Clwb Finyl - Music appreciation society!

Hello, I’m Martin from Community Music Wales, we’ve been funded to run a series of “Clwb Finyl” sessions with Welsh learners across Wales. The idea is that one of our experienced Welsh tutors meets on a regular basis with groups of Welsh learners to discuss music.

It can be any type of music, but it would be great, and I think beneficial if the discussions were around music made by artists who sing in Welsh. Don’t worry if you don’t have any or much knowledge of Welsh language music, our tutors have a wealth of knowledge, and will be able to point you in the right direction, and introduce you to some great sounds, some of them are successful musicians on the Welsh language music scene!

Anyway, we are looking for existing groups of Welsh learners who meet regularly where we can introduce “Clwb Finyl” either as part of your regular sessions, or as an extra. We’re very flexible, so if you’re interested, and have any thoughts or ideas please do let me know!

Diolch yn fawr iawn, siarad yn fuan,

Martin

5 Likes

Well done for managing to get to grips with the forum, Martin! :star2:

I think this is an excellent idea.

@Deborah-SSi - could we put it in the next newsletter, ogydd?

Hi Martin - Are you the Martin Hoyland out of 9Bach, then? Top, top band! Croeso i’r fforwm! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Rob, yes I am in 9Bach, glad you like, glad you’ve heard of us! Diolch, Martin

5 Likes

Hi Martin,

Sounds like a grand idea. I’m a big fan of Welsh language music, so please count me in anything you end up arranging :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Nicky, great, we’re looking for some SSI Welsh groups that already meet regularly, that we could deliver this to,
do you have a group that you meet up with? Diolch, Martin

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi - could you maybe tag some of the group organisers in this thread? :star2:

2 Likes

So what’s the deal, Martin? I get a mental image of someone pitching up at our Wednesday night pub group in Llandrindod with a wind-up gramophone and a copy of Sneb yn Becso Dam under his/her arm. And then we all stroke our chins and discuss Dewi Pws’s and Clive Harpwood’s relative contributions to the band while Gwenwyn Yn Y Gwaed crackles away in the background?

If that’s the case, then obviously I’m in, but we might need to find a different venue (it’s a very small pub)! :smile:

3 Likes

yes something like that, but I’d be reluctant to make you change venue if the pub you were meeting in didn’t want us to play music, so maybe it could start with a first initial meeting to talk about music in general, our tutor could gauge your musical interests and likes, and then get you to listen to a few albums through the week, which can be discussed at the next meet up? If possible we could even arrange for the group to go to a gig together at some point, which would be a great night out, and also great discussion at the next meeting! As mentioned before we’re quite flexible, so these are my ideas, and anyone is welcome to develop the ideas!
Diolch,
Martin

2 Likes

Sounds good. I’ll talk to the regulars (group regulars, not pub regulars) tonight and gauge interest. The pub is banned from playing amplified music in the terms of its licence, by the way. That’s one of the reasons we meet there, that and the beer.

1 Like

That’s great, thanks a lot Rob, Martin

This is something of interest to all of you who are contacts for the SSiW Meetups, so tagging here some of the more active ones who don’t seem to be here yet, and I’ll include this thread in the next weekly email to catch the rest.

@maynard, @markwatkinprice, @mikefarnworth, @jonthomas, @daimorgan, @johnwilliams_6, @ji_1, @conradbryant, @jonathan_simcock_7, @ali, @cuckoo, @andyjone, @helenlindsay, @jeanbrandwood, @arianrhod

2 Likes

Hi Martin,
Fantastic idea. I get the impression you’re looking at launching this quite rightly, yng Nghymru. However, a little bird told me once you were heavily connected with Brighton. If you’re ever at a loose end in this area, you will be very welcome at one of the Cacen group sessions which meet up second Saturday monthly.
Pob lwc with the project - it will certainly shake a lot of us out of our comfort zones and inject some hwyl.
Dymunidau gorau
Mark

1 Like

This sounds brilliant, just right for our Monday night group in Tafarn y Dyfi. Thanks for the tag @Deborah-SSi.

2 Likes

This sounds great. Is our group in Liverpool eligible for a visit? Our city is famous for being the unofficial capital of North Wales and our Welsh group meets just across the road from Penny Lane. Some of us are 9Bach fans too.

1 Like

Diolch @Deborah-SSi @MartinHoyland - if there’s the possibility of including our Oxford group in this that would be great - and maybe we could even team up with learners in the university’s Welsh soc Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym. Hwyl, John

1 Like

Diolch Dee a Martin. I’m a huge fan of Welsh language music as are some others in our Manchester group. 9 Bach was actually one of the first live Welsh bands I saw about 6 years ago at the Pesda Roc with Lleuwen and Steve Eaves. The owner of the new Welsh cafe where we now meet is also a big fan of Welsh music and I imagine would be very welcoming of this idea if it was allowed across the border! :grinning:

2 Likes

sounds good… if ever you are in East Anglia ( Cambridge and Norwich) give me a shout …plenty of Welsh speakers here !

2 Likes

Brilliant idea Martin.
Thanks for playing Cambridge Junction.

2 Likes

Diolch Dee!

1 Like