Coventry/Birmingham SSiW weekend trip to Welsh speaking Wales?

Shwmae pawb! In the last Coventry garden centre meetup we got talking about the idea of having our own DIY mini-bwtcamp by having a weekend away in Welsh speaking Wales. Are you interested @andyjone, @mintonman, @TrevorJones2, @lornarhodes, @Isata, @alice9, (sorry I haven’t listed everyone from Cov and Brum SSiW, just couldn’t find you listed on Forum).

Ideally, we’d book a Friday off work, travel there on that Friday, stay two nights at somewhere reasonably priced, travel back on the Sunday and then use the time between to experience the place - setting a rule (here’s the fun bit) of no English spoken from the moment we start the journey to the moment we get back.

In the first instance, please let me know if you’re interested in the idea and have a think about suggesting a place (e.g. Machynlleth, Caernarvon, Aberystwyth etc - but let’s stick to places with a lot of Welsh spoken in the street) and things to do (e.g. museum, gallery, etc). It would also be good to coincide it with a local SSiw meetup if we can, we can then start thinking about a suitable weekend later this year and look at reasonably priced local accommodation.

Hwyl, Dave D

5 Likes

I would certainly be interested, though it would depend on when. We might want to avoid peak holiday times when things get booked up and expensive, and there are a few things happening over the coming months that might get in my way, but in principle, it sounds like a great idea!

2 Likes

Dw i ar y Bwtcamp yn Tresaith ar hyn o bryd Felly rhaid i mi ateb yn y Gymraeg. Liciwn i fynd i’r mini Bwtcamp. Pan es i i Gaernarfon blwyddyn diwetha, oedd llawer o bobl yn siarad Cymraeg at y stryd.

4 Likes

I’m interested!

A few of us already started to compare our diaries at the garden centre, and then on a little choir trip to Amwythig: and the weekend after the August bank holiday (30/8 to 1/9) was the only one which looked mutually good for all of those in those chats. That’s definitely not avoiding peak holiday season, of course - but we didn’t yet look at diaries past September …

2 Likes

Pob lwc a hwyl efo’r bŵtcamp, Trefor! Wi’n edrych ymlaen at dy straeon di ar ôl y peth :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@david-davies Yes I’m up for it too.

Andy

2 Likes

I know that it’s not spoken on the streets really, but how about you go to the Tafwyl Festival in Cardiff, or the Eisteddfod in Llanrwst? You’d hear LOTS of Welsh spoken at the Eisteddfod! From what you’ve listed I’d go for Aberystwyth or Caernarfon.

3 Likes

Diolch Caren! Thanks for this advice, we need to pick the right place. I hadn’t heard of the Tafwyl Festival (but have now looked it up online), that’s a great tip.

If you do plan to Caernarfon. Let me know. I am here. Maybe I can plan some stuff. We had great fun last week.

3 Likes

Have you checked out accommodation in Llanrug? High percentage of Welsh speakers there…

3 Likes

Thanks Rohini!

Sounds good thanks!

Shwmae pawb,

Sori, dw i’n ysgrifennu hwn yn hwyr!

Please get back to me Coventry and Brum SSiWers to let me know

if the weekend after the August bank holiday (30/8 to 1/9) is any good for you
Which weekends you can do in September and October

I’ll then try to get us settled on a weekend (quicker than I have so far!)

@mintonman, @andyjone, @lornarhodes, @TrevorJones2, @Isata, please forward to any other @names you know.

Diolch

Hi all,

Here’s an easy way to answer @david-davies’ question about weekends - https://doodle.com/poll/q52vt3ep4ztyh4a4 (apologies, David, I said I would set this up earlier).

Just enter your name, click on the weekends you can do and hit send. (I included November weekends too, just in case).

There’s an option to indicate “Yes, if need be” instead of a whole-hearted “Yes”, if there are weekends that are a bit inconvenient, but you could do if no other options. When I view the site on my mobile, I do this by clicking the checkbox twice: it may work differently in a desktop or tablet browser, but there should be instructions at the top of the screen if needed.

I’ll send results to David as people fill it in.

Thanks for pursuing this David!

Mark :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doodle form duly filled in! Unfortunately my availability for late September and most of October has been knocked out by going on holiday and being booked to play for a performance of Gounod’s opera Romeo et Juliette.

Trevor

I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to give this one a miss. I’ve just got too much going on this year. Fingers crossed you have such a great time that you organise something again next year, when I’m more likely to be able to come…

Hi Mark thanks for sending out the Doodle Poll, I haven’t used it before looks very useful!

Also folks, does anyone fancy a trip to Llandudno to the learners group on Saturday 13th July? Nia (first language speaker coach from SSiW) has announced a meetup there for anyone who wants to make it… Caffi Captain’s Table, Pen y Gogarth / Great Orme, LL30 2XF, 10am start (eek!). It’s a SSiw meetup first followed by a day out in Llandudno.