Lift Sharing Wales - Eisteddfods/Gigs/Events/Bootcamps šŸš—

Helo @mari-hughes-haddon. Iā€™ll happily go via Y Bermo and offer you a lift.
Can you send me a PM with your preferred pick-up point and whether youā€™d like a lift back on Sunday?
The same applies to you @BronwenLewis, if youā€™re still interested, :smile:

Helo, pawb. This post may only partially suit this thread, so apologies in advance, and here goesā€¦Iā€™m coming from the US and will be flying into Birmingam the morning of the 29th. Iā€™m booked into a hostel in Caernarfon Thursday the 30th, through Monday June 3. That leaves Wednesday the 29th to play with. Any recommendations of where to stop on my way from Birmingham to Caernarfon? I figure I might as well stop in a nice town/city/village on my way from Birmingam to Caernarfon, one that is served by train and/or bus, and would love some suggestions. As for the part that is relevant to this thread, is there someone who lives between B. and C. who will be driving to Caernarfon on Thursday the 30th and who would be interested in some company (and someone to chip in for petrol)? If so that might guide my choice of stopover. Thanks for indulging this only partial relevance to the thread, and for any recommendations of what to see on my way. Diolch!

Edited for privacy

Hi Huw, Iā€™ve replied but itā€™s gone on at Number 28 of this thread :joy:

Hello Mari. I got your post thanks but have edited it out for your privacy.
Iā€™ll send you a private message with my personal e-mail and mobile number so we can finalise our arrangements. You can reply to it or let me know here if you donā€™t see it. If so, Iā€™ll try to suggest a work around. :smile:

1 Like

There are quite a few SSiWers in the Coventry/Birmingham area - I donā€™t know which ones will be coming to the party or when, but it might be worth you checking out this thread to ask for lifts in case they donā€™t see your post here.

As for where to stay between Birmingham and Caernarfon, the train does stop at various places on the North Wales coast - you could go all the way to Bangor and stay there for the night or you might want to stop off in Conwy and see the castle.
The buses will take considerably longer but would go through some very pretty inland towns/villages, especially one that went along the A5 - Llangollen or Betws y Coed could be stops on that route.

Iā€™ll be driving from Caernarfon to the Wrecsam/Oswestry area on Mon 3rd June and Iā€™d be happy to offer a lift to anyone who might need one

Iā€™ve just had an idea regarding posting on this thread.

If you are posting offering a lift or seeking a lift, would it make it easier for anyone scrolling through quickly if they were posted like thisā€¦?

Cardiff to Bangor 27/06/19 - LIFT AVAILABLE
Hi, I will be travelling from Cardiffā€¦

or

Cardiff to Bangor 27/06/19 - SEEKING LIFT
Hi, iā€™m looking to travel from Cardiffā€¦

Or am I just being picky on a morning after a difficult night and when I canā€™t find my reading glassesā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

Or am I just being picky on a morning after a difficult night and when I canā€™t find my reading glassesā€¦ :rofl:

Probably :wink: but theyā€™re excellent suggestions anyway. Felly:-

Ystrad Meurig-Aberystwyth-Machynlleth-Dolgellau-Barmouth-Caernarfon 31/5 - 2/6/19
Two more places offered to and from the party

2 Likes

Yes, a great idea :slightly_smiling_face:, so from me:

Caernarfon to Wrecsam / Oswestry Mon 3/06/19 - LIFT AVAILABLE

1 Like

Lift available:
Llanelli to Caernarfon Thurs 30/05/19
Caernarfon to Llanelli Mon 03/06/19

Actually. Catrin, this is an extremely helpful idea. Diolch yn fawr!

Diolch yn fawr iawn, Siaron for these excellent suggestions! And, yes, good thought, I will also post in the Coventry/Birmingham thread. I have such a hard time choosing, when I travel, - I want to see it all! I may end up deciding where to spend the night based on where I can find a hostel.

I was in Wales for the first time about 18 years ago with my parents, over a decade before I started learning Welsh, and we visited Conwy. I LOVED the castle. And I remember taking a photo outside the Smallest House in Britain, which was closed that day, alas. We also stayed a couple nights in Llandudno, also lovely. Thatā€™s where I first encountered the double L sound. I remember the woman who ran the bed and breakfast instructing me to put the tip of my tongue on the roof of my mouth and blow air out the sides. All this time later, Iā€™m still working on perfecting my ā€œllā€. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If youā€™ve already seen (bits of) the North coast and want to go for a different view, an alternative could be to take the train to Machynlleth instead. From there youā€™d have the choice of either going up the West coast on the train (but youā€™d have to get off at either Porthmadog or Pwllheli and get a bus to Caernarfon from those), or going up through the middle via Dolgellau to Caernarfon on the bus.
There are quite a few hostels around depending on your route/mode of transport. This site might be useful - https://independenthostels.co.uk/snowdonia-north-wales-bunkhouses-camping-barns-hostels/ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, thanks, @siaronjames! Excellent and super helpful information. Much appreciated! :grinning:

2 Likes

aw, shucks, just happy to help! :blush:

1 Like

Hi everyone, wondering if there is anyone I could share a lift with to the Party . Iā€™m in South West in Bath but could get to Bristol or Cardiff and obviously happy to share petrol costs - thanks Karyn

My flight confirmation came in today, completely upending any travel plans I madeā€¦ I am flying in on Thursday 30th and wanted to go up by train and bus, but my flight has been kicked so far back that I wonā€™t be able to reach Caernarfon in time to check into my hotel. So now I am forced to stay the night in Birmingham, going up to Caernarfon on Friday instead. Soā€¦

SEEKING lift from Birmingham to Caernarfon on Friday, May 31st
SEEKING lift from Caernarfon to Birmingham on Sunday, June 9th
@Isata ?

1 Like

SEEKING LIFT:
Cardiff to Caernarfon Friday 31st May
Caernarfon to Cardiff Sunday 2nd June

Looking for a lift to and from the party. Anyone driving up from the Cardiff area (or South East Wales in general)?

Hello, I live in Conwy, which is very pretty and interesting and would be happy for you to stay with us on 29 May. Weā€™re on the train line and there is a direct bus to Caernarfon, takes an hour. Let me know if you havenā€™t had a better offer. Kay

3 Likes