Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Thanks @Deborah-SSi and @Irina! I’m almost ready to commit to the 6 month course! I’m a little confused though (it doesn’t take much to confuse me :upside_down_face: ) - is the 6 months course totally different from ‘Course 1, 2 and 3’ that I see mentioned? If not, does the £100 cover all three courses, or only 1? I don’t even know if I’m making myself clear or not?! Can you enlighten me?!

Hi My Name is Roy, I started to learn Welsh with the Urdd years ago but work stopped me… I brought my Children Iolo and Gwenyth Angharad back from the Philippines when they were born so they could learn Welsh. They now go to Welsh School and speak Welsh.
Im now hopping to be able to with them in our own language . Hwyl fawr

3 Likes

I’m sure somebody more knowledgeable will come along but this is my take on it as a new-ish learner: I too was very confused by all the possibilities offered here and the differences between them. So I just closed my eyes and clicked the 6 months course in the end :joy: Now I know that:

• 6 months course covers Levels 1 and 2 in six months (two challenges per week)
  • 6 minutes a day course covers the same Levels 1 and 2 in one year (one challenge per week)
  • Level 3 is “Deep End” and you need a monthly subscription for it either way
  • There used to be “Courses 1-3” before but then they got re-vamped and are now called Levels

So basically you can start on your own because some of Level 1 is available for free (like 15 challenges, but I’m not sure). However I’m glad that I committed to the course right away because there was a lot of uncertainty on my part about about how to do the challenges (what to aim for, how many repetitions) AND the human touch is invaluable - actually talking to people from day 1, participating in video sessions and other activities like Post Card Club that I wouldn’t have been brave enough to join otherwise. I was very enthusiastic about learning Welsh to begin with but I’m even more motivated now with all this support…

4 Likes

@Irina…thank you SO much :star_struck: that is very helpful! I’m going to go ahead and click on the 6 months course! I’m so excited (having just done the 1 sentence a day for 5 days, I truly believe this method is going to work for me)! One last (slightly personal) question…what does ‘5 Minuter’ mean by your name?! So - I’m now off to commit myself…wish me luck, and maybe we’ll see each other on here again :woman_student: ?!

4 Likes

I’m so glad to hear that and looking forward to seeing more of you here and on Slack too, this is where the video chats happen! Good luck with setting up the shop!
“5 minuter” means that I can say a set of sentences based on specific prompts in 5 minutes. You’ll have this stylish badge before long too! :cat:

1 Like

Hi @trish-2,
I’m so glad that you are enjoying SSiW. I have been learning for just over 2 years now, and I have had a great time.

For more information about the 5 Minuter and coloured badges, you could look at this thread where Aran explained it. (It has been posted before, but you might not want to go through the whole long thread!)

Sue

3 Likes

Thanks, @Betterlatethan/Sue!

Croeso, John, on i’n siarad gyda fy nhad heno. Roedd yn gweithio yn Vivian Pit. Mae’n ddrwg 'da fy ond nid yw’n cofio Ken. Mae’n 83, felly his memory isn’t what it was. Dad sounded genuinely interested but couldn’t recall Ken. That’s what 60 years does to the grey matter I suppose.
Hwyl fawr, Gareth

3 Likes

Shwmae! I live in Russia and learn Cymraeg with Duolingo. I am in love with the Welsh language and am very happy about the new opportunity to learn it.
I always liked the Celts, but in our culture they know very little about them. And now I can feel how they speak and think! This is a miracle)

4 Likes

Croeso @eirwen-1

Welcome to the forum. Where are you in Russia? How did you discover Welsh?

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in Moscow.
I decided to improve my English on the Duolingo website. When I finished the course, I found many languages with the help of English.
Welsh chose because she knew that it retained a lively old speech. This is incredibly interesting! And the Welsh turned out to be surprisingly beautiful.

3 Likes

:+1: SSIW is a great way to learn to speak the language very quickly. The forum is for questions and answers or just to communicate with other learners.

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is wonderful. My English is very poor, now I have to learn two languages at once. And it’s not bad :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Don’t worry about your English. No one is going to be checking on it :grinning:. Its only a tool for you to use to learn Welsh. Although it looks good to me.

So feel free to ask any questions at any time :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I apologize in advance because I can write something ridiculous. But this is not evil but mistake :blush:

2 Likes

I’m sure I’m making more mistakes in Welsh than you are in English.

2 Likes

:smile:

Hello Everyone. I have just started learning Welsh (a couple of months) and very much like SSIW as an accompaniment to my Duolingo Course. I am an ex pat from the UK with Welsh parents and ancestors from way back. My mother had a bit of Welsh and this site takes me back to her memory. Being an old lady myself now, I know I will never become a fluent Welsh speaker or, indeed, manage to visit the land of my fathers but hey - learning the language of my fathers is so very pleasing. Thank you all involved in setting up these courses. I so much appreciate it.

6 Likes

Watch out - I think people tend to accidentally become fluent with the courses here! :wink:

4 Likes

Learning a third language through one that you’re also still learning is a brilliant way to strengthen them both! Da iawn ti! Keep at it and I think we’ll have to organise a SSiW outing to Moscow! Great excuse :slight_smile:

3 Likes