Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hi All! I’ve been living in Mid-Wales for the best part of 46 years or so and I feel it’s about time I learned to speak Welsh. This is something I’ve always wanted to do but…then I came across SSi about a week ago and this way of learning just looks and seems so promising! I just did lesson one and Yes, I get it, this is a brilliant way of teaching and learning, so glad to be on board. Diolch!

5 Likes

Croeso Jude
welcome here and congratulation for your great start. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome, Jude! Have fun with your Welsh, and never hesitate to come here and ask any questions you might have!

2 Likes

Ie…like: dach chi’n cofio y gair am hamster?
Yes…like: do you know the word for hamster?
:hamster:

3 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Jude - great to hear you’re off to such a good start! :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

Hello,
I’ve just started the 1 sentence and about to plunge into day 5. It’s great so far…my partner is also learning so we practise together. We’re moving to North Wales this summer and value the Welsh language and culture and looking forward to learning at least some Welsh. Thanks for setting up the course like this, I seem to be able to retain the words and their meaning and we’re visiting our new home next week so will try out…
Sue

4 Likes

Hi Sue,

Well all of that sounds very exciting - and you have a ready made practice partner - fantastic!

Welcome to the forum which is great place for questions and friendly advice.

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to hear that you’re off to such a flying start, Sue! And a very warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome, Sue! Good luck with your move, and have fun with your Welsh! How lucky you are to be learning with your partner! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I cannot believe how much I have learned in just 4 days! It’s more than I’ve learned in the 46 years I’ve lived in Wales. Impressive way of teaching! I am loving this!!!

6 Likes

So delighted you’re off to such a brilliant start, Jude! :star: :star2:

Just did my first sentance with my 7 year old who’s begun learning Welsh at school. Already forgotten everything but hoping to remember tomorrow! I did it through the £100 link but I haven’t paid yet - not sure what I should do about that! Linda

1 Like

Memory happens in layers, so you’d doing the right thing… :slight_smile: If there’s a problem with payment or access to the 6 month course, just drop admin@saysomethingin.com a line and they’ll be able to help sort you out. :slight_smile:

Just done my first Welsh sentence challenge and enjoyed it. I was undecided about learning Welsh or Cornish (my mother was Cornish) but as I live on the Cheshire/Shropshire border and not far from North Wales, Welsh is more local. I enjoyed learning languages at school and now that I’m retired and house-bound, I just need to keep my brain working. I might never use the language but would enjoy watching the Royal Welsh show in its original language!

3 Likes

Good choice Christine :wink: Yes it sounds like you are in a perfect - and probably very lovely - spot. Keep up the good work…the forum is a great place come for friendly help and advice.

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’m not sure where to write since I don’t see a blue box ;-; anyways, I’ve just started but I’m already loving this! it’s really helpful and the people in here feel very welcoming, which I am very grateful for ^0^. I am in Asia, but wanted to study Welsh because of Taron Egerton (some might say that’s the most stupid reason, but I really like him, and I think that’s more than enough, he’s such a dork, I love him so much) and I’m actually going great! I’m learning a lot, and I hope I keep on learning, this is such a wonderful language, I’m sad I’ve only heard of it because of Taron :’<. Thank you so much for this wonderful website, it helped me a lot <3.

4 Likes

Hello there, and welcome!
Anyway, any reason to study Welsh is a good reason. :wink:
I started because I liked a few songs in Welsh, and by the way, I’m still enjoying it and even learning a lot of things about Wales I didn’t know too, so I would say…,don’t worry!
Enjoy, and let us know how you’re doing! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi all! I’ve just finished the first lesson after being directed from a list on /r/learnwelsh (I’m not usually a reddit user - I just googled Welsh learning resources!). It was a wonderful way to get into actually speaking welsh instead of reading it!

I started learning Welsh on Duolingo because I was going to play a Dungeons & Dragons character with a Welsh accent. I wanted to do a halfway decent job at it so I thought I may as well learn a bit of Welsh to get into the swing of it. The game fell through before I could play her, but after 41 day streak of Duolingo’s Welsh course later, I’ve found myself addicted to learning this beautiful language! Many people in my life have been very confused and maybe a little judgey as to why I would learn Welsh as opposed to more popular languages (for instance Japanese, German, Italian, Spanish…) so I’m quite pleased to be here :blush:

If anyone here is from Adelaide (or South Australia) I’d be very excited to speak with you about learning Welsh! I’ve lived in Adelaide my whole life.

7 Likes

Hey Kai, welcome to the club of those learning an unusual language instead of the most popular ones (I’m pretty sure that all learners from outside Wales have heard it at least once) :wink:

I like your reason to learn it, too bad you didn’t have the chance to play your character. But in some time from now you might even consider a Welsh speaking character and get everybody a bit confused. :grin:
By the way one of the things that charmed me of Welsh is the fact it often sounded like someone casting all sorts of spells, I’m sure it would work fine in the context! :laughing:

5 Likes

Thank you! (I don’t doubt it - I think my family members think it’s some strange phase but jokes on them because I’ll be the first bilingual member for a couple of generations should all go well :P)

I’ve actually planned a Welsh-speaking character in the future and I’ve been intent on learning as much Welsh as possible before the campaign begins to bamboozle the other players! :joy:

It does have quite a magical sound to it! :smile:

4 Likes