Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Sut mae Iestyn. You know me as I came to the launch of SSIW all those years ago and even though I’ve done a lot of Welsh learning I still struggle with listening and understanding so I’ve decided to come back for another go! The other reason is I have three colleagues who are learning with this method and we meet up once a week if we can and have a lunchtime chat - Cinio Cymraeg - where we help each other. The only thing I’m struggling with at the moment is the long sentences so I have to write them down before translating as I cant remember all the sentence - a sign of old age.

I work for the RSPB in Cardiff and that’s the only place I get to speak Welsh as I don’t have family or friends who are Welsh speakers that I speak to often. I’m really enjoying what I’ve done so far. I’m so glad that SSIW is such a success.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Vera.
The lunchtime chat sounds like a great idea!

Many of us - including myself -struggle with the long sentences. But from my experience, they all work out in the end: I actually followed the guidelines not too worry too much about getting it all right at once - just say whatever you’re able to say, even if it’s just one or two words. Most of the sentences will come back in next lessons and will just naturally get better. (some maybe won’t. I wrote them down too, later, and it sure helped getting them all correct).

3 Likes

Bumped with a tag :+1:
Welcome back!
Oh…you have your own cwrs :hushed:

I was there too, rather nervously giving a little speech, but it’s amazing to think how far SSiW has come since those days. Great to have you back with us @vera-vaughan!

4 Likes

I just did my fifth sentence and I’m quite enjoying it! Am thoroughly enjoying learning Welsh.
Looking forward to the next sentence!
:slightly_smiling_face:flagofwales_6353

8 Likes

Great, Anna! And welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi my Father spoke welsh fluently as did many relations when I was growing up. Apart from a few words I know nothing and don’t know how to put a sentence together. I’m really hoping this will help me and look forward to learning more. I was really pleased to find this.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Ceri! It’s going to be interesting to see how much passive Welsh you might have in there - the first few lessons will soon show if you do… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr! That’s one I do remember.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Ceri! Have fun and be sure to come ask any questions, we are always willing to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Anna.

2 Likes

Hi everyone I am very excited to be here. I live in Hobart Tasmania Australia. I was born in England and emigrated with my family in 1965. My unmarried name is Owen so I have always been convinced I must have Welsh ancestors! I love myth and magic and dragons and have felt compelled to learn Welsh for many years. I tried to enrol in a U3A (over 55’s) course but I was too late to start this year. Forynately the teacher kindly referred me to the SSiW course and hear I am. I just completed the first lesson and love it already :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome Carole! Have fun with your Welsh, and here’s a little dragon fun, too! :grin:

3 Likes

Hi @carole-3! Believe it or not, there is a SSiW conversation group that meets once a month in Hobart. Have you heard of it? This is the information from the list at the end of the weekly newsletter:

Hobart, Tasmania – 1st Weds of the month, 1.30pm, Australian Antarctic Centre Café, 203 Channel Highway, Kingston (Contact @guynicholson )

3 Likes

Sut mae pawb :slight_smile: I’m Jennie, I live in Treorchy and I began to learn Welsh about 10 years ago but life got in the way and I am now quite rusty. Hoping to be able to do SSiW during my commute to work in Cardiff and Swansea. I work for a charity, doing campaigning, so Welsh is all around me and I want to understand better what’s going on! Also my 2 daughters are in Welsh medium education and I’d like to be able to get involved in their gwaith cartref a bit more.

I have struggled to find time to attend lessons in between work and family life - so far SSiW seems like an ideal way to learn :smile:

7 Likes

Croeso Jennie, welcome at the forum.
Yes, SSiW is the ideal way to learn to speak Welsh. Enjoy your learning and if you ever have a question, come here to get help. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome, Jennie! Sounds like SSiW will be a great fit for you. Have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Helo ffrindiau :blush: I’ve taken the plunge and making a serious attempt learning Welsh as I connecting with my Welsh roots (my Grandma was from Abersychan but sadly I never her as she died before I was born) :pensive: I live in Lancashire so tend to visit North Wales as its closer to me, so I hope to learn a north Welsh dialect :blush: I’m hoping to find Welsh speaking or expatriate groups near Wigan which I could join to practice in between my visits to Wales…could you advise me please? Diolch :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:blush::sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Welcome to SSiW and the forum Diane :slight_smile:
There is an email you can subscribe to that has lists of groups and meetings in all sorts of places - I’m tagging @Deborah-SSi for you, as she can tell you more about that.

3 Likes

Thank you :relieved: that’s great and thank you so much for your help x

2 Likes