Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hi there,
My name is Julie. I just started SiW and have done Day 2. I’m using the North Wales program. I noticed for words like “dysgu” and “caru” in which the “u” is much like an English strong “e” sound (ē) that it sounds like Aran (if that’s you on the recording) :slight_smile: that it seems like you’re saying that sound a little further back, maybe positioning your tongue further back than English “e” ? Is that true? I’m trying to match your sound. I’m from the US (Southern California) and I’m sure even if I try very hard to get the accent, I won’t get it perfect. A native of Wales will be able to tell I’m not from there (if I get to visit someday) but I still want to get as close as I can.
Pointers, please. :slight_smile:
Also, i used Duolingo to learn some Scottish Gaelic, which was great since they used native speakers. But I had no patience for Duolingo Welsh. They have a really dreadful computer voice that doesn’t get pronunciations right. Finding your program is wonderful and I’m so grateful.
One of my reasons for changing to learn Welsh is I fell in love with the song “Dacw 'Nghariad” as sung by Eve Goodman. It seems like a fairly popular folk song given that there are multiple versions on YouTube.
Thanks in advance for a pronunciation tip.
Pob hwyl,
Julie

3 Likes

For me, today is what Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables would have called a “Jonah day.” I really wasn’t feeling like doing my 1SiW day 4 lesson. But finally, at 11 pm my time, i decided not to skip it. Wouldn’t you know, it actually felt fairly easy today. There was only one new word added. I made a couple minor mistakes.
Actually, yesterday’s lesson wasn’t too super hard. And the last two days, I’ve been doing the lessons precisely as Aran recommends in his learning advice. Each night, when I go to sleep, i spend a little while saying sentences I’ve learned.
Onward and upward. Let’s see if I can keep this up without missing a day for all of 1SiW. I think this is a short program regarding number of lessons, so the plan is to not miss.
Alright, that’s how I’m doing. Pob hwyl

4 Likes

Ok, looks like Day 5 is the last day of 1SiW. Now, per program advice, I’ll rest a few days. Then see what my next email says. I think there’s other free lessons in the app and I know there is on YouTube, so I’ll probably work through those before I start a paid program, but I’ll keep visiting the forums here too.
Pob hwyl! :hibiscus:

5 Likes

Just completed my first challenge and am really pleased. Pressed pause 3× so I could assimilate what was just said in English. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It can take a little time to remember the English but most people say they get better at it as they work through the course :slight_smile:

I’m sure I will, and it’s not at all bothering me. I was just surprised not remembering the order in my own language !!! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Also, depending on exposure to local English, it sometimes takes a while to tune in.

1 Like

I can now do the fisrt sentene of challeng 1 wuthout stopping !!! Yaay !

4 Likes

Sorry for typos…fat finger syndrome and lack of checking !

2 Likes

Hi there. I have lived in Wales for 7 years and feel sad that I don’t understand enough Welsh to talk to people so I decided to do this as I want to be able to speak to my clients in Welsh. I am a counsellor and mental health trainer and excited to get started!

7 Likes

Hi there!

I’m Samiya, I’m eighteen (nearly nineteen!), I live in Wales - and it’s very nice to meet you all!

I’m doing some online courses to help me brush up on my Welsh so I can use it when I get a job. I know a little bit already (I’ve been taught some in school, but I think I’ve forgotten some!), but I’d like to learn a bit more. The online courses I’m doing include you on their ‘additonal resources’ page as a good way to practice, so that’s how I found my way here! :slight_smile: I did the first practice session, and really enjoyed it!

6 Likes

Hi, I’m from Poland and I’ve just started learning Welsh. Well, lately I’ve been obsessed with learning languages in general and Welsh sounds so beautifouly that I had to put it on my „to learn” list. Found out about this website from TikTok. :sweat_smile: Hope to learn about culture, history and visit Wales one day too. :smile: :heartpulse:

7 Likes

S’mae, pawb!

I’m from Wales, I have a GCSE © in it from roughly a decade ago and have recently been trying to get back into it for both business and personal reasons, but I’ve needed some structure. Hopefully, here to learn a little more.

4 Likes

Hello-I’m just starting the course .I’m puzzled as I have an email for Task 2 but just keep getting the introduction and not Task 2.
I will post when I know what I think about anything! Am in Colorado, US. Jill

1 Like

Croeso @jill-13

… I will just tag @Deborah-SSi as she will likely be able to check on your status.

Enjoy the course - good choice! :wink:

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think I’ve answered @jill-13 in an email, but this happens when someone starts the free taster 1 Sentence course, then before finishing it decides to subscribe and register for the 6 Minutes course. The system swaps them over, so their current status will be showing the Introduction for the 6 Minutes course. Anyone keen to get started can always email admin@saysomethingin.com and ask to be moved onto Week 1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

The course is fun, am retired but don’t have much spare time to post although I know the forum will be useful.
Am having difficulty pronouncing Alla i ddim and eisiau fi and making them sound different.
May want to live near Kidwelly when husband retires, am in Colorado now. Jill

2 Likes

Initially, sounds that are different to your mother tongue can be hard to distinguish, but the more you listen and attempt to say them, the more your ears will tune in and you’ll improve. Try to minimise any looking at how the words are written and really focus on listening to them. That will give the auditory processing part of your brain the best chance to learn.

Thank you Deborah-I will.

Thank you for welcoming my return to Saysomethingin. My daughter lives in N. Wales and her two son are being taught in Welsh. This, plus the fact that we have been involved with the Ffestinig Railway for many years, encourages me to learn Welsh.

3 Likes