East Coast Time Zone Meetup Beginning

are you still having the thursday meetings

Helo, MarkEvans

You are more than welcome to join any Thursday you wish. We have a wide range of speakers from beginners to intermediates and both dialects (North & South) are well represented. The goal of the group is to speak Cymraeg with others and learn new words and phrases. The best way to learn a language is to speak it. If there are words you don’t know in Cymraeg, say them in English. We tend to speak about 60%-70% English and 30%-40% Cymraeg.

How each meeting is structured is someone speaks on the given topic by saying a couple of sentences in Cymraeg and then translating it into English. There are always new words to learn and this helps everyone learn those words. After the person is finished, each listener asks the speaker a question about their story. We usually get 3-7 people and it works out pretty well.

How would you classify your speaking level: Beginner, beginner/intermediate, intermediate, fluent
Which dialect do you prefer: North or South

Login details are below
THIS IS A WEEKLY MEETING EACH THURSDAY AT 7PM EST . All are welcome to join .

Conference Information below: You can either call-in via the call-in number or video-conference.

Dial-in number (US): (605) 475-4896

Access code: 267527#

Online meeting ID: delawarejones

Join the online meeting: https://join.freeconferencecall.com/delawarejones

2 Likes

@jennifer-thomas-mend @violetsnow @Allison @Abbey @laurawydapszeniczny @sarah-17 @Bobi @matt-oliver @KellyMoore @rdavidclark

Since I was sick last week, this week’s topic will remain the same. Let’s work on our adjectives and tell the group about a cool place you have visited. Here’s a link to a page loaded with adjectives to assist. See you this Thursday! Wela i chi I gyd dydd lau 'ma.

1 Like

@johnowen @sasha-lathrop @matt-oliver @markevans

Since I was sick last week, this week’s topic will remain the same. Let’s work on our adjectives and tell the group about a cool place you have visited. Here’s a link to a page loaded with adjectives to assist. See you this Thursday! Wela i chi I gyd dydd lau 'ma.

2 Likes

@delawarejones I am not in your East Coast group (obviously - being in southern England!), but just glancing at this thread I followed the link to that vocab list, which is an extremely useful set of adjectives, really good. All the better that I recognised a good number of them, which should be encouraging to try and learn the rest.

May I add that I also like your laid-back hangout format of mixing Cymraeg with Saesneg and translating where necessary - i think this is so much more relaxed and inviting for new learners. Da iawn!

4 Likes

Diolch Alan am dy geiriau caredig! My long terms plans, if such a thing were to happen would be to have 3 groups. One for beginners, intermediates and advanced meeting at the same time. We are far from that. Dw i’n hapus fedrai i siarad Cymraeg efo rhywun pob wythnos. The group is amazing and so supportive of each other. It’s a great place to learn.

3 Likes

Hiiiii… I was out all day and I almost forgot about today’s meetup! I’m not ready at all… I have no idea what to say and if my only other experience speaking Welsh to a human (one-on-one) is any indication, I will forget 99% of what I have learned! So, I am still super curious (and curiosity is the antidote to anxiety…) so what do I do if I can’t think of anything at all to say…? Should I wait until next week? What do super-beginners do? Diolch!

Aaarrrggghhh, last minute issues, won’t be there tonight. Sorry!

@sasha-lathrop Just join in and listen-you don’t have to speak if you’re not ready. You may surprise yourself, you never know! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please join! Then you can hear me bumble my way through what I have to say!!

1 Like

Diolch! I’ll try to face my fear… taking long deep breaths, ahhhh… :sweat_smile:

Oh… I don’t even know how to find it or join in… might have to be next week.

1 Like

There is a post in this topic 4 days ago by @delawarejones giving information on how to join. Come on go for it​:+1::hugs:

1 Like

Helo, Sasha-Lathrop

We just finished our session and our topic was about an interesting place you visited and everyone has a place I want to go, or remembered going to. We always have a lot of fun and this week we had 8 people, so it even more enjoyable, and even had a new member, @markevans (who did excellent for his first time!) Some lucky people travelled to Wales, Ireland, and England. Others brought us to the Catskill mountains and even a Welsh Rugby match in the US. Next week, our topic (thanks to KellyMoore for suggesting it) is the fun our children have with slime and the problems it creates for parents. :hushed: DOH! If you haven’t had any slime experiences, then share a story of a child/neice/nephew who having fun made a mess.

I want to add, KellyMoore was wearing a really cool t-shirt that said, “Dw i’n eisiau byw yn Cymraeg”. I want to live in Welsh. Here’s a link to website that sells them for anyone who is interested -> Cymraegwelsh.teemill.com

I post, usually on Tuesday’s the topic giving everyone a couple of days to think about it. Please join next week. Even if you only listen and hear what we do. We’re a super-friendly bunch who want to siarad Cymraeg with people. We speak about 70% English. Beginners have no problem following along. After each person speaks a sentence or two, he/she translates it into English, so we all learn new words and sentences. Login details are below
THIS IS A WEEKLY MEETING EACH THURSDAY AT 7PM EST . All are welcome to join .

Conference Information below: You can either call-in via the call-in number or video-conference.

Dial-in number (US): (605) 475-4896

Access code: 267527#

Online meeting ID: delawarejones

Join the online meeting: https://join.freeconferencecall.com/delawarejones

Diolch i chi i gyd, oedd yn hwyl gwych! Thank you all, it was great fun!
@AnnaC @Abbey @rdavidclark @KellyMoore@laurawydapszeniczny @sarah-17 @Bobi @violetsnow @matt-oliver

4 Likes

Sorry to drop out without saying good-bye. My connection went haywire, and I didn’t feel like troubleshooting for the last few minutes. Thanks for being such a gracious host.

1 Like

Paîd a becso, VioletSnow. I’m enjoyed hearing about the Catskills. Made me think of my Rocky Mountains.

Helo Pawb, and I’m sorry I missed again tonight. My significant other has his boys on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and there always seems to be something going on to prevent my attendance. I will try again wythnos nesa. Have a good week!

2 Likes

You were missed, AnnaC. See you next week.

@laurawydapszeniczny - Dim worries, Laura. You, too, were missed. We’ll see you next week.

2 Likes

@jennifer-thomas-mend @violetsnow @Allison @Abbey @laurawydapszeniczny @sarah-17 @Bobi @matt-oliver @KellyMoore @rdavidclark

Helo, Pawb!

It’s, once again, time for this week’s topic. With KellyMoore’s suggestion, this week’s topic is battling the upcoming slime armageddon. You get to tell a story how your child/nephew/niece open a jar of slime, the odd places you found it and how you removed it from clothes, walls, cabinets, hair…etc. If you’ve not experienced “slime armageddon,” tell a story how your child/nephew/niece brought chaos into the house. Wela i chi i gyd nos Iau (see all Thursday night).

1 Like

@johnowen @sasha-lathrop @matt-oliver @markevans @zrtemp

Helo, Pawb!

It’s, once again, time for this week’s topic. With KellyMoore’s suggestion, this week’s topic is battling the upcoming slime armageddon. You get to tell a story how your child/nephew/niece open a jar of slime, the odd places you found it and how you removed it from clothes, walls, cabinets, hair…etc. If you’ve not experienced “slime armageddon,” tell a story how your child/nephew/niece brought chaos into the house. Wela i chi i gyd nos Iau (see all Thursday night).

1 Like

I have a family commitment this Thursday and can’t participate, unfortunately. :frowning: I have no personal experience with slime, but would have loved to hear everyone’s stories! Have fun!

1 Like

Mae ddrwg gen i, Pawb. I must cancel tonight’s meeting as I have an unexpected family event to deal with that will take most of the evening. We’ll continue next week. I will miss tonight as it’s a lot of fun for me.

I apologize for getting this out so late, but this just happened.

1 Like