Eisteddfod 2017 aug 4 -12

It was fun getting out of the carpark at 7pm. I saw several people pushing one car stuck in the mud. They were running shuttle buses from Bodedern High School too, but queues of cars to get there then queues in the rain to board the bus. It is still raining at nearly 10 pm. I hope it stops soon. My bedding has stayed dry but some of my clothes are wet and things are getting rather damp everywhere. Whose great idea was it to go camping?

4 Likes

We are OK, thank you, @Sam84. We had a fun evening with an epic game of uno with an ever increasing puddle in the middle of our living area! Worms were coming up through the groundsheet to join in!! But we survived and the beds are pretty much dry, so now weā€™re snugly tucked up and hoping it will stop by the morning! (My husband says ā€˜hang on, whatā€™s that floating motion?ā€™)

1 Like

The extra complexity and uncertainty involved in waiting and queueing for a shuttle bus makes me wonder whether the slight time edge normally enjoyed by a car over the train will be overcome by the extra delay involved. I really want to visit the Maes tomorrow (from Greater Manchester) but now I am seriously thinking about using the train rather than the car.

Of course I still have to get from the railway station to the Maes. If I am lucky, I can find a train that stops at Valley and either bring my bike, or walk. Or get a local scheduled bus if I time it right.

We have a change of plans due to the rain. We will be visiting the Maes tomorrow as planned, but I wonā€™t be staying in my brotherā€™s awning with the children tomorrow night, so won;t be on the Maes on Tuesday. Iā€™m still planning on trying another day and night later in the week when itā€™s drier, but for now it will be a day visit only with wellies. We are planning to be in Maes D for a short time tomorrow at 12, before we go looking for lunch. So anyone around then who would like to say hi, come along!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Bob

I received this information in the Eisteddfod newsletter for July (which I have not been able to copy!):

At Holyhead train station, cross the Millennium Bridge to the bus stop for the No. 4 or X4 bus. This is the Holyhead to Bangor bus, calling in at Bodedern (4A on return). From here to the Maes is less than a 10 min walk. or Arriva have a free courtesy shuttle bus operating from 9am to midnight.

Hope this is of use to you and others.

Ar y bws .

4 Likes

Iā€™m up on the last Saturday (12th) if any other SSIWā€™ers are around!

To all lucky enough to be there or going - I am so glad to see the sun is shining on the Maes y bore 'ma! I hope the car park has dried out and that the alternative arrangements are well signposted and working! To @gruntius Thanks for the picture! and to all - more pics please! Hwyl!

Didnā€™t make it to the 12 o clock meet up sorry. It has taken so long to get in! They are having real țrouble with the shuttle bus service from the alternative car park. The latest queues were over an hour! We eventually parked in Bodedern village and are finally on the maes. Will probably try Maes D again later in the afternoon.

I am partly very envious of all of you who make it to this wonderful annual festival, but mostly I am very sorry to hear how the weather is blighting the experience for everyone. Letā€™s hope that it improves for the rest of the week. :rainbow:

5 Likes

Itā€™s nice here today, a little muddy tho!

1 Like

We took an hour and a half to get to the Maes due to the new parking arrangements, got there by twelve, had a chat with Dee, waved to Aran et al. in the pafiliwn before the seremoniā€™r goron, now sipping a glass of wine in the main restaurant before heading home. Weā€™ll be around tomorrow again!
BTW, the same parking arrangements as today are in place tomorrow, including disabled parking:
Bydd lle i ddeilyddion bathodyn glas yn Ysgol Uwchradd Bodedern, gyda darpariaeth i gludo pobl draw iā€™r Maes.

1 Like

Gutted I didnā€™t bump into you today @louis. :frowning2:

Me too! Kept an eye out for you through the day, figuring you would hard to miss :wink:
Will you be going later in the week at all?

Unfortunately not, one day is all Iā€™ve got time for this year. If my son wasnā€™t so against it I think I could spend the week there no problem.

1 Like

How about Wednesday? Sorry, my mobile was languishing in the car all day Monday :flushed:

1 Like

Wednesday is great - we are hoping to attend a few Dysgwr y Flyddwyn events

1 Like

Iā€™ll try to ping on Facebook, if the 4g is good enough, when we get thereā€¦ and see if we can triangulateā€¦:wink:

I didnā€™t get there on Sunday (no animal sitters) but I shall be there tomorrow! Hopefully get to meet up with some of you

1 Like

We are going to attempt to leave early and get there for a reasonable time. There is some 4G on the Maes, so we will post a message on here to say if we manage to schedule a time to pop in to Maes D! :slight_smile:

1 Like