Format of skype practice

Hvala lepa :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Toffi is a bitch, which I can say quite happily in English, but I was virtually forbidden on pain of death from saying in Welsh. Now @aran tells me it is no longer regarded as such a terrible word, particularly when it is totally clear that it refers to a female dog, not a human! Butā€¦ā€˜gastā€™ is still a word I find it hard to utter! However, when I automatically say ci and then say, ā€˜mae hiā€¦ā€™ I can see that is very confusing. The word is male, Toffi is female! But ā€˜cathā€™ is female and all the cats I have lived with were male!!
p.s. Toffi is easily spooked. I think she found lots of people talking to ā€˜Mamaā€™ on the laptop and me talking back a bit odd, but when these voices said ā€˜Helo Toffiā€™ to her, that really spooked her!

Oh, sorry. So we better just carry on when she appears somewhere with what weā€™ve just talked. Sorry, surely not my - or anybodyā€™s elses intention for that matter - to spook her. She will get used to crowd speaking in time I believe.

Donā€™t worry or change tactics. She has to learn and she still goes out back despite the number of monsters she insists are lurking in the garden or drws nesa! So she may stare nervously at the screen, but sheā€™ll not be seriously scared as long as Iā€™m there! Iā€™ll try to remember to bring her old draenog to the next Skype session! (If youā€™ll all still have me!).

Letā€™s pretend I didnā€™t see that, shall we?

Of course weā€™ll have you, why not?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Acos I donā€™t contribute much! But, I must tell you, my brave little Toffi is lying on the sofa growling mightily and fiercely at a lion on the TV!! Of course she doesnā€™t know its actual size!!!

1 Like

I donā€™t know who contributed most or least, iā€™m sure it changes weekly (some may choose to listen more) and it certainly does not matter so long as all participants are happy to take part.

I have been thinking of what to add next time and it occurred to me that @philipnewton is heading for Wales in a months time and may like a fair bit of practice.

Maybe everyone can think of a question to ask someone going to Wales. Think of a question and what your answer would be (because all would give a different answer) Write them here if you wish.

Would you like to go fishing (on a river, a lake, the sea , the beach, on a boat) if you had time.
No i would rather walk on the coast and hope to see a chough (fran goes coch).

Another option may be to go through the course two vocab lessons and perhaps use some material from there (does not matter if you have not reached that far yet, just listen and choose).

Another thing i though of is maybe on alternate weeks i could open the group on Sunday evening, this may suit some people better.
All suggestions welcome.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I can think of all manner of things but not sure theyā€™d work in a chat. iā€™m thinking maybe of some simple things he might get asked in hotels and cafes. Always useful to have a few things in mind.

Egā€¦
ti isio unrhyw beth arall?
ti isio/angen bag?
ti isio llefrith?
Lle wyt tiā€™n eistedd?
Ga i weld dy basbort ?
Ti angen help efo dy fag?
Wnes ti fwynhau dy arhosiad?

Some basic phrases too.

Dwiā€™n chwlio amā€¦
Liciwn i fwyta yma yn nes ymlaen. Ydw i angen bwcio bwrddā€¦

Also some phrases to use if people say things you donā€™t understand.

Fedri di ddeud o eto, bach yn arafach?
Sori, ond wnes i ddim deall beā€™ ddudes ti?
Maeā€™n ddrwg gen i, fedri di esbonio hynna eto yn y gymraeg.

Also a few linking phrases help to keep the conversation going
Eg
Dwiā€™n cytuno
Wel i fod yn onest dwi ddim yn siŵr am hynny. Wna i benderfynu yn nes ymlaen.
Yn wir? Fedri di ddweud mwy wrthaf i?

Or something like this. Excuse any mistakes and sorry if this all a bit basic. Hope you get the idea.

3 Likes

Yes, I had thought that such role-plays might be useful to me as well but I wasnā€™t sure where to get them from - who would be willing and able to play the part of the barkeeper / shopkeeper / customs agent / hotel receiptionist etc. Itā€™s not something that benefits the other person a lot, Iā€™d imagine.

Yes! Such things are indeed useful.

I also occasionally worry that the phrases I got taught in SSiW might get me into a bit of trouble with people who would prefer to be addressed as chi as I probably couldnā€™t get the verb ending right in a decent amount of time without practising a lot beforehandā€¦ so Iā€™ll just hope theyā€™ll forgive the learner for ti-ing them!

1 Like

Usually Chi behaves as chi so if youā€™ve gone through old courses (at least 1 and 2) you should be at the start. All the rest is practice I believe. Well I know itā€™s not all that simple but the more you worry, the sooner youā€™d get into trouble so you just go with the flow and try to make things right while at the point to Chi-ing someone. At least Iā€™ve done something like that and, remember, I was in Cymru for 14 days not approximately 2 (or possibly 3) days as you say youā€™d be.

Paid poeni ac ymlacio ā€¦ Joyo Gymru yn gyfan. (Enjoy Wales in whole.) (I hope Iā€™ve composed this together at least a bit right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well iā€™m happy to help as much as i can but be aware i may make mistakes!

it also looks likely iā€™ll be free so would be happy to show you around.

If you can think of some scenarios iā€™ll try and think of some possible questions. Though @aran would probably be far more useful here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do people actually ask for ty bach? I know most places have helpful signs, but not all! At my age it is a matter of some importance!
Re-role play, who knows what the future holds? I have waitressed in vacations, but also, on Gower, at WI or Church events! My ā€˜auntieā€™ took visitors because she was sorry for people with nowhere to stay, so who knows who will find themselves putting people up!

Hello

I havenā€™t used my Skype account since moving to Cardiff. But I logged on tonight, thinking there may be people about.
Whilst I was away, it appears that my Skype account was hacked and everyone got sent some spam from my account.
Hopefully all is resolved now and I can speak to you all soon.

1 Like

I realised @Pete2 suggested llefrith but in the south most people would look blank. Itā€™s llaeth!!

Just aswell heā€™s going to the north then :wink:

1 Like

Aha!

Sorry, Bach, Iā€™d forgotten that! You see Cymraeg isnā€™t the only thing I forget! Yet I still remember exactly how it felt to hang on to a girl next to me and stop her falling into the playersā€™ tunnel at the Arms Park in a crush in the ā€˜newā€™ North Stand terracing! It was Wales v France, I think and I had to ask a chap in front to shift forward with excitement when we scored, not back, in order to save the pair of us girls!

1 Like

We were on a camp site in Anglesey last year and asked for llefrith. No problem, we were served with milk and then noticed that the signwriting on the side of the van said llaeth. So I asked and was told that the word they normally used was llaeth. I suppose it just depends where you are.

1 Like

Southerners on Ynys Mon! Whoā€™d have thought it! Mind, if Iā€™d gone up there when younger to run a seller of such things, Iā€™d have put llefrith because I was there!

Llaeth is what we are taught in Southern course so Iā€™m sticking to it. Llefrith sounds kind of strange to me though but Iā€™d probably get used to it as I am getting used to more and more Northern words despite I rearly hear and use them.

1 Like