Have you spread the word about SSiW today? Diolch! (and sorry!)

Sian Harries (and maybe Elis James)

http://www.walesartsreview.org/in-conversation-with-sian-harries/

1 Like

I recently went to a two day Welsh school in Aberystwyth and mentioned SSIW to some of the other students. One lady was saying she had run out of lessons except it turned out she was somehow getting the lessons from somewhere else, whilst receiving forum emails from SSIW. Sheā€™s now hopefully starting level one.

3 Likes

Da iawn, sir. Excellent interview. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Diolch Geraint! You were the inspiration behind taking the plunge!

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Wow, how strange - thank you for setting her straight! :star: :star2:

To a TÅ· Tawe regular at a Welsh comedy night who I know thrugh that and YesCymru - discussing familiy background and he expressed surprise I spoke Welsh coming from Milford Haven 'dan y Landsker"

So of course we had the whole:

ā€œWell I learned as an adultā€
ā€œOh you donā€™t sound like you didā€ (Which is always nice because to my mind I do!)
ā€œSSIW SSIW SSIWā€ :wink:

Heā€™s doing some voluntary Welsh classes for people so Iā€™ve heartily recommended it obviously!

3 Likes

Always lovely - and well-deserved! :star2: Diolch o galon :dizzy:

1 Like

So, Vaughan (@vgh50), Jen (@atomic_newt) and I were having a chat in Welsh in a cafe called ā€œJackieā€™s Art Cafeā€ in Haines City, Florida when this lady interrupted us to ask if we were from Wales. It turns out her sister lives in Lampeter and she, herself, almost bought a house in Wrexham. Jen spoke to her more than I did but Iā€™m pretty sure she found herself on the receiving end of a right old SSiWing.

Now thatā€™s random.

5 Likes

ā€œa right old SSiWingā€

Now thereā€™s a noun I hadnā€™t thought of verbing!
:musical_score: I want you-oo-oo :musical_note: to SSiW me the way :musical_note:

4 Likes

:smile:

Lovely to think of a mini-Bootcamp happening in Floridaā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, it happened. Itā€™s going to happen again Monday night. :blush:

2 Likes

Cofia fi atyn nhw! :slight_smile: And say thanks to Jen for giving that other person ā€˜a right old SSiWingā€™ā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

Mi wna i. :blush:

ETA: Just to elaborate a bit, weā€™re going to watch a baseball game on Monday night. It would be fantastic (and a huge surprise) to see any other Welsh learners/speakers there for the second Florida SSiW meeting. :blush:

1 Like

It would have been fun to see the response if this had gone in last weekā€™s emailā€¦:wink:

1 Like

Bumped into someone who lives in Casnewydd and works in Caerdydd at an Esperanto congress in Edinburgh over the weekend ā€¦ as you do. Sheā€™s a fairly new speaker of Esperanto but hasnā€™t had any success at trying to learn Welsh before. ā€œHeard of SSiW? It worked for me.ā€ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please tell us that you gave SSiW this ā€œplugā€ in Esperanto. :smile:

1 Like

Well of course! It was the language of the congress. I only spoke Esperanto the whole weekend :slight_smile: even though there were actually 2 other Welsh speakers there - one from Conwy and one from Y Drenewydd.

2 Likes

Iā€™m back from a sort of ā€œintroduction to Welshā€ -thingy that happened here in Helsinki (which I shouldnā€™t have gone to since I have an essay due at midnight. An essay I havenā€™t properly startedā€¦).

The introduction wasnā€™t exactly for people who can speak Welsh, or even for people who had heard of Welsh before. I expected that but I went anyway since I assumed the teacher would speak Welsh, and of course that translates to a chance to speak Welsh.

So, I got to speak some Cymraeg with the teacher (who was very impressed, thanks SSiW!), and also managed to suggest SSiW to a few people before everyone ran away :smile:

Maybe weā€™ll see a few more Finnish SSiWers here in the future :blush:

11 Likes