'henddraig's S4C Petition Update!

@Deborah-SSi, 1308 - I have copied this comment in full:-

I have been working outside the U.K. For many years in Europe, USA and Asia. S4C is important for me not because it links me with family and friends in South Wales, but because it demonstrates the UK in a positive and unexpected light. I use S4C to show my friends and colleagues that the UK supports traditional values as well as more modern concerns. The fact that the U.K. Government supports S4C demonstrates British Values of tolerance and FairPlay. This actually surprises many people as the image many now have of the U.K. Is not always positive.
This is valuable and not easy to measure, so please try to see the value of S4C and not just the cost. It valuable for everyone in Britain

It is from a Welshman in France.

3 Likes

Very interesting comment and perspective!

Wel, @Deborah-SSi, only one more, 1309, in Bristol, who comments, in Welsh, that it is very important to him, living in Bristol to have S4C television!

@Deborah-SSi Couldnā€™t resist telling you : 1310 - London andā€¦
1311 - Frostproof U.S.A. !!! I actually looked this up and Google says it is real and is in Florida. Well, I wouldnā€™t have expected frost in Florida, so maybe settlers were looking to escape the cold and travelled as far south as they felt they needed to be safe and named their town accordingly!
If the person from Frostproof is on the Forum, please tell us what you know of the origin of the name!! @Sionned - any ideas?

Hereā€™s this from Wikipedia:

[quote]The settlement in the area now known as Frostproof was established in 1850. This settlement, like many in central Florida at the time, was set up as a fort and was called Fort Clinch. This settlement was abandoned only months later. By the 1880s, Frostproof began to see its first permanent settlers as homesteaders were attracted to the abundant hunting in the area which included much deer and turkey, as well as ample fishing.

The name was a marketing ploy to convince potential landowners that the town has never had, and never would have, a frost that could destroy the large citrus-driven economy. However, only a couple of years later, a frost killed most of the citrus in Frostproof. Prior to being named Frostproof, the town was named Keystone City. However, after being confused regularly with Keystone Heights, a city in North Florida, Frostproof was coined.[/quote]

2 Likes

Oh diolch yn fawr! Marvellous insight on frontier life, not jumping to conclusions based on latitude and too short a time surveyā€¦ but ā€œNearly Frostproofā€ doesnā€™t quite have the same advertising power! :smile:

@ChrisMooreddrall This thread relates to a petition to continue proper funding for the only Welsh TV channel in the World, S4C (Sianel Pedwar Cymru). The current UK Government nibbles at its fundingā€¦ now, BBC are told they must give some of their money to S4C and they are getting starved of funds as well Here is a link to the petiton:-
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/non-residents-of-wales-ask-for-s4c-funding-to-be-maintained.html.
You should be able to access S4C International on line and there is quite a lot on the Forum about availabilty. If you value TV in Welsh, do please sign! It is to remind the Government that our old language is valued all over the world!

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi 1312 - 1313
Rawtenstall , Lancashire
Georgia, USA saying :-A grateful student of this beautiful language and culture.

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi and 1314,
a lady from another place with a lovely name,
Clearview, South Australia who comments:-
Differences matter now more than ever before. A visual/audio medium like TV is immensely important in helping the people that invest time in supporting diversity, broadening their thinking capacity and seeking to understand others better by learning a unique language that is both ancient and current.
I love ā€œancient and currentā€!! Totally true and brilliantly expressed!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi `1315
from the Marches, actually Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire.

Signed

Diolch yn fawr, @ChrisMooreddrall !
@Deborah-SSi Chris, from Tacoma, Washington, USA is number 1316

@Deborah-SSi 1317
A lady from Poznań in Poland. There is one flag on the SSiW map there, but the person seems no longer to be on the Forum!

I just signed this petition.

Iā€™ve just started learning Welsh along with my 13 year old son and I think S4C could be a very valuable resource for us both.

We are English and live in England, but are planning to move to Carmarthenshire in the next year or two and weā€™d really like to be able to speak some Welsh by the time we move!

3 Likes

Firstly - Thank you - Diolch yn fawr for signing! Look @Deborah-SSi, number 1318 right here, right now! From Brackley, England! Maybe @Sionned could put a temporary flag on the SSiW map and move it when @AllyB gets to Wales?
Secondly - Welcome - Croeso to the Forum and THANK YOU for wanting to learn our ancient and lovely language in advance! When I was lying in bed at some horrible hour listening to the radio and then crying all over my little dog because the voters of Carmarthen had pushed the majority in favour of the Welsh Assembly into the ā€˜Yesā€™ column, a lot of folk there spoke Cymraeg.
I am sorry that this seems less true now. But I am sure when your new neighbours find out that you siarad Cymraeg, they will be happy to reply!
@Iestyn see. you are teaching this lovely lady and her son!!

Youā€™re very welcome. Iā€™m not up to writing much in welsh yet (yn Gymraeg eto -is that right?) I hope that will change before long!

I find Welsh a beautiful language to listen to and am really looking forward to be able to speak it more and better.

In the meantime, Iā€™ve just put on an S4C programme with Iolo Williams on iPlayer and Iā€™ve recognised 3 words so far!! :smiley:

5 Likes

@Deborah-SSi 1319
a learner from Great Wyrley ,West Midlands who values S4C! She may be on here too!

1 Like

1320 - 1321
@Deborah-SSi
Cheadle, Cheshire - long term viewer of S4C, now learning Welsh!
and
Alhambra, California, USA who says:-
The English know about traditionā€¦ letā€™s respect the tradition of this ancient language and people who first made Britain what it is. Besides, they love rugby. What could be wrong with that?

(I am very taken with finding an American who loves Rugby!)

1 Like

We seem to have a little rush just now, @Deborah-SSi!
1322-1324
Northampton, Northants
Crystal,Minnesota,USA
St. Paul,Minnesota,USA with comment - Hearing the Welsh language, is important to me as a second language learner, as is being able to glimpse Welsh culture via programming in both English and Welsh.

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi, I know itā€™s in the USA now, but it still seems very exotic to me that 1325 comes from
Lāā€™ie , Hawaii, USA and notes, ā€˜please continue fundingā€™!