'henddraig's S4C Petition Update!

To @Deborah-SSi 1536-1538
Canada - "Maintain funding and improve access to S4C"
Kent - "This a vital service for Welsh Language and Wales. It needs to be there for everyone."
Oxford

Another one @Deborah-SSi
Skipton, NORTH YORKSHIRE saying "Too good to lose"
a comment with which I am sure we all agree!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi 1540
is from Ottawa,Ontario, Canada

@Deborah-SSi Diolch for mention in n/l! 4 more have signed! This definitely implies that n/l mentions bring new folk to sign. I’ll see if any more sign this week and would ask you for another mention next week to see what transpires. New ones are:-
1541-1544
London
Waterlooville, Hampshire,
Bath,
Perton, South Staffs.
All UK and no comments!
Thank you Dee for all your help. I wish I knew what proportion of SSiWers outside Wales 1544 represents! It eems a bit low to me.

Oh @Deborah-SSi the n/l certainly works! Never wonder about that! We shot up!
1545-1555
Milton Keynes, Bucks says Welsh is the language of grandparents on both sides of my family. Thanks to S4C I am able to keep the language alive. I am very proud of my Welsh roots and that I can speak such a beautiful language. I am appalled at the government’s actions and attitude to a language that is spoken not just in Wales but by many all the world. This is a piece of our history.
Chesterfield, Derbyshire would miss S4C if unable to tune in.
Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland
Bristol, South Glos. (Grandchildren speak Welsh, mention the programmes they follow, so would like to be able to discuss them.)
London x 3
Cheshunt, Herts
Ontario Canada
Groton, MA, USA enjoys the programmes for the cultural exposure
Norwich, Norfolk S4C very important for Welsh speakers not living in Wales

And @Deborah-SSi since lunch/dinner!
1556-1557
Both from London!
NB all mentions are of London, England, not the one in Ontario!! But I’d love to have one to mention from there!

@Deborah-SSi When I lived there, Harrow was in Middlesex, but
1558 tells me it is now in London, England!

Well, I did say ‘last chance’ so that may have had an effect :slight_smile:

I think it needs either a newsletter mention every now and then or a message fixed to top of Forum Welsh, because new people join us all the time and they don’t know about threats to S4C’s budget or the invisibility of those not in Wales to collected audience numbers based on outdated pre-internet surveys!

1 Like

I was under the impression that you were closing it and submitting it soon. That’s why it got its final mention in the weekly email last week:

Well i was but sudden rush of signings ca usd me to think again. It has stopped again so maybe I will give up!

@Deborah-SSi another
London, no comment!
I will definitely wait for 1600! :smile:

So, Westminster Government dropping grant to S4C. License Fee to be divided up and S4C will have to beg for enough to exist. @siaronjames I hope this is not the beginning of the end for your job and a lot of others. I will submit the petition after I have time to edit the text to include mention of this development! I am truly sorry. Would it help if the Senedd gained the remit for Broadcasting? Is a petitonfor that worth running? Not from Scotland, I think. Anyone who wants to take that one on, all I can do is sign it!

1 Like

Well this is today’s press release from S4C following the DDCMS review, and it sounds fairly positive (but I guess it would do so as not to raise concerns!) http://www.s4c.cymru/e_press_level2.shtml?id=3985 (I’ve posted the link to the English version)

There are various (complicated) pros and cons to the argument for giving the S4C remit to the Senedd, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Diolch yn fawr. I can see that I am in the worst possible place to influence proportion of moneys going to S4C. I have found that about 1% of Scots speak Gaelic, around 57,000 people. BBC Alba gets, according to Wikipedia, 637000 adult viewers a week, broadcasting 7 hrs a day… I have nno idea how this is managed as S4C, broadcasting 17.5 hours in UK has 605,000 a week (360,000 in Wales) total reached 8.4 million up from 6.5 million. Is there any push toward bringing control of Broadcasting from Westminster to Cardiff Bay? Anyone wanting to help could try writing to their AM or/and MP!

1 Like

I have been thinking , an unusual experience for me, many might say, and wonder… if BBC is to, in effect, fund S4C, maybe it should call a spade a shovel and rename it BBCSianelCymru, BBCSC! It seems BBCAlba hasa good reputation. Named BBC that broadcaster would be obliged to do its very best for Welsh Speakers and Learners of all ages, to maintain its own reputation!

PETITION NOW CLOSED. Government is handing funding to BBC Licence Fee.

There are a lot of people throughout Wales who have expressed support on various forums for devolving Welsh broadcasting to the Senedd. However, having arranged for the hijacking of a shed-load of devolved powers post-Brexit (with the complicity of the Welsh Government), the Westminster Government is unlikely to risk giving us control over our own broadcast media.