Hi just starting should I start with new course level 1?

Hi all I’ve just started and it has taken me a week to get through lesson 1. I’ve noticed that there is a new course called level 1 (Southern), should I start with the new course as I’m a beginner or go through the old courses first. Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Sheila, and welcome to the forum!..:slight_smile:

You’re joining us at an interesting time - we certainly expect that the new course will replace the old course, but it’s early days yet, which is why the old course is still available.

We know the old course works - but the new course has been designed to work better and faster. Maybe the best approach would be for you to try the new course and see how you feel about it - and if you decide you’d like to come back to the old course, that would be fine too…:slight_smile:

Thanks for getting back to me Aran, I’m only finishing lesson two so will try the new course now then. Are we supposed to do the vocabulary lessons along side or after the main lessons?
Sheila x

Shwmae Sheila. Croeso (welcome) i’r fforwm! The vocabulary lessons are to be done after you have finished all 25 of the lessons in Course 1, so you don’t need to worry about them yet! Good luck. :slight_smile:

Helo Sheila, I’m also fairly new here. Started about a month ago. I was at lesson 8 when the new course came online and I started to do them along with the old lessons. I have the feeling the new course is a lot more difficult, but also more useful. Just a bit more work, but that’s never hurt anyone, has it? :slight_smile:
Good luck to you!

Thanks Jon and Bie Van x

I have the feeling the new course is a lot more difficult

Actually, the only way in which the new course isn’t quite a lot easier is that the sentences in the first couple of lessons aren’t as short as in the old course - otherwise, the old course very quickly starts throwing unnecessarily tricky stuff at you, and by the time you get to Lessons 6.1 and 6.2 you’ll be very glad to fall back into the comfortable arms of the new course…:wink:

Yes, I think it was the longer sentences that gave me such a hard time, because I tend to forget what has been said in English (maybe, because English isn’t my mother tongue…I don’t know). But I’ve repeated challenge 3 a second time at a slower pace and it went a lot better, so I’m not complaining :slight_smile:

That sounds as though you’ve got it cracked, Bie!..:slight_smile:

It might also be worth mentioning at this point that it’s usually a good idea not to do too many run-throughs of any particular lesson - the interval system means that you will end up getting the hang even of bits that haven’t sunk in at all initially, in the course of the next few sessions - the only time you really need to go back a few sessions is if you have a session that just completely floors you…:wink:

I should subscribe and download the old course 2 and 3 before they disappear.

It might be worth doing the old course for now, then going to the beginning of the new course once you’re done - you’ll learn new stuff, I promise, and there’ll hopefully be more lessons available for you by then.

Hi Bie,

No, its not because English is not your mother tongue that you forget the English. English is my first language and I’m always forgetting the second half of the sentence !

If I forget the ending, I just make up my own ! If you go through the unit a few times you find yourself making up less and less each time !

Cheers
Geth