SSi Forum

'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to speak the language of my country and my heart :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

Great that you’re off to such an excellent start :star2:

The best reason of all :slight_smile:

I want to be a Welsh speaker again to surprise my childhood friends when we meet again this summer!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to speak with people in Wales in their own language.

Because my husband is Welsh speaking and my daughter is learning too

Dw i isio bod yn siaradwr Cymraeg achos dwi’n mynd i symud i Gymru and I really want to be part of the community.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because the country feels like home, I love it’s language and I want it to thrive :blush: (hopefully that’s not too cheeky, it is one sentence :grin:)

I hope that learning Welsh will help improve my memory/improve cognitive ability in general. (which hopefully leads to me finding it a bit easier to learn other languages in future because I want to learn so many of them :sweat_smile:)

All good reasons in here!

And I deeply sympathise with the ‘want to learn lots of others as well’ line of thinking :partying_face:

Dw i eisiau dysgu Cymraeg achos dw i eisiau dallt mwy am y linc rhwng pobl Cymraeg ac yr amgylchedd o Gymru

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love the language and country, and would like to attend the Eisteddfod next year!

(Mae’n ddrwg gen i, mae’n hwyr)
I do voluntary work on a North Wales Wildlife Trust reserve and, of course, many of the very friendly team are Welsh. I would love to be able to talk in Welsh with them and know they’d be pleased. Also, away from my now home town (sadly, little Welsh spoken there), I want to use the language more, it’s right to do so.

They’ll definitely be delighted as your confidence grows - thank you for being willing to make the effort :heart:

I want to become a Welsh speaker because it would show that I am succeeding in my primary aim - to keep my brain active in old age.

Superb reason! Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

My best friend of 50 plus years has been speaking to me in English all that time and now he is ill I want to speak to him in his own mother tongue before it is too late. The one change is that I will be proud to have achieved something by making him happy.

That is a very special reason @steve-icke :heart:

I want to be a welsh speaker because I want to be able to speak with folks in their own language when I go to Wales on holiday.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is my husband’s first language and I would love to be able to speak Welsh with him, and to speak Welsh with his family when we visit.

Something I hope it will change is that our children will be encouraged to learn more of the language and help it to continue down the generations.

Powerful stuff. Good luck, Steve. We’d love to hear about your first conversation :heart: