'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Croseo i’r ffwrm, Evans-Louiseh (Welcome to the forum). I don’t know your current level of Welsh nor your plan to learn Welsh. A lot of people think that being a Welsh speaker means you are fluent. That is not true. There is a large continuum to being a Welsh speaker. How much can an 18 month old child say? A few sentences and and many words. Is that child NOT a Welsh speaker? Absolutely not. Just a beginner Welsh speaker on his/her way to becoming a fluent Welsh speaker.

If you can speak 4 or more sentences in Welsh, you are a Welsh speaker.

8 Likes

Many, many reasons but in the short term…

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am getting married in a few months time and I would like to be confident enough to say a few words in Welsh during my speech :blush:

9 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau/congratulations to you both and welcome to your new class. Take a seat wherever you feel comfortable and please, fasten your safety-harness and remove all tongue-piercings for risk of injury to self and bystanders :crazy_face:
A few months is more than enough time!

7 Likes

Achos dwi’n mwynhau dysgu non-English languages :smiley:

5 Likes

Dw i’n moyn it siarad cymraeg achos, do’n i ddim yn dysgu cymraeg yn ysgol ond galla fi nawr.

5 Likes

love this one!

1 Like

I want to be a welsh speaker so that i can talk to friends in their native language. I am also a proud welshman but always feel a twinge of shame that i dont speak the tongue

5 Likes

I want to be able to read a newspaper in Welsh and listen to Radio Cymru. I live in Wales and am also a proud Welsh woman. Now is the time!

10 Likes

Thank you so much for the encouragement! :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh YES! That’d be a wonderful feeling!

Unfortunately I live 1 mile from the Welsh border and so fill out the England form which obviously doesn’t ask :confused: (1 mile guys!! So close… :weary:)

7 Likes

Diolch.

1 Like

I want to be a welsh speaker because my mother and my children are able to speak this beautiful language and it’s about time I cracked it!

10 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because firdtly, I am Welsh and ptoud, secondly I was denied the chance of learning in school when I was younger. Last but not least my husband and all his family are Welsh speakers and I feel very left out and deprived !

9 Likes

Dw i’n moyn bod siaradwr Cymraeg acos dw i’n byw yng Gymru ac mae hi’n fy nghatre i.

8 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Diane… :slight_smile: :star2:

Apart from the ‘Be’ dach chi’n gwneud rwan?’ thread (Be' 'dach chi'n gwneud rwan? A phethau arall yn Gymraeg - A topic to practice Welsh, open to all!) we keep things in English on the forum so that all our learners, and potential learners, feel part of everything…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. It would have been easier in English but for some reason I thought it had to be in Welsh x

2 Likes

Ha ha we’ve all been there. I usually realise just in time, then delete it all and start again :angry:.

Also at our real life Welsh speaking meeting, I thought this seems really natural, and then realised that I was speaking English :grinning:

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my cousin comes over from Minnesota once a year and can speak fluent Welsh (despite never having lived in the UK). I would love to surprise him by having a decent conversation with him yn y Gymraeg!

10 Likes

Ok so…I WANT TO BE A WELSH SPEAKER to keep up with my two children who are in Welsh medium education, increase my job prospects, and BECAUSE it’s my heritage, and I feel as though something has been missing all my life, not having had much opportunity or encouragement. I suppose the main reason is BECAUSE I ENJOY IT :purple_heart:
THANK YOU SSIW for the ongoing support

10 Likes

And my aim at the beginning was to have a conversation (sgwrs) with the pennaeth (head) at the school & not feel totally out of my depth…which I (kind of!) did this week & he told me my dysgu yn mynd yn dda iawn! :+1:

8 Likes