SSi Forum

'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because 3 of my grandchildren have moved to Wales and now learn Welsh at school and my youngest grandaughter will soon attend a Welsh medium nursery and is being brought up bi-lingual. I want to be able to speak some Welsh to her and my daughter in law.

I have always wanted to be a welsh speaker. I just thought that I couldn’t do it and fell into the trap of believing other languages would be more useful. Duo Lingo reignighted my passion again and SSIW has really made me believe I can do this.

My friend of 33 years is learning too and the thought of us speaking welsh properly together makes me smile. I hope we both make it.

As John said, just get the time under your belt - ideally in one-on-one conversations, where there’s nowhere to hide. Notch up an hour of one-on-one every week, and it won’t be long before you’re flying… :slight_smile:

because…I was born in Wales and then moved away, so despite actually having an A level in Welsh, I never really felt confident enough to use it in day to day conversations. I am moving back to Wales this summer for early retirement and really want to be able to use it purposefully and enjoy using this beautiful language.

I’m immensely proud of being Welsh and can’t shut up about how wonderful Wales is. Now that I live in England it’s wonderful to have another connection to home by learning something I’ve always wanted to learn.
In the future I hope to be able to watch S4C without the subtitles and actually understand the lyrics of the wonderful Welsh music I listen to.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is important to me and I hope it will help me find a better job and stronger connections to my community.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because ever since I was a little girl I have loved the sound of the language - all those holidays in Wales. Now I’ve been living in Wales for many years, I thought it was about time I gave learning Welsh a proper go!!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is part of my Welsh heritage and in the future I want to be able to converse with my children in Welsh

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have been to Wales all my life and I would like to be able to speak to people there in their own language, and be part of keeping the language alive

I would love to speak to my husband, his relations and my Welsh speaking customers in Welsh.

I want to speak Welsh to improve job prospects and understand Calan when I next see them at a gig.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s such a beautiful language and I missed the opportunity to learn it when I was young!
I would like to be able to speak Welsh whenever I meet Welsh speakers in Cemaes, a lovely village in Anglesey with a fantastic community. :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I am moving to Wales in the near future and I want to participate fully in community life. Have you ever got on a train on a Saturday evening in Porthmadog? It’s at those times that you really wish you could speak Welsh to understand the fun times that are going on all around.