'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can converse in Welsh with my father-in-law who is a native speaker. We are already enjoying my efforts!
The trigger to starting to learn was, on one of our recent regular visits to Anglesey, hearing young people speaking Welsh to each other and realising the language was thriving. I hope someone one day is inspired by hearing me speak it!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to have a deeper connection to the country I was born in.

5 Likes

I want to speak Welsh so I can have conversations with my wife in her mother tongue. She is teaching our two young children the language and I hope my learning will help with that process.

5 Likes

If I can consider myself Welsh, then I’m jolly sure you can @BronwenLewis :smile:

5 Likes

I live in Rochdale, in the North West of England, and I visited North Wales many many times in my youth and since. I love the country, and the people, and I always regret not learning the language. I felt it was insulting to folks not to even try to converse in your language. I am 70, and I know I will struggle, but I shall persevere. I also wish to visit as many of the narrow gauge railways as possible, and again, I would like to speak with the staff in a respectful manner.

5 Likes

…but you will be :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

…because I want more generations to be able to say “Yma o hyd”!!

2 Likes

I have recently restarted the Welsh learning journey! I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to perform bi-lingually and promote the Welsh language in theatre and my hope is that my mentors will one day be in a position to put me forward for welsh speaking roles!!

4 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

I had all of my childhood holidays in North Wales (Conwy mainly) and return now with my children.

3 Likes

Similar for me…two months (up to Ch 15) into the course. Never had any Welsh at school, 15 yrs away…and never really got past “hello” in any other language. 56 now and just wanted to really give it a go before its too late! Just to get basic conversational and understanding would be fantastic! R Mark

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I believe in its cause (and it’s beautiful to my ears).

4 Likes

I was learning Welsh at junior school but when we moved my new school didn’t teach Welsh and ever since I have wanted to speak Welsh…that was almost sixty years ago and I think it’s about time i did

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because its a beautiful language and have friends in Wales. Maybe one day I will visit them! :grin:

3 Likes

I read a book written in English about Llewelyn, (my step father’s 1st name) with Welsh words and phrases mixed in, and I wanted to be able pronounce those words.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to speak Welsh with my partner.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have Welsh friends and I don’t think it’s fair that they always have to speak English with me, and it’s a beautiful language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my fiance is from south Wales and I’m from America and one day we will be raising our children in mid-Wales. I also work for a bi-lingual institution and want to contribute to my job mores o and for advancement opportunities.

3 Likes

I wish I could have learnt more Welsh at school too. Good Luck!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I get together with a group of other Americans who have Welsh heritage for a week each summer, and some of them are quite fluent speakers, as are, of course, our Welsh tutors. We’re all a quirky crew, but I enjoy them a lot, and I know I would enjoy it even more if I could understand and speak more. And I’ve spent one week each summer studying the language, but making little to no progress, so I’m really hoping this may help me get over the “hump” I’ve been struggling with all these years. AND at age 73, I think this challenge will be really good for my brain.

1 Like