'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

…because I want to speak the language of my grandparents.
I don’t know if it would change anything in my life, but it would cross off one item on my bucket list!

2 Likes

I want to go in a pub or a shop when holidaying in Wales - and speak Welsh to the locals.

4 Likes

Prynhawn da! I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m fiercely proud of my Welsh roots & want to keep the beautiful (if difficult!) language alive :slight_smile:

I just finished an OU course on the basics & someone suggested this method to me; I’ve just done day 3 of the “one sentence” course.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m Welsh and I want the language to survive and grow, so that Wales’ influence in the world will increase.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have friends who are Welsh speakers and I can converse with them in Welsh :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can converse with people when I go there for holidays and confuse them when I speak in my asian/american accent. In all seriousness, I eventually want to move to Wales and knowing the language is a good way to get to know people. It will allow me to also teach my godchild.

6 Likes

I have a cottage in a welsh speaking community and think it is rude to expect the locals to talk to me in English and me not learn to talk to them in Welsh

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think the language itself is very interesting, and because it’s important to me to keep learning new things throughout my lifetime.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’ve lived here for almost 20 years, Wales is my home and it’s about time I learned the language.

9 Likes

I originally wanted to be a Welsh speaker because I wanted to help my little grandchildren with their projects at their Welsh medium school. Already after only 4 months I can say enough for our roles to keep reversing. They love to teach me and I don’t mind at all if I speak like a 7 year old!

10 Likes

…it is a beautiful language and, as a Spanish and English speaker, I find that learning languages helps to improve my thought processes and structures, I hope my Welsh relations will be impressed - my granddaughter now already wants to learn Welsh herself!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to learn my native language and for it to continue. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to do so!

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because i enjoy learning speaking cymraeg with people in wales

4 Likes

I achieved ‘ O ‘ level pass in Welsh in Grammar school and my intent was to on to become a teacher of Welsh myself. This never happened and I ended up working for 50 years in management in the Construction industry.
I am now retired and 73 years young and have committed myself to learn the language of my beloved Wales.

7 Likes

I don’t think I can and I want to prove myself wrong I would also like to be able to understand some of the Welsh series Hidden

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to talk to my neighbours and those I interact with at work in the local language. More so I want to understand what they are saying about me!

5 Likes

As my grandchildren are attending welsh school and I want to speak to them in welsh.

4 Likes

I want to speak Welsh and understand what people say at the football! That’s the simple reason, but I’m born,bred and lived and worked in North Wales all my life, I’m extremely proud of that fact but not proud I’ve never grasped my native tongue ! If I can play a small part in keeping the Welsh language alive, well proud won’t come close to how I feel.

7 Likes

Dw i moyn siarad Cymraeg achos dw i’n caru yr Iaith a siaradodd fy mam yr iaith.

4 Likes

I have relations in North Wales who are Welsh speakers and I would love to speak to them in this beautiful language when I next visit.

4 Likes