Liverpool SSiW at Bethel

Mike and friends

Great idea! I think the conversation group was a little lost in the chapel to be honest - and it will be of benefit to us (conversation group) to meet in a smaller room I think. Hopefully, as time goes on, the two groups may well become interchangeable.

Early days yet - keep at it everybody, we are all at various stages of learning the language. Some of us are struggling - I am ashamed about how much I have forgotten - but it will come back for all of us

So do not give up!

See you all next Monday.

Hwyl Fawr

Steve

1 Like

hi Bethel friends. still ploughing on with lesson 2 though it helps to split it into 2 parts

1 Like

Hi @Liz,
You might be interested to hear that Peter has made some prompts for use with lessons 1 and 2, which I think will have been inspired by the transcript that you asked me to email to everyone. I haven’t seen them yet (because of a technical problem) but no doubt Peter will have copies with him at Bethel tomorrow.

1 Like

Lynn E

I would like to say how much I’m enjoying the meetings at Bethel in Liverpool. We are getting our act together working through the lessons. We decided this was the best way to proceed. I think it makes sense even if people join later we can go over the lessons which will benefit everyone. I personally find it extremely helpful as I was learning with SSIW on my own last year and gave up. I just felt isolated on my own but now the Bethel group are a real support network. Thanks

4 Likes

@LynnEleen, it’s great to see our new group starting to work as a proper support network. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

1 Like

Please be aware that there won’t be a meeting at Bethel on Easter Monday, 28th March. We will meet as usual on 14th and 21st March, then resume after the Easter break on Monday 4th April.

1 Like

Update: I’ve just had an email from Ben Rees to say that Bethel will be open on every Monday evening in April, then closed on 2nd May because of the Bank Holiday. Opening dates for the rest of May and June should be known shortly.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Mike.

Just trying the system out. Have had a couple of extraordinarily long email messages from one Aran who, I initially thought, must be a very unusual spammer …

Angela

1 Like

Angela,

If you have a look nearer the top of this thread you’ll see that Aran has been actively supporting our group at Bethel by arranging for it to be publicised in the regular SSiW emails!

Mike F.

2 Likes

Hi folks. Apologies for being absent these past weeks. I hope to be back at Bethel on Monday 4th of April. See you then
Frank

Hi @FrankL!

We look forward to seeing you again on 4th. Dal ati!

Mike F.

1 Like

Pasg hapus i bawb!

1 Like

I saw this thread and clicked on it because I was puzzled. I have spent many happy days in and around Bethel. But I realised soon enough that you meant Capel Bethel, not Bethel, Gwynedd!

@henddraig Yes, we’re at Capel Bethel, near Penny Lane in Liverpool. You’re welcome to visit us if you ever happen to be in The 'Pool on a Monday evening (except on the bank holiday tomorrow, when we’re not having a meeting).

@AngelaL Pasg Hapus i chi hefyd! Dw i’n hoffi’r wyau!

That would be heralded by the appearance of herds of pigs towing me in a carriage of thistledown!! (It is all I can do to stagger down to my friend’s car and travel 3 miles to,the town!) :smiley: :pig:

@henddraig I’m very sorry to hear that. For the next seven days, however, the iPlayer will at least let you see what Capel Bethel looks like without you needing to visit us in person. The S4C programme Mamwlad featured Ffion Hague interviewing Dr Rees, the minister, about Betsi Cadwaladr in the same corner of the chapel as is used by our beginners’ group every Monday. The relevant section starts at 8 minutes and 20 seconds into the programme.

Best wishes from Liverpool, even if we won’t be able to meet you!

1 Like

Hi, I live in Gayton on the Wirral and would be keen to come along and learn with the Liverpool group. I’m originally from Cardiff so have been doing the southern course, did courses 1 and 2 then switched to level 2 after reading the forum and am on challenge 4 at the moment. I did O level Welsh in 1984 so again it is a bit rusty and feel I would benefit from speaking to others rather than just practising on my own. Please let me know where and when you meet. Thanks, Mike.

2 Likes

@mikewake We meet at Bethel, the Liverpool Welsh Centre and Chapel in Auckland Road, L18 0HX. It’s near Penny Lane. Doors open at 7:15 for a prompt start at 7:30 every Monday evening. You are very welcome to join us! See you on Monday?

1 Like

I did see this!
I was very surprised. I expected a very tall Victorian chapel with a gallery inside and a huge organ requiring a huge organ loft. Instead Chapel Bethel seems quite low and small! Mind, Bethel, Gwynedd is quite a small, unassuming place, so maybe it fits!!

@henddraig The very large and leaky part of the building (which did have a gallery and a large pipe organ) was demolished when the premises were modernised a few years ago. It only dated back to the late 1920s, not Victorian times. It is commemorated now in a stained glass window.