Monday Monthly meetings at the Mochyn Du

Hi folks,

Sorry for gatecrashing your thread…
I was wondering if anyone was planning on going to the “Cwrs Calan” in Cardiff at the weekend? A few of us went last year and I thought it was rather good.

Actually I was too disorganised to book a place but I’m considering being cheeky and just turning up and asking nicely if I can join late. At worst it would be a bit of arguing practice before being sent packing!

It was good last year, wasn’t it? I can’t go this year. But I bet they haven’t filled their Uwch course yet, so I’m sure they’d be really happy to have you if you ring up today.

Well I got an answer today to my email from before Xmas, saying I can go along legit! Should be fun!

It would be lovely to hear from anyone else who happens to read this and be going…

(I somewhat suspect you may be above such things by now anyway, Sara! :smile: )

Six of us “usuals” met at the Mochyn Du to welcome Karla tonight. We decided not to meet next Monday, the first Monday of the month, but postpone it to the following week, 11th. Karla is moving on to Swansea on Monday, so I hope she can meet up with some of you there. For someone who only started learning Welsh last July, she certainly put me to shame!

Jec, welcome to Cardiff. We hope that you can make it on 11th. We meet from about 7 until 9.

4 Likes

Never above anything, Sonia! All practice is very useful, but we’ve got the in-laws coming to stay. (But, hey, if I can work up the courage to speak to my father-in-law in Welsh then I’ll get some practice that way :wink:

1 Like

Monday 4 April 2016. Sorry I can’t be there tonight as I am in Hereford, looking after my granddaughters. Phil is in Cardiff and will probably arrive about 8.20 ish after his Spanish class. Haven’t seen some of you for quite a while. Hope everyone well.
Mr mad Mrs Wondersheep - nearly time for you to venture north to Bootcamp! Have a great time and give my love to Aran, Catryn, Geraint and any of the other returnees from the first time.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m hoping we’ll make an appearance again in May, we’ll see.

Yr hen lyfrgell - I wondered if the cafe bar would be good as an alternative venue occasionally/in addition. I have visited a few times now and they are very good at talking to learners. It is also nice and central and something important to support.

2 Likes

I usually spend some of my meal breaks at Yr hen Lyfrgell as they always greet you and speak with you in Welsh. They do lovely coffee and cake (their chocolate brownie cake is to die for!) and the other day I noticed they do Rev. James on draught (which of course I DON’T drink when I’m working!). They also do cooked food as well.
It is a lovely venue and could easily be used as an alternative to Y Mochyn Du, or perhaps as an additional venue. There are plenty of people who meet there conversing in Welsh and could potentially grow the group once again. A fantastic idea @jenny_white_378 ! :smiley:

3 Likes

But … but … I’d have to walk more than 200 yards!!! :wink:

No arguments from me (but as an ‘as well as’ rather than an ‘instead of’, perhaps?)

3 Likes

Are you planning on meeting on Monday 2nd May? I know it’s a bank holiday, but that’s why I may be able join you. :smile:

1 Like

It seems like a good reason for keeping the meeting to the first Monday despite the bank holiday. Phil and I will be there. Who else will be coming?

Gav? Mr and Mrs Super Wondersheep? Julie? Xose? Sara? Anyone else?

Look forward to seeing you S-J.

2 Likes

We’re likely to make an appearance for an hour and then vanish.

2 Likes

Like piff, paff, puff!?

2 Likes

I’ll make a big effort to get there (I know … I have so far to come!) I’m wrestling through the weekend with a monster piece of work that I absolutely have to finish before I go on holiday next week, so if I’ve reached panic mode by Monday night I might not get there. But I’ll probably be in sore need of a pint and a bit of diversion away from work by that point!

2 Likes

I should be able to make it this Monday also.

1 Like

Hi – hoping to come along as a first-timer tomorrow if it’s on (though not at a stage where I can say too much!) Travelling back from the midlands in the afternoon so might be a bit after 7
Tom

1 Like

Hello!

Gareth and I will be there tomorrow at about 7.00. We’ll only be able to stay for an hour or so as I’ll have an early start on Tuesday to drive home.

Looking forward to see old faces and new!

2 Likes

After forgetting completely the meeting last month :frowning:️ I will be there tonight, 4th July, but possibly a little bit late. Hope some of the regulars will be there and maybe some newcomers too. Everyone welcome.

1 Like

Hi - I intend to come along (though having some travel vaccinations this afternoon so will see how that goes :anguished: )

Think 4 of us made it last month so all was well!
Tom

1 Like