SSi Forum

New Joiner

Continuing the discussion from Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?:

Hi I’ve done first two sentences and am enjoying it . I did live in Wales previously in Pen Y Bont in Powys and loved it . My Gran Ma was Welsh lived in Amlwch and Caernarfon before meeting my Grand Dad and moved to Liverpool .
A lovely friendly forum and will pursue this with full vigour . Thanks for having me . Bill

Thanks for having me

Thanks for joining us :smiley: Pob lwc

Look forward to hearing updates on your journey.

A very warm welcome to our family. I don’t consider myself to be biased but if I am, it’s because this forum and the people that partake of it, are the kindest, most encouraging people I have ever come into contact with. You will NEVER be alone whilst you are here. Have a wonderful journey.

Thanks AliC very appreciative of that .
Bill

Sure you will Macky
Bill

Cheers Huw
Bill

Confused by pronunciation of “sut”! Always been pronouncing it as “sit” but now having to retrain my brain to say “shudd” instead. Perplexed.

If you prefer “sit”, that’s fine, no need to retrain! - the difference in pronounciation is a regional/personal preference. You tend to hear “sit” more in the North and “shud” more in the South, but both are perfectly acceptable wherever you are :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, Bill - lovely to have you here :slight_smile: :star2:

Thanks Aran 3rd lesson harder but hanging in there lol Bill

Shw mae, Anna?

Sorry to hear I’ve confused you. Then again - you’ll get used to it!

When we say ‘southern course’. we actually mean ‘speaking Welsh like Iestyn’ course, and if you end up speaking like me, that’s great. But if you already have a few bits and pieces of Welsh, and you want to stick with them, then that’s just as good.

In one way it’s better, because it means you are speaking your Welsh not mine. When you have your very own accent that is different from your teacher, then you really own the language. Da iawn!

Now the trick is to enjoy it, warts and all!

Thank you both. It’s difficult to have a preference as I mostly frequent the Aberystwyth area, bang in the middle! I’m aware from my Duolingo course that there are regional differences, but I hadn’t encountered this one yet. I’m definitely enjoying myself though. Just wish there were more hours in the day!