New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

Good - that sounds as though we actually managed to stretch you properly for the first time…:slight_smile:

Push on with the bits of L3 that are available, and come back to 2.25 in a week - then a fortnight after that - then a month after that, and once every month or two from then on… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have to say that @henddraig makes me sound positive!!!

The thing is you’ll only see how much you’ve retained in a few months. Come the summer you will have come on a huge amount.

Record a short video on your ipad @aran suggested this once. In three months record another. Then play them back and see your progress.

2 Likes

I know how to record sound on this laptop, Will that do? I actually prefer not to have to look at me and Toffi gets very confused if she sees me in 2 places at once!
ps Before starting 3.01 on the ipad, I started reading the thread about Level 3 on my laptop and I’m feeling very odd. Here am I, creeping up on a task nervously and all of you were jumping up and down screaming with joy at its arrival and frustration at delays!! But of course, you had all had to wait a long time and had no doubt been practicing, reading, trying Radio Cymru, watching S4C with subtitles in Welsh and various other things causing you to be fluent to the stage of the end of 2.25, Whereas I am not, not nohow…: :fearful:

Of course

We were not , and are not (course 3!, the excitement, disappointment, confusion, understanding ect continue) just enjoy.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Also, not sure how much you read about Level 3, but don’t get discouraged if challenges 1 + 2 seem a bit “off” in some respects such as volume levels or pause lengths; later ones are better again in my experience.

1 Like

Diolch! Am @Pete2 - sound only :thumbsup:
To @ramblingjohn and @philipnewton for encouragement of knowing I am not that far behind (gobeithio!)

1 Like

Weird experience so far! Is it possible to live in Wales or watch S4C without knowing gwesti or siop? I guess the software glitches are causing the huge delays between utterances, which I am sure I will remember with nostalgia and want back in future sessions! Currently, the difficult things are those I am supposed to know already! I will read more of the chat prior to the launch of 3.01 before getting back to it - about a third through ar hyn o bryd!

@aran is it you in 3.01? It doesn’t sound like you and some of the longer sentences are faster than you usually are! I am bemused as to why any of us might be expected to buy a shop or a hotel! A few postcards, yes! I am still finding that ‘new’ I know, supposedly known, I tend to have forgotten! Likely not finish 3.01 tonight.

Wel, @aran finished 3.01 which, for me was easier than half of the challenges in series 2!! Mind, I’m not sure of the threat to make things harder!

2 Likes

3.02 just started and realised I always, in sentences like ‘she forgot it’ use ‘fe’ for it,hwntw that I am. Will it be terribly confusing for Gogledd learners on Skype? And you have just caused me to dissolve into giggles with all this about buying a shop! Most of us regard shops as places to buy somewhat smaller things!
Nawr te, amser cinio!

If you mean the group Skype sessions, Tatjana who is usually there speaks Hwntw and so we hear southern words anyway.

Otherwise I’m sure it will depend on whether the learner has only used SSiW or whether they have supplemented their learning with other materials such as TV, radio, Duolingo, Memrise, books etc. – if the latter, they are bound to come across fe (and gallu, moyn, clou, …) at some point anyway.

So if fe comes most naturally out of your mouth, don’t worry about it :slight_smile: Paid â phoeni amdano fo… or should I say, Paid becso amdano fe? :wink:

1 Like

I am a total mix up, bach! I’d have said, “paid phoeni amdano fe!”

1 Like

@aran OK it works, suddenly in 3.02 up pops an almost correct paid trio cerdded i’r ysgol ar ben dy hyn Only a ‘d’ missing!

1 Like

@aran, more of 3.02 and now I find you think I may wish to buy a wall!! Was this whole challenge an exercise to find the least likely thiings we’d ever want to say? If so, you failed! In 2004 we actually needed to buy two retaining walls, one out front and one at the back!
Mind, throwing anything over a hotel is beyond my imagination!

1 Like

OK , wedi gorffen 3.02! Very distracted by weird ideas of shopping preferences and what the throw where! Dread 3.03, as I am told it is designed to remove any confidence I might have managed to scrape up!

@aran I already thought that putting henw for name could be confusing and wham In 3.03 - henw heno pops up! Why is her name ei henw hi, and not ei enw hi?

Paid a gorfeddwl hi!!!

Don’t overthink it.

It’s just natural. Try saying ei enw hi. Then ei henw hi. Which is easier?

1 Like

Wel, I do sound my ‘hs’ but in this case I find ei enw hi perfectly easy and I bet @Iestyn does! Oh , he probably says eno for heno!!! :wink:
Oh dear, done no more of 3.03 and it’s amser cinio!

Not quite that simple I’m afraid, as to the best of my knowledge, ei enw (f)o does not take the h-.

It’s a grammar thing (related, no doubt, to the aspiration in things such as ei chefn “her back” or ei phwrs “her purse” or ei thad “her father”).

Meaning, @henddraig: don’t worry about it :slight_smile: Just become used to hearing and saying it.

2 Likes