New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

I think you’re missing my point. Ei enw fo and ei henw hi just sound natural.

Grammar surely developed as a result of speaking. Not the other way round.

These kinds of mutations are very much a moveable feast, and you can get away with all sorts of stuff. My aversion to h’s are rightly mentioned - ei enw hi (or possibly ei enw 'i even) is totally natural to me, even though I am growing an h in places since moving westwards.

But in the norht you will hear things like “ei mham hi”, with the h inserted into the word mam: totally against any known grammar “rule”, but a totally natural part of some people’s speech.

In other words - mutations smutations. Stop worrying about them, and use what feels right. You will very quickly find that you either fit in with the Welsh that you hear most, or you’ll forget to mutate / over mutate as much as a natural Welsh speaker does. Either way is fine!

4 Likes

Diolch. This is why i hate grammar and am happy to boldly go where the language takes me :slight_smile:

I definitely use more hwntw than I used to! Localisms are the way forward!

@henddraig my fiancée never says “henw”. Paid a phoeni (or as I hear more often, paid poeni) amdanyn

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr! So it’s hwntw not a foible of mine! If I still use fe e not fo o, I can ditch the odd gog h!

Pam lai? I use “henw” because I like the sound. Interestingly, Emma’s brother (my soon to be brother in law) uses “hefo” a lot. That’s a very gog phrase. They both grew up in Cardiff. Gog mam, English speaking Dad, Glantaf education. It’s a mix!!

A lot of the Welsh in Cardiff is such a mix. So, therefore, even less reason to worry :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@aran, I sometimes lose words. In English I mean. Clearly Altzheimers is creeping up on me! Today, I hear in 3.03 “that we can’t practice.”
And blank went mind! I know ymarfer, it’s an old friend, but it went until Catrin gave it back to me! And I felt an odd pleasure! My brain is no longer discriminating! Cymraeg neu Saesneg, either can be ripped off for a while!s
Awkward if the English goes, Janet knows no Cymraeg!

1 Like

Just thought I’d say, no voice heno to finish 3.03! Only about a third done!

I don’t think it’s an age thing. I have noticed that my English seems to be getting worse. i think my brain is trying to merge the two languages into one by merging grammars. I notice that I’m using simpler English constructions more often these days. I blame this entirely on too much Welsh, if such a thing is possible.

1 Like

I only use simple constructions in quick postings from my iPad! I am not a ‘simple construction’ type writer! It is words I lose. Names, yes, from way back, but now ones I cannot believe I cannot call to mind! Also ordinary words like ymarfer or practice, not that I’ll lose that for awhile, Age for sure!

Oh @aran all this about climbing over walls! I’m sure you’ve never been yn y carchar (word learned from Rownd a Rownd!) but I kept getting visions of jail breaks!

Ok. Sort of ‘done’ 3.03! @aran you can tell how badly by the fact that this is in English! I did think at one point you mixed using ti and chi for 'you’in the same sentence. I may be wrong, but if I did that, would it be ever so weird?
Nawr te, do I do 3.04 next or 2.24 and2.25 first?

Yes that is in there.

It could happen for a number of reasons - switching focus from singular to plural - or just a shift in what you’re thinking about - shouldn’t, technically, but hey… :slight_smile:

It’s at 28.12 of 3.03

How high do you want to climb before you go?

The welsh is given as

Pa mor uchel wyt ti isio dringo cyn i chi fynd?

Ah, right - yes, that’s the new algorithm - struggling a bit early doors to fit things into the right sentences - I remember thinking that was an acceptable version of the kind of situation where you might easily be saying (you singular) before (you plural go)…

1 Like

Just remembered another (sorry).

At 12.00 thereabouts of 3.02 , you say what sounds like “Try to give him more time if you’d slow down”, and then give the welsh as “mi driwn i rhoi mwy o amser iddo fo tasech chdi’n arafu”. Or something like that.

I suspect the “I’d” has been cut off the start of the english. But i don’t understand why “tasech chdi’n” and not “tasech chi’n” or “taset ti’n”. Is it just another form?

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

It’s a very common northern form for ‘ti’.

2 Likes

Diolch I’d missed that! I tend to use ti now anyway!

@aran sorry but 3.04 or repeat 2.24 and 2.25 first?