Oxford walks

For next Sunday’s (12th) walk, as hopefully there’s still time to see a good display of bluebells, I suggest either Shotover Country Park or Wytham Wood, both on the edge of Oxford (another, more adventurous option, could be Foxholes Wood Nature Reserve between Kingham and Shipton-under-Wychwood).
Do let me know, pawb, if you have a preference for one or the other of these or have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Helo pawb - No preferences expressed so far for Sunday’s walk, so shall we settle on Wytham Wood (the Conservator’s Office have pointed us to where there’s still a good display of bluebells) :slightly_smiling_face:?
I suggest we meet up at 12:00 outside the Trout Inn at Wolvercote - parking is available a couple of hundred yards away nearer to Wolvercote village in Port Meadow car park and, if needed, there are buses from central Oxford to Wolvercote. Hope you can make it and do let me know if you have any questions
Hwyl, John

A very quick reminder about tomorrow’s walk+sgwrs (Sun 12th May) starting out at 1200 outside The Trout in Wolvercote. Do please let me know if you’re planning to join us so we can keep an eye out for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Perfect weather for the today’s Wytham Wood walk :sunny: and diolch @RichardBuck & Alan am y sgwrs

For next month’s walk how about the weekend of 29/30 June or perhaps Sun 9 June? Alternatively some weekdays might also be possible if that would work for anyone. Let me know if you think you might be interested @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 and anyone else who might be interested. And to repeat the earlier post …

Hwyl, John

Any takers?

Helo pawb - Sat 29 June is going to be the day for this month’s walk. Depending on who can make it, we could do a Chilterns walk from Goring-on-Thames to the S of Oxford, a walk including North Leigh Roman villa to the NW or around Otmoor to the E - and, of course, alternative suggestions are welcome. Do let me know if you think you might be interested. :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

It’s been a bit quiet on this thread for a while but looking ahead to next month, could a walk+sgwrs on Sat 22 or Sun 23 Sept work for any of you?
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Do let me know if you think you might be interested - nearer the date I’ll be suggesting a route, but other ideas very welcome :slight_smile:

Sorry, as usual I can’t manage Saturday or Sunday morning, though I am free on Sunday afternoon.
It looks as if I will be free on Saturday 19 October if a walk is planned for next month. My usual Saturday companion will be in Scotland - if a complicated set of reciprocal arrangements with her neighbour for the feeding of cats goes ahead. ( I said November this morning in the Kings Arms because that’s when I thought it was, but I checked and it isn’t.)
Sue

Sunday 22 September is a possibility for me, for what it’s worth …

Diolch @owen-mcknight - so maybe an afternoon walk on Sun 22nd could work, then. @Betterlatethan, if we were to start out from Oxford Station, say, what time do you think you might be able to join us there?

I don’t think there’s any hope of catching the 13:02 train - I may still be in the shop. I could catch the 14:05, arriving at Oxford at 14:13. There would be some delay while I buy a ticket at the barrier in Oxford - we don’t have a ticket machine at our station.
When we had our river trip, I made it to Folly Bridge in time to catch the boat by catching the 13:33 bus. This supposedly reaches Westgate at 13:54, though it may be late (or even missing). Allowing time to walk to the station, this might make it - er - about 14:13. :confused:
Is that any good, @johnwilliams_6, @owen-mcknight?
Where were you thinking of going?
Of course, if you both fancied coming to Radley, we could look at Radley Lakes…?
Sue

1 Like

Happy to cycle to Radley if we can agree a meeting point!

The racks on the approach road to Radley Station are probably the easiest place to leave a bike. This is conveniently near to the bus stop and the Bowyer Arms in case any refreshment is needed.
Sue

OK, this is sounding like a plan :slightly_smiling_face: How about if we say we’ll meet up at 13:30 outside Radley Station?

13:30 outside Radley Station (start of station approach road near bus stop) seems good to me.

Possiblilties include:

1. To Radley Lakes, round lakes and back. (3.15 miles)
  2. To Radley Lakes, take cycle track (on former railway line to Abingdon), past Tennis Centre to Audlett Drive, Abbey Fish Ponds, past Wick Hall and return. (4.1 miles) This does include some outskirts of housing estates, but not much.
  3. To Radley Lakes, through old gravel pits to Thames, Thames path towards Abingdon but cut back across field to cycle track, return round other side of lakes and back to Radley. (about 5 miles)
  4. To Radley Lakes, through old gravel pits to Thames, Thames path towards Oxford as far as Radley College Boathouse, return through Lower Radley. (about 5 miles)
    Reasonable weather is needed. The Thames path gets horribly muddy after rain.
    Sue
2 Likes

Diolch Sue - these all sound like good possibilities - we could leave deciding on which to go for on the day.
Hwyl, John

That’s great! Looking forward to it.

Forecast for Sunday is 60%-70% chance of rain all afternoon. @johnwilliams_6, @owen-mcknight, shall we look again tomorrow and then decide? It would not be a lot of fun in the rain.
Sue

Certainly we can do that - at the moment, by the way, it’s just the three of us you, @owen-mcknight and me that have said they’re interested althougth there’s always the possibility that someone might turn up unanounced (as has happened in the past)

1 Like