Oxford walks

We’ll aim to join you for at least some of the time!

2 Likes

Helo bawb - with summer on the way (I’m told … :roll_eyes:) hopefully we’ll have more opportunities for practising Cymraeg by having a regular walk+sgwrs. I’ve put together a few suggestions here for walks which should be reasonably accessible by public transport: Poss Oxford walks (Summer 2021).pdf (1.6 MB) - any other suggestions very welcome (if those without their own transport would be happy to accept a lift that would also open up quite a number of other possibilities)! :slightly_smiling_face:

As well as where, there’s also the issue of when, of course. In the past most of our walks were on a Saturday morning, but having them at the weekend doesn’t suit everyone, nor having them during the week. Maybe we could alternate, but do let us have your thoughts and comments on this.

For any newcomers, the idea is to have the opportunity to practise Welsh in a relaxed atmosphere while walking in pleasant countryside. Conversation tends to be a mix of Welsh and English and any gaps in conversation tend to feel quite natural, whereas these can start to feel quite awkward when seated around a table etc. Walks also have the advantage that we come across new things to talk about as we go! Partners and kids welcome to join us too - no need for them to speak Welsh! Let me know if you have any questions, comments ot suggestions

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John
PS @chris-roberts @owen-mcknight @RichardBuck - hope your walk on Sunday didn’t turn out to be too wet

5 Likes

I like the look of all these walks, including several places I don’t know. Thank you for putting this together, especially finding walks from bus and train stations.

My children aren’t walkers which means I won’t usually make Saturday walks - instead, Sundays are best for me, but that might be trickier for public transport. I’d vote for alternating days, or simply trying to fit in with the weather!

1 Like

Thanks John - the walks look interesting and I haven’t done most of them.

Our walk round the more “rural” parts of the Leys started inauspiciously with rain and high winds (and Richard nearly losing his hat) but it quickly calmed down and didn’t start raining again until just after we’d finished, so we were lucky there!

2 Likes

Thank you, @johnwilliams_6. That’s a great selection. I know some, parts of others and some not at all.
Sue

1 Like

Helo eto - I’ve set up this Doodle poll for June to help decide on dates for walks for those who might be interested: https://doodle.com/poll/nvpw9v3rf4fy9a3h?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link
Click once on any dates which would be OK for you or twice for ‘maybe’ (you can go back to change your choices later if you need to)
Hwyl
John

Thanks, @johnwilliams_6
I have put maybe against several Thursdays and Saturdays, but I generally walk with Carol, so it may depend on whether she wants to come too.
Sue

1 Like

I am possibly interested in these walks but how do I nullify giving any personal data to Doodle. Their pages for the management of Cookies is not very clear. Hwyl - Trefor Wiliams

By the look of it @trefor-williams the only way to get rid of cookies is via your browser settings - I did a search in my browser settings and it came up with three cookies. If you can’t find them on yours or you can’t access the Doodle poll after dealing with them, jut send me a PM with your choices and I can factor them in or maybe even include them in the poll under a false name/ffug enw
Hwyl,
John

With my apologies for such short notice :slightly_frowning_face:, our first June walk+sgwrs is going to be tomorrow, Sat 5th June in Port Meadow. We’ll be meeting up at midday by the southern Port Meadow car park (see page 6 of pdf in post ten days ago).
Let us know if you’re planning to join us so we can keep an eye open for you, or if you have any questions
Hwyl,
John
PS We should be able to provide much more notice of the next walks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m afraid that my maybe for tomorrow has now turned into a not available! Enjoy the meadow and hopefully I’ll be free for a later walk.

1 Like

Diolch Chris - hope you can make the next one

1 Like

Diolch @ruth-connor @owen-mcknight @RichardBuck Jenni & y plantos for such an enjoyable walk+sgwrs in the Port Meadow sunshine yesterday :sunny: .
By any chance, did anyone get any photos for this or the What’s outside threads (as usual I forgot! :roll_eyes:)?

PS At the moment there are still quite a few people who have yet to complete the Doodle Poll, but, looking at the results so far, the most promising dates for future walks this month seem to be Sun 13th, Sat 19th, Sun 20th, Mon 21st, Sat 26th - maybe that will change, though, once a few more people have ‘Doodled’ …

I think we all enjoyed the cygnets and goslings! And it looks as if the dragonfly we saw at Wolvercote Lakes might have been a broad-bodied chaser.

2 Likes

We can’t beat Owen’s animals but the green wall on the way back home was pretty cool.

1 Like

That’s quite something! Was it in Roger Dudman Way? Looks very much like it but, if it is, it must be the bit which was covered in scaffolding the last time I saw it - must have another trip down that way!

Yes it was. It was a lovely quiet walk. With the bonus of a few trains going past :grin:

1 Like

Looks as if next Sunday, 13th June, is going to be the best date for our next walk ticked in the Doodle poll by @owen-mcknight, @Adamc, Richard Williams, Linda Murphy and me (@trefor-williams you said you might be interested in joining us depending on the day). That said, is a midday start OK for everyone and are there any preferences from the route suggestions I posted earlier

… or alternative suggestions?
Hwyl,
John
PS After Sunday, one day the following weekend 19th or 20th and the Saturday after that, 26th are likely to be the dates of the next walks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! For this coming Sunday, I’ll defer to other people about the route (because different people are coming) and timings (because I’m waiting for confirmation of another commitment that day). At the moment I can also make Sunday 20th.

1 Like

hey. i have to take my girlfriend to get her vaccine on sunday but i’ll keep my eyes peeled for future dates! enjoy

1 Like