Oxford walks

Helo eto - for tomorrow’s walk+sgwrs (Sat 21st Jan) we’ll be heading out from Bury Knowle Park in Headington to BBOWT’s Sydlings Copse Nature Reserve, meeting up at 2pm prompt by the park entrance next to the bus stop. Let me know if you’re planning to join us so we can keep an eye out for you :slightly_smiling_face:
John

Great walk yesterday a diolch i Linda, @chris-roberts, @RichardBuck & Marie am y sgwrs. The sun was barely visible through the freezing fog but, together with the hoar frost in the hedgerow, this made it all the more atmospheric (photos anyone? :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

PS This is the link to the article about the strange little building at Wick Farm which was posted last year:

2 Likes

Photos!

4 Likes

Gwych! :slightly_smiling_face:

Our walk on Saturday crossed over Bayswater Brook and we talked of the risk of its flooding. @chris-roberts @RichardBuck - here’s the flood risk map I mentioned:

1 Like

Helo bawb - it’s been far too long since we last planned a walk+sgwrs - down to me, I’m afraid :roll_eyes:

Anyway, let’s see if we can arrange another soon.:slightly_smiling_face: How might Saturday 19th or Sunday 20th August suit people? If not, please feel free to make alternative suggestions (could be a weekday or a weekend)
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hi John - I could do the 20th.

1 Like

Helo bawb - this month’s walk+sgwrs is going to be this Sunday, 20th August. Timing and route will depend on who can join us so please do get in touch if you think you might be interested or have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - just to let you know will be going to Shotover starting out at 2pm from Oxford’s Thornhill Park & Ride, following the footpath up to Shotover Plain, before exploring the area and returning via BBOWT’s CS Lewis Nature Reserve (see
cwshotover1.pdf (321.3 KB)
Do please let me know if you’d like to join us, or if you have any questions
Hwyl
John
PS As always, newcomers welcome! No problem if you prefer to just tag along and listen to some Welsh first! :slightly_smiling_face:

Helo bawb - with autumn approaching and the prospect of dazzling displays of autumn leaves it’s high time we arranged another walk+sgwrs :walking_woman::walking_man: :slightly_smiling_face:

A good bet at the moment, with a forecast of a sunny day, is Sunday 22nd October so let’s go for that - start time will depend on what works best for most people. Shotover Country Park or BBOWT’s Sydlings Copse or Wytham Woods, and further afield, Bernwood Forest (nr Horton-cum-Studley) are all likely to be good options for autumn colour. Any preferences?

Do get in touch if you have any questions. And it’s worth repeating…

Partners and children welcome (provided, of course, that they don’t mind much of the conversation being in Welsh) - also dogs if everybody’s happy with that.

Hwyl am y tro
John

Helo bawb - for various reasons, today’s walk+sgwrs has been postponed to next weekend, 28th/29th October. Keep an eye on this thread for updates :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl
John

Helo eto - at the moment the forecasts for the Saturday and Sunday this weekend (28th & 29th) seem little different but, as the clocks go back on Sunday and it’ll be getting dark an hour, let’s settle on Saturday and Wytham Woods. Main routes in Wytham Woods are mostly surfaced with tarmac, gravel etc whereas recent rains mean that many areas elsewhere are likely to be pretty soggy underfoot.
We’ll meet up in Wytham Woods Car Park at 12:00 (see map), but if you should need it, it ought to be possible to arrange a lift from Central Oxford.

Let me know if you’re thinking of joining us so we can keep an eye out for you :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl am y tro
John

The leaves only just starting to turn today in Wytham Woods but, as you can see, the sun was shining!

1 Like

Helo bawb - anyone interested in a woodland walk this weekend or next (Bernwood Forest? Shotover? Wytham,Woods?). Had a walk in Wytham Woods this morning and the autumn leavers are starting to colour up nicely - see What’s outside :slightly_smiling_face: