Oxford Welsh learners group

Let’s do the Turf! I like it there! No harm in getting to know it well!
And it’s warm in there!:joy:

Great! At the usual 11:00-ish?

1 Like

Perffaith!

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s MAO cafe meetup from 12:00 (Thurs 1st March) and diolch yn fawr i @cat-1 for keeping things going in my absence.

Also don’t forget the invitation to the St David’s Day service in Jesus College Chapel on the same day - a bit(!) inconvenient being on the same day if you’re planning to come to the lunchtime meetup, but if you can’t make the MAO cafe it’s another opportunity to fit in some Cymraeg (and indeed Welshness - diolch @pippapritchard :slight_smile:)

Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Dim probs @johnwilliams_6! :grinning:
Although now been chased under duvet by horrid sore throated lurgy. :mask:
May not surface for a couple of days. Happy Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant pawb if I don’t make it.

Oh dear, bad luck @cat-1 - think a nice, soothing, steaming, bowl of cawl / lobscaws is called for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fine idea Mr W! I may have enough energy to do that! :stew:

1 Like

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus everyone, and I hope your lurgy goes away soon @cat-1. Under the duvet does seem a good place to be though, as the wind blows the snow into drifts. Our shop has got in extra supplies of bread and milk to keep us going.
Sue

1 Like

Thank you and same to you @Betterlatethan, and everyone else!
It’s a good job the lurgy prevented me today, as the school closed at one - I’d have been in a fine pickle if I’d have been in Oxford at midday!
Best foods for lurgy and snow ( aside from cawl of course)? EGGY BREAD! :egg::bread:

1 Like

And now for something completely different! Well, a different meetup venue for Monday, anyway :slight_smile: .
Mike Wroe, the owner of the Delicatessen Cafe on Abingdon Road has offered the cafe as a venue for the 11:00am meetup this Monday coming (5th March) and plans to join our sgwrs. The cafe is just across Folly Bridge on the Abindon Road a couple of doors down from the White House pub. Hope to see you there,
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I have to take Dot to ‘ave er leg seen to’ up at yr ysbyty so cannot do this Monday, which is a BIG shame as I was very much hoping to eyeball the Welsh Cafe! :disappointed:

Hope the leg (and indeed the rest of Dot!) will be doing fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch John! Hoping the leg will be fine - it is considerably less boncyrs than the rest of her!

1 Like

Well, @johnwilliams_6 and I made it to the Delicatessen Cafe on Abingdon Road on Monday. It’s a shame that everyone else was otherwise engaged. We had a chat with Mike Wroe, the owner. I rather disgraced myself by failing to understand when he asked what my name was, but he and John were talking well. I did recover enough to buy a filled baguette for my lunch.

It’s a tiny cafe. We could fill it completely with a reasonable turn-out. It has a big advantage for me as a venue - I can get back in time for my exercise class. Although I would love to explore the delights of the Turf Tavern, I would never manage to extract myself and get to the bus in time.

Sue

4 Likes

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s MAO cafe meetup from 12:00 (Thurs 8th March) - all welcome
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

For various reasons only @Betterlatethan and me could make it to last Monday’s meetup in the Deli Cafe in Abingdon Road (see map & directions below) so let’s make that the venue again for next Monday’s 11:00am meetup (12th March) to give everyone a chance to check it out.

Thursday’s 12:00 meetup (15th March) will be as usual in the MAO cafe. All welcome and, for any newcomers, we’re usually there for1-2 hours so don’t worry if you think you might be a bit late :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right! Lurgy FINALLY nearly gone, and children’s limbs all intact for now so hoping very much to be there on Monday! Hurrah! :smile_cat:

1 Like

Whoops! Somehow the copy & paste missed out the actual location of the Deli Cafe - having another go…

2 Likes

Guess what? Small ill child this morning OF COURSE. Not life threatening but boring and a bit contagious so sofa day for us.
Sorry troops - have chips for me today if they do them!
:mask::fries:

Oh, bad luck @cat-1 plus small ill child :disappointed: - hope it’ll have cleared up by Thursday for both your sakes :slight_smile:
Not sure if caff does chips, but Mike Y Caffi’s open to new suggestions, so there’s one right there - will try to remember to mention it him…

1 Like