Oxford Welsh learners group

Sorry, I forgot :disappointed: - must check next Mondayā€¦

In the meantime a reminder about tomorrowā€™s meet-up, Thurs 15th, as usual from 12:00 onwards in the MAO cafe.
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Not me today Iā€™m afraid - I have a small hay emergency (how often do you get to say that?) to solve.

Iā€™m hoping to be there - I can remind you to ask him in person :joy:

Definitely something to be included in a new edition of the legendary ā€œMy postillion has been struck by lightning!ā€ phrase book :slight_smile:

!Sorry you canā€™t make it today - good luck with that hay - tan dydd Llun, 'ta!

:joy:
One must be careful of oneā€™s postillions, timod!

1 Like

Hoping to be there today @johnwilliams_6 ā€¦ may be a little late though.
:slight_smile:

Thanks, @johnwilliams_6 and @mikeellwood. I enjoyed the session. Itā€™s a shame you couldnā€™t come, @cat-1. I hope that you sorted out your hay emergency.

About the possibility of meeting in Headington - in general, if I can make it to Oxford on a Thursday then I should be able to make it to Headington. Some Thursdays I can, some Thursdays I canā€™t. Not Mondays though.

Itā€™s probably best if you go ahead and arrange something to suit other Richard and the majority, and Iā€™ll come if I can.

Sue

1 Like

Yes, diolch @Betterlatethan and @mikeellwood - it was a good meet-up!

Quick explainer: I was asking about this as one of our group, Richard Williams, who works in Headington has been under too much pressure of work to make it to meet-ups in central Oxford so I was wondering at todayā€™s meet-up if having occasional meet-ups in Headington might allow him to join us again.

2 Likes

And now that we know there is such a thing, I suppose we should at least attempt a Welsh version:

argyfwng gwair? (argyfwng wair?)

brys gwair? (brys wair?)

(for some reason, I want to mutate the second word, but Iā€™m not sure why).

I suppose if you want to avoid a hay emergency, you should make hay while the sun shines:

(from Geiriadur Academi):
to make hay while the sun shines - Prov:
cynnull dy wair tra peryā€™r tes,
cynaeafu tra boā€™n dywydd teg

3 Likes

Sorry I missed you all today - hay problem solved temporarily so YAY!
Donā€™t know Headington all that well - might be fun to investigate!

1 Like

Parking is a pain, but buses are usually plentiful.

2 Likes

Might have to acquaint myself with yet another Park & Ride service!

1 Like

Hello Welsh learners. Iā€™d like to come along to the group at some point but my level is probably too woefully basic at the moment. I just wanted to ask - does everyone in the group speak the southern version of Welsh or are there any North Walians?

4 Likes

Hi @chris-roberts! Thereā€™s a mix of both actually, a fairly even split Iā€™d say. The differences are never a problem and often give us interesting things to talk about. Everyone is very friendly, and your Welsh can be any level at all really. :relaxed:

1 Like

Definitely true, @chris-roberts. I am a recent recruit and still very hesitant with speaking. I am learning the southern version, but I am getting used to a variety of northern words. As @cat-1 says, thereā€™s a mix. You can say whichever version you know, and just start to recognise the alternatives as you hear them. Hope to see you!
Sue

1 Like

Thanks @cat-1 and @Betterlatethan for your helpful replies. I work shifts so some evenings can be tricky but will hopefully be able to join you at some point. Hwyl am y tro!
Chris.

3 Likes

Helo pawb - just to confirm, tomorrowā€™s 11:00 am meet-up (Mon 19 March) will again be in the Deli cafe on Abingdon Road (directions: over Folly Bridge; past White House pub; Deli cafe next door to barberā€™s shop immediately after crossing White House Rd - see also last weekā€™s map above).
On Thursday (22nd March), as usual, our meet-up will be from 12:00 onwards in the Modern Art Oxford (MAO) cafe, Pembroke St.
Hope to see you there
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Jo and I are hoping to be there tomorrow! :relaxed:

1 Like

Hooray! I hope to be there too on Monday, though it will depend on the buses. If we get a couple more people, we could fill the cafe.

Canā€™t make it on Thursday though.

Sue

2 Likes

Yn anffodus, maeā€™n rhaid i mi fynd at y deintydd [I looked that one up :slight_smile: ] eto yfory.

Iā€™m hoping to make it on Thursday though (might be a bit late).

Pop lwc at y deintydd yfory, Mike!
See you on Thursday, gobeithio

1 Like