Oxford Welsh learners group

Yes, same pattern as usual for next week’s meetups :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 20 Nov from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 22 Nov from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

I won’t be able to make the one on Friday, so do please let everyone know if you’re planning to be there (and when you’re hoping to arrive! :wink: ) so that others know there’ll be someone else there as well :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t come on Wednesday. There’s another shop meeting.
Sorry, but I shall not know about Friday until the time comes. I’ll get there if I can, but it might be late or not at all.
Sue

1 Like

I’m expecting to come on Friday, but I can’t remember when (if ever) I last managed to do so in a timely manner!

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t make it this Friday as I’m in a meeting all morning. Pity!

2 Likes

I will be at Cafe Bap on Wednesday also planning to be at RB on Friday. Hwyl Bethan

4 Likes

Helo pawb. Tomorrow is looking unlikely for me but I’m intending to come on Friday. I have to be at work at 1:15 so I’ll try to be as on time as possible!

2 Likes

Just to confirm this week’s meetups:

• Wednesday morning, 27 Nov from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 29 Nov from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

… plus a reminder about next week’s carol service (copies of the words will be available and it seems that this year there’ll be carols in Welsh and in English).

1 Like

I hope to get to both this week. Amazing.
Also, the carol service is now possible thanks to a swap of shifts.
Sue

3 Likes

I’m sorry I won’t be able to make it to Cafe Bap tomorrow. Have a good time. Hwyl Bethan

1 Like

I’m afraid I can’t make it to either meetup this week or the carol service but I should be at the RB a week on Friday as I’m off that day. I’m enjoying Sgŵp thanks @Betterlatethan.

I’m planning to be at the Royal Blenheim tomorrow.

In case you missed it on the Oxford walks thread …

What do you think? :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Sorry I couldn’t make Wednesday, I probably won’t make tomorrow at RB either as I have an engineer coming to repair my central heating boiler. Looking forward to seeing you all next week. Hwyl Bethan

2 Likes

Boiler repairs are important in the cold weather. I hope it is quick and successful. Hope to see you next Wednesday.
Sue

1 Like

Thank you Sue, I hope it’s quick and successful too, also not too expensive!!! Bethan

It’ll be the same meetup pattern as usual for the first week in December, i.e.

• Wednesday morning, 4 Dec from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 6 Dec from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Don’t forgot that also on Wednesday there’s the Welsh carol service in Jesus College from 4pm - just tell the porter’s lodge that you’re going to the carol service :slightly_smiling_face: We’ll be meeting up with @owen-mcknight at the entrance to the chapel.
There’ll be a printed programme with the words of the carols and this year it seems that there’ll be a carol or two in Sasneg as well as Cymraeg. In case you’d like an idea of what carols might be sung in Welsh (or would like a chance to practice the words beforehand :slightly_smiling_face:), here are a couple of pdf’s with those from the 2017 & 2018 carol services Carolau - Capel Coleg Yr Iesu (ed).pdf (1.3 MB)
and scan0001.pdf (110.2 KB) (2nd file is the bit I missed out from Wele Cawsom y Meseia)
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Yes, I’m very much looking forward to the Welsh carol service on Wednesday. In case you haven’t been to Jesus College before, the entrance is on Turl Street, and once you’re inside, the chapel is just on the right.

There’s a Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/831668513958264/ which gives the timings as 4 to 5.30 p.m. I’m not sure how promptly it will start so I’ll be outside the chapel before 4, but if you miss me I’m sure you’ll be able to find other SSiWers inside.

Finally, fair warning/encouragement: my singing is worse even than my Welsh (I belong to something called Tuneless Choir), so if you can’t sing then you’ll be in good company, and if you can then you’ll help swell the voices!

Owen

4 Likes

I hope to make it to Cafe Bap tomorrow and am also very much looking forward to the carol service. Unfortunately I am not able to sing in English or Welsh!!! I can’t make it to RB this Friday, due to flying visit I Caerdydd i cyfarfod ffrindiau! Hwyl Bethan

3 Likes

I am planning to be at Cafe Bap and the carol service too. My singing is very bad at the moment - I am taking tablets that give me a sore throat and make me cough. (How’s that for an excuse?)
Sue

2 Likes

I found out this morning that the cash machines in Santander at Carfax offer three language options. English, Spanish (naturally) and Cymraeg. I congratulated the man who was available to help, and he said that Cymraeg was fairly popular, though he hoped that people would not want too much help because his Cymraeg was not as good as his Spanish.
Sue

6 Likes