Oxford Welsh learners group

Sadly I’ll have to miss our May Day Zoom because I’m going into work (all alone) and my office PC has neither camera nor microphone! Hope to catch up in a couple of weeks and hope you’re all feeling better by then.

I have been pressing on with Level 3 of SSiW and trying Radio Cymru 10 minutes at a time. Very taken with all the Welsh-language pop music! I was particularly pleased with myself for managing to work out how to spell the title of a song I’d liked so I could find it again:

2 Likes

Diolch am y link, Owen :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi all - I forgot to ask if anyone else had been watching Iaith ar Daith on S4C?

Yes. Maybe we can attempt to discuss it some time.
Sue

1 Like

Are we going to have any Zoom meetups this week? :worried: - Yes, of course we are! :grinning:
It’ll be the usual pattern of virtual meetups (login details as before)

• 10:30am Wednesday 6th May
  • 12:00 Friday 8th May

Let me know if you’ve any queries :slightly_smiling_face:
Cadw’n saff , John
PS @chris-roberts @Betterlatethan - yes, Iaith ar Daith could be a topic, but we need to make sure we can include in the sgwrs even those who might not have seen it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Despite what I said on Fri it looks like I misremembered my shifts - I will be around on Wed this week but maybe not on Fri as it’s our wedding anniversary and we have a rare day off together.

2 Likes

Helo pawb - same pattern of virtual meetups as last week (login details as before)

• 10:30am Wednesday 13th May
  • 12:00 Friday 15th May

Let me know if you’ve any queries/problems :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff , John

I’m hoping to join you all this morning and say Bore da, I"m only on Level 1 so don’t expect me to say anything but I"m happy to sit at the back quietly and listen if that’s alright.

BW
Claire

1 Like

Yes, of course, dim problem - great to have you join us :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

I shall be attending a shop meeting at 10:30 unfortunately, so I can’t join you all this time. Sorry to miss you @claire-29, but I hope to see you another time.
Hwyl,
Sue

hello again, I’ve tried joining but Zoom is asking me for a password which I can’t find. normally with Zoom meetings I click on a link and I don’t need a password. hmm.

Hi @claire-29
I have just come out of my shop meeting. I think that @johnwilliams_6 is otherwise occupied at the moment, but the zoom meeting should still be available. I am sending you a personal message, and I hope that you will be able to find it.
Sue

1 Like

Good to speak to you, @claire-29, and I look forward to meeting you again at 12 on Friday.
Hwyl,
Sue

1 Like

Thank you all for making me feel very welcome at my first Zoom meet up. I understood a little of your conversation. I recognised lots of words but couldn’t remember their meaning so I was checking on my spreadsheet of vocabulary that I’ve learnt. I have a few questions:
Can anyone recommend :

1. Any good programmes (aimed at learners) on S4C or online ?
  2. Any story books suitable for learners ? I’m quite happy to read kid’s picture books :slight_smile:
    Diolch yn fawr iawn
    Hwyl
    Claire

Hi @claire-29,

It was great to see you.

I started reading with “Cwm Grachod” then “Coed y Brenin” by Colin Jones published by Cadw sŵn. Unfortunately I lent them to someone some time ago, and I can’t remember who it was. Colin Jones wrote them for his own students and they have plenty of vocabulary and explanation.
I moved on to Ffenestri by Lois Arnold. It has short stories at three levels of difficulty, and I really enjoyed it. There is also “e-ffrindiau” by Lois Arnold. This was OK at first, but I rather lost interest part way through. “Sgŵp” by Lois Arnold is a great story, and worth a try in a little while. The Blodwyn Jones stories by Bethan Gwanas are popular, but use a northern dialect which I found more difficult at first, being a southern learner.
There is a good series “Cyfres Amdani”. At Mynediad level I have read “O Gaerfyrddin i Go Compare” which is the story of tenor Wynne Evans. He learned with SSiW. I have also read “Stryd y Bont” by Manon Steffan Ros. This is a very clever miniature thriller using easy language. After that there is a wide choice. “Stori Sydyn” is another good series of books, though it doesn’t include vocabulary, being aimed at reluctant readers who may be fluent in speaking Welsh.
Do you like “Mog the Forgetful Cat?” If so, then try “Mog y Gath Anghofus”. You can download a soundfile of someone reading it. I will try to find where it is and post a link. There is a very long thread of book suggestions on this forum, but it might be a bit overwhelming at first.
If you go to BBC i-Player and look for S4C, you will find a whole lot of children’s programmes, and also programmes for adults. You can watch them with subtitles and it’s all good even if you don’t understand much at first.
Hwyl,
Sue

Thank you very much Sue for all the book suggestions. I shall look them up on Amazon.
I’ve watched a few programmes on S4C and they’ve been good. I’ll have a look at the children’s programmes and see if they’re more at my level.

Have a good weekend.
CLaire

Hi @claire-29,

Here are some links.
Descriptions of books in the Cyfres Amdani.
https://parallel.cymru/amdani/

The thread with recommendations for books at various levels.

Audiobook versions of books for children.

As an alternative to Amazon, you could try http://www.gwales.com/intro/ or https://www.ylolfa.com/ I have bought books from both and they both gave good service.

Hwyl
Sue

I also started with a Colin Jones book. I think his ones are available on kindle if you can’t find them elsewhere. I also recommend Ffenestri & Sgŵp, and the Blodwen Jones books if you’re learning northern Welsh. I seem to have followed a similar reading trajectory to Sue albeit several steps behind and a lot slower!

1 Like

Many thanks to both of you for these recommendations. I really appreciate it.

Helo pawb - just to confirm this week’s Zoom meetups with login details as before (Zoom’s global technical hitch of the other day is now supposed to have been resolved :crossed_fingers:)

• 10:30am Wednesday 20th May
  • 12:00 Friday 22nd May

Do let me know if you’ve any queries/problems/comments etc :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadwch yn iach , John