Published: new advanced content

Hahaa!!!

Will sort this tonight. I did it last night - or so I thought - but posted the translation again - and it’s the Welsh version you want isn’t it! Doh!!

Has @Novem changed Nationalities in this or Dutch another of his many languages? Or can Iseldiroedd refer to Finland as well as The Nethlands!

Nope, that’s a good catch - Catrin getting Cai mixed up with Louis… :wink:

1 Like

Ah so Louis camped in the garden too? :grinning::grinning:

I wish! But it was lovely to see him at the party… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Helo pawb! Another episode of Stori Dwy Steddfod is up! Less than two weeks to go…!
It’s Episode 4.

3 Likes

Hi all! Another Sgwrs is up! Number 37 in Beca a’i Phobl.
You’ll have to hang on for the final episode of Stori Dwy Steddfod as the protagonist is currently on holiday in America! So selfish! :wink:

4 Likes

Hi @beca-brown. I’ve tried a couple of times to download the new trawsgriff, but it appears to be the one from your mum’s scwrs (number 17).

I checked it 3 minutes ago and even though I haven’t listened to it, the name in the beginning seems the correct one (I hadn’t tried to download it before, so I can’t tell since when it’s been on!)

Are you looking at the transcript or the translation, @gisella-albertini? I just tried the transcript again and I’m still seeing the wrong one. (Not just the wrong name, because I downloaded it to make sure.)

Oh sorry, I had read and checked if briefly from the phone and I had mistakenly seen the file and translation not the trawsgriff!
You’re right, it’s still number 17!

Changing it now!

For some reason the wrong transcript was still lurking in my uploads, and it got to the top of loading list! Should be ok now.

1 Like

Thank you!

By the way, when Leisa gets home, I would love it if you could ask her to explain the difference between Llafarau and Monologues. I am pretty sure the a Parti Llafarau is a group of people speaking in unison, like a choir without music. Is that right? But I can’t figure out the difference between Llafarau Unigol and a monologue.

1 Like

I’ve never competed in an Eisteddfod but my understanding is: llefaru is a poem, monologue is an acted piece. So Llefaru has a metre and timing, and they learn it off by heart as a poem. The monologue they act that monologue from a play.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Because Llafar means speech, I hadn’t grasped that.

Still, I can’t be the only one wondering, so I still think it would be an interesting question for Leisa!

She’ll also be able to explain it in much depth than me too :slight_smile:

Yes, llefaru is recited poetry - either as an individual or as a ‘choir’. A monologue can be a piece of literature, but it has to have dramatic elements. People generally choose an extract from a play for the monologue. The llefaru tradition is mocked a bit here, because it’s a bit unnaturalistic, especially when done as a choir! But lots of performers do it because it’s great for diction, and schools like it because it’s something for the children who can’t sing or who don’t like singing! I’ll get Leisa to give her opinion on both!
Oh, there’s also llefaru o’r ysgrythur - reciting from the scriptures. That’s declining in popularity but is also great for diction.
I teach children for llefaru competitions - well, teach in the loosest possible way! - I like it because it encourages children to commit poetry to memory which is valuable in itself, and cultures a sensitivity to words. I think it helps later when they do poetry appreciation at school…

2 Likes

So folks - there’ll be another Sgwrs going up later today - with an artist blacksmith!
Leisa returns from her holidays on Friday so the final episode of Stori Dwy Steddfod will soon follow!
And come September there will be a story - read and penned by yours truly - and sgyrsiau with learners. As well as the regular sgyrsiau, of course :blush:

2 Likes