Published: new advanced content

Yes, to be honest, yes I do but I miss a lot of things from the “old days”.

2 Likes

I think it’s more the rural accent tbh, more than the urban one.

1 Like

Geraint is definitely more rural than urban - just the tiny clip of the beard in that profile pic should be enough to drive that point home… :wink:

2 Likes

Having listened to the Leisa Gwenllian episode every night for the last week it’s quite a difference to play this one tonight and not even be sure what’s being talked about most of the time. Ouch.

1 Like

And that’s where the real value kicks in… :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

I paid attention, and read transcription and translation (of the first 7 minutes so far).
But…isn’t the “e” pronounced “e”…the normal way? :thinking:

p.s. can we chat about content here, besides method and form?
Or it’s not good for those who hasn’t listened to it yet? Maybe we should have a different thread for that with spoiler alert just like for those about tv series and films? :smiley:

2 Likes

I had a feeling you’d say that, but it doesn’t feel half as useful as understanding half of what’s going on.

It’s a ‘you say tomato’ thing - I’d say ‘adra’, he’d say ‘adre’. But as you point out, the correct form is ‘adref’, but people in Caernarfonshire wouldn’t say the ‘e’.

2 Likes

He might be an urban hipster?!

1 Like

It’s quite a niche subject - vintage cars - so maybe the subject itself makes it a bit trickier to follow?

1 Like

I might be a lot of things but a hipster is not one of them … I hope.

2 Likes

http://sioplewis.cymru/

Here’s the link to the shop website, in case it’s of use. I have a few learners on my hangouts who fancy sending Welsh Christmas cards this year, and this is one place to get a nice selection.

2 Likes

No, I didn’t think you would be, somehow!

2 Likes

I never have conversations about cars (don’t really know what to say), and I use it as little as possible. But always thought that if you have to drive, you’d better do it with style. I think Trystan has good taste. :slight_smile:
This was my first car, that needed to be pushed almost every time to start but looked cool, huh?

6 Likes

Wow! How cool is that!

2 Likes

Sure - I can’t see any reason why not to…:slight_smile:

No, it won’t - starting to succeed always feels better - but when you find the bits where it’s hard again, that’s when it’s time to double down and really go for them - so it would be much more valuable for you to listen to this piece several times, reading the transcript and then translation in between, and start to nail some of the unfamiliar bits which are making feel tougher for you, than for you to decide that this one is hard so you’re going to slide on past…:wink:

Difficult is where the growth is… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah cwl go iawn (?). Looks like an Italian Inocenti Mini.

2 Likes

Ah so the “a” sound is Bangor/Ynys Mon, also in English? I mentioned elswhere that I asked for directions in Bangor, but thought I’d better also get them in English as a back up. Any way, turn laft through me a bit. Not too bad though as it is the same in the Gwent valleys.

1 Like

Yep! innocenti Mini Minor Mk I and now a much admired Queenie of vintage car events, with her new owner (car is feminine in Italian, not in Welsh, I see!).

Innocenti- that produced Lambretta scooters, by the way - only assembled it in Italy. It has a “Morris” tag on the engine and I had bought it from an old lady, that’s why the interview made me think of it! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@beca-brown,

talking about content, one thing I was curious about with Leisa’s interview and now again with Trystan:
is it very common in Wales for teenagers and young people in general to sing in choirs (well I mean voluntarily and enjoying it, of course!) :smiley:

Because I’m understanding that choirs have a very strong tradition in Wales.
And actually there is quite a tradition in Italy too - but it’s mostly children and older people who seem to enjoy them, while in Wales it seems really common among all kind of people and generations! Is it?

2 Likes