Rownd a Rownd

First language Welsh lady from the north that I see sometimes in Wrexham told me that the correct answer to 'wyt ti isio…?" Is “oes/nac oes”. It just is, ok. :wink:

4 Likes

And then there is Tom Ogwen-Jones in Byw Celwydd.

(I used to love Gwaith Cartref, but then it went and changed completely…almost all the old characters gone, and old theme music gone too. (Also, did it use to have Welsh subtitles (on Clic)? Doesn’t now).

Yeah, well, the problem there is that Dani’s real sister was replaced in secret one night (in true “Invasion of the Body Snatchers’” fashion; someone would have left a large pod at the end of her bed). Replacement Britney looks nothing like the real Britney (some alien technician fouled up big time), but everyone is carrying on, pretending nothing has happened. They are probably also alien clones. But sharp-eared SSiW RaR viewers have spotted that she doesn’t even talk like the real Britney.

Where will it all end? (Well, maybe a pod for Dani might not be a bad idea at this distressing time …).

:wink:

2 Likes

O bois bach - I hadn’t thought of that. Yes, sure to be. It was the most unlikely and unbelievable one-night-stand in history I reckon. And wouldn’t Iolo have noticed the empty bottles when he came home, and got suspicious…not to mention noises coming from Llio’s boudoir…?

Yes, so the two sisters will both have babis. Never mind…plenty of room in Vince’s old house, we gather.

Meanwhile, that randy rogue Sion will be well out of the way, back in Spain, impregnating unlucky Spanish ladies on the Costa Copulato … :wink:

In case anyone else would like to have a look at the set:

Or you could start at https://map.what3words.com/firepower.quote.ritual .

Vince+Cathryn, Arthur+Glenda, and I believe Meical+Michelle live in terraced houses next to the “Utopia” place near https://map.what3words.com/harps.postage.proved . (Vince’s is the light house with the black door, Arthur’s is the darker one to the left of it.)

And David and Dani are at https://map.what3words.com/stockpile.stylist.simple – a little bit back from the street that the Street View car went down, at the beginning of a cul-de-sac that’s not marked on Google Maps but that OpenStreetMap calls Menai Quay. It’s the yellow right-side half of the yellow and pink duplex at the beginning.

I was reasonably sure about those last two locations but watching the recent episodes after coming back and comparing with street view confirmed both of them.

I’m still curious where the garage is and where John and Sian live.

1 Like

Is that a type of coffee.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

He’s just on the gay side of bisexual, not trans!!

Yes, this is the explanation.

Eisiau (isio) should really be used as a something that isn’t a verb, and take the form “Oes eisiau cwpan arnat ti” (Is there a want / need for a cup on you), but in the south we use moyn, and eisiau = a need, and in the north, they tend to use isio as a sort of verb, though it shows itself up by not following ver rules with yn etc.

However (that explanation having been more confusing than enlightening),. this leads to odd patterns in answering, like “Wyt ti isio oren?” “Oes”. Its part of what makes a second language so much more interesting.

BTW, rememeber that want / need are classed as temporary things, like certain illnesses, so they are “on you” in Welsh, rather than “with you” - “Mae isie rhywbeth arna’i”.

4 Likes

So badness - sorrow is permanent? Mae’n ddrwg gen i or 'da fi!

1 Like

The post of mine about Llio being pregnant was based on her erratic behaviour and attitude. Hormones, I thought. It predates the Sion episode!

2 Likes

O reit! So there could be another questionable paternity theme coming up soon then.

Dim ots. Just means that RaR is very “green” - every thing is recycled, including plotlines. :slight_smile:

I can see Iolo challenging Sion to a “Hearty outdoorsman” duel: “Zipwires at dawn!”. :wink:

Da iawn ti for the great detective work.

I’m also curious about the house that Iolo (and Llio, well sort of) live in. We know it’s owned by Philip, and I assumed it wasn’t far from the shop.

But one funny thing: we know that Sian and Llio used to be next door neighbours because we once saw them get the milk in, leading to an embarrassing meeting (because they have “history” - rivalry over Matthew, basically - recent viewers: this is all several affairs ago!).

But that doesn’t appear to be where Sian lives now. Now we know that John only recently moved into the house he shares with his kids, and that is opposite Sian’s, but did Sian move as well?
(Because I don’t think it’s meant to be near to/next to Iolo/Llio’s house).

(Or did Sian move out of her old house to get away from the painful memories of Nel’s death, and now that Alwyn wasn’t around any more…? (I did miss quite a few episodes at one time).

Yes, I think you have nailed them. David’s house is nearer to the main “set” than I would have guessed. I had also always imagined it to be nearer the waterside. (Maybe some clever camera work usually gives that impression).

I don’t actually remember him moving, but David and his Dad, Ron, used to live in a completely different house (which Meical managed to find by some detective work, when Ron (also Meical’s father) first turned up on the scene). I did once get a clue about it, when we saw a nearby bus stop with some route information on it, but I didn’t really tie it down, and I’ve forgotten where it was now. :slight_smile:

I got the impression it might have been on the same housing development as where Matthew’s gambling counsellor lived (whom we saw in a few episodes) , but I might have been mistaken.

I got the first clue to David’s house when Rhys left him once and you could see the Liverpool Arms in the background.

The cameras do seem to be doing something interesting as often the background appears a lot closer than it actually is.

As another example, once Rhys and David bumped into each other on Hill Street near the corner with Dale Street, and the shop on the corner of Water Street and Stryd y Bont seemed to be just behind him even though there’s the whole square between them.

1 Like

I hate it when scriptwriters won’t let folk have a nice comfy time for a while! Oh, all right, naughty Barry shouldn’t send false Pizzas and naughty Ken shouldn’t get involved, but couldn’t the baban bach be allowed to grow up a bit before prison started to loom for his Dad? And it was the scriptwriters who came up with the idea of Barry doing these things while his baban was still so small!

But I have to say, in slight mitigation for RaR, it seems that the police are such a permanent fixture in Pobol y Cwm at the moment that maybe it needs renaming Heddlu y Cwm.
Yes, I agree though, a few episodes of calmness, marital harmony, (and maybe a few more trips to go crabbing) would be good to lull us into a false sense of security before…(que end credits music!)

1 Like

Spoiler 14th February 2017

Quite funny in a way, that it’s become Carys (formerly the wayward one) who has become part of a staid couple, and a caring Mam, and it’s Llio, formerly the “boring” teacher, who has become the little raver …
:wink:

2 Likes

Is biti used in SSiW–South for “about” as in “for about a month”?

I think I saw @Iestyn use the word in the forum at some point, but I’m not sure whether it’s taught there.

I can’t find it in Gweiadur, but I heard it on Rownd a Rownd the other day where Carys invited Llio for dinner, saying biti chwech?

Though I confess I only caught it with the subtitles – before, I thought she was saying, Be’, ti chwech? “What, are you six [years old that you have to ask permission before accepting an invitation for dinner]?”

But when I saw the word in writing I thought I had seen it around SSiW :slight_smile: And was glad for that since I couldn’t find it in the dictionary.

2 Likes

It is in the SSiW souther, “am biti mis” about a month" not sure of spelling! @Iestyn?

3 Likes

Diolch @henddraig!