Rownd a Rownd

Yes, but I have only met part exchange at main dealers. I didn’t know the sort of one-man-band with a few cars on a forecourt did them. and I’ve never met the sort of arrangement John seems to have, which means swip-swopping ‘you have this car in exchange for £x and your old car, which I then pass on to Y for £x-z and his old car!’ Is all that on-line? Would it be e-bay? I have never dared use that!

1 Like

Diolch, Philip!

Nor I. Funny how we were just talking about John’s job and then it popped up on last night’s episode!

Interesting question about the ultrasound… :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting. I didn’t catch that. I need to re-watch with subtitles. If so, I’d think it’s only one of his business interests, although it is sort of consistent with his owning a garage. Perhaps he’s always been around cars in one way or another.

But as I say, he did use to have something to do with a gym. Siân and (I think) Alwenna used to go there, and John always seemed to be around there, and of course, he was all over Siân, trying to get her to take an interest in him, but it didn’t seem to be working at that point. He wasn’t just a customer at the gym, and he wasn’t a fitness coach or whatever (I mean, does John look like a fitness coach…? :wink: ).

1 Like

When was this? I don’t remember it!

Not sure exactly, but it was while Alwenna was still in the programme, and before John and Siân became a proper “item”. 2-3 years ago? We might have only seen them at the gym a couple of times or so, but it was enough to establish a pattern (in my mind, anyway).

(Spoilers for 30 Jan 2018)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

I didn’t think she’d be stupid enough to try it. (Greedy or crooked enough, perhaps.)

I wonder how this story line will pan out.

(And over how many episodes they will stretch this one.)

Good on John, though! I hope this spell lasts for more than an episode.

1 Like

Now did she reach her present age and believeit is OK to steal? And not just steal but from someone who has welcomed you into their home?

Now that I’m watching the episode again with Welsh subtitles, I got the joke that Dylan told in the staff room:

• Pam bod y bacwn a’r wy ddim yn siarad?
  • Am eu bod nhw wedi ffrio!

And I laughed :slight_smile:

It’s always a nice little pat on the back when you get humour, especially wordplay.

(Explanation of the pun)

(For those who didn’t get the pun: ffraeo “to quarrel, to squabble” often sounds like ffrio “to fry”, i.e. the bacon and egg had weren’t speaking because they had been fried / because they had argued.)

1 Like

Truan Will! (Poor Will!) in his place I’d end up doing serious harm to my sister! He is greatly to be pitied! Oh, I learned ‘poor= truan = unfortunate’ from @garethrking’s excellent dictionary! I suppose I should say Will truan?
And Lowri, poor in the other sense, tlawd, now will end up borrowing £250 and in deeper debt!

2 Likes

And will that be the last problem she has with Robbie? I highly doubt it!

As Mathew said, “detention doesn’t seem to have worked”.

I doubt anything anyone says or does is going to make a big impression on them now.

Leading to even more headaches for the parents in the future. Lowri druan!

Actually you would say Will druan, even though Will is masculine - adjectives used as epithets take soft mutation regardless of gender. :slight_smile: Same with epithets for kings: Hywel Dda = Hywel the Good, Llywelyn Fawr = Llywelyn the Great, Gwilym Dwp = William the Stupid.

Or you can say Truan/ Druan o Will.

5 Likes

While you are in this thread @garethrking :slight_smile: may I ask you kindly if you would explain the grammar of the last part of the joke:

Pam bod y bacwn a’r wy ddim yn siarad?
Am eu bod nhw wedi ffrio!

(I do get the joke, honest. :slight_smile: But I’m not familiar with that construction “am eu (bod)”.

Diolch yn fawr o flaen llaw! :slight_smile:

Speaking of Wil and harm - I hope Barry won’t rearrange Wil’s face before even giving him a chance to speak!

(Also, when Michelle dumped a bunch of biscuits into a napkin for her supper, is that stealing? Even if the food would have been thrown away anyway?)

It’s very bad for her health, never mind her peace of mind! Biscuits for supper! Naughty S4C! Encouraging habits leading to obesity and diabetes!
I am dreading the little crumpled heap that Barry may have reduced Will to. And who is ro say even that would get Erin to admit what she did?
To @garethrking Diolch yn fawr! I should have known that! Especially because of the Princes! I am sure I have queried Llywelyn and probably Hywel, and been told about that mutation! And with history a hobby I have to admit to a need to look up Stupid Gwil!!

1 Like

am eu bod nhw = am bod nhw (just a bit more formal)

am as a conjunction (i.e. not a preposition) = because/since, and like many conjunctions, it is followed by a ‘that…’ clause (e.g. bod nhw…) :slight_smile:

Grammar para 504ish, I think

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Gareth! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Leading young lads astray should be a criminal offence!

As for the well signalled last part, well it was hardly a surprise!

1 Like

Beth sy’n bod gyda Barri? Well before that, something eas on tv about exercise being addictibe because it releases something, endorfins maybe, into the brain. So poor Rhys is in trouble and Michelle is an idiot!

1 Like

Indeed! For all her talk in the previous episode about “that’s how you get customers”, banging on doors is not really the way to leave an impression.

I wonder what it was that led the office manager to give them the sack? The biscuits? The cash payment? The quality of their work?

Also, I’m feeling really sorry for Lowri.

When will John notice that Rhys is seriously hurt and addicted to fast running? Poor dab needs medical help!

1 Like