[SOLD OUT] SSiW's BIG 10th Birthday Party

ardderchog! :smiley:

2 Likes

So how is everyone doing?

Three weeks and three days to go until the big weekend!!!

This week I shall be arranging another meeting with the organising team. Finalising decisions about table decorations. Finalising the menu. Getting the order and flow of Saturday evening in to shape and ignoring the housework… :laughing:

Oh, and I think I’m more or less finished with decking out my family… :rofl:

5 Likes

Ticket balance is paid, hotel is booked and the dogs are booked into kennels for the weekend. Just need to sort out what I’m wearing now… looking forward to it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Seems my balance is zero, and won’t allow me to add on!
I’ll have to get you a pint in the Black Boy!

2 Likes

My youngest Emma and myself will as lap be staying there now as Linda can’t make it so changed accommodation.

2 Likes

If you have any special dietary requirements then please visit the following thread to let us know. Diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tair wythnos i fory!!! / Three weeks tomorrow!!! :man_dancing: :champagne: :partying_face:

giphy

6 Likes

Gentlemen—your advice please—are you all planning to wear jackets and ties, or are any of you dispensing with the jackets? Tell you why I ask…

Since we are flying in from Vancouver and travelling light, Andrew has been wondering how to pack a tux or smart jacket in his rucksack for our week’s hiking in Snowdonia beforehand. He could wear a smart shirt, and ties take no room!

As for me, a little black number will fold up to nothing—no problemo!

Years ago when we were sailing in a ‘West Coast Classic—the Swiftsure’ our skipper impressed on us we should not take one ounce more than necessary, BUT there would be a formal cocktail party on the lawn of the Royal Victoria Yacht Club the evening before the race. I had this minuscule super-light black dress with spaghetti straps (little more than a glorified belt really), but no shoes—only my yellow wellies. All these posh types would engage in ‘polite conversation’ then look down, some inquiring meaningfully ‘racing tomorrow are we?’ I will try to behave, and look smart—will even scrub my hiking boots if necessary!

Truly—please let me know whether Andrew should pack a jacket and tie. He does not want to look out of place.

Diolch yn fawr,
Mari

2 Likes

My suggestion would be not to pack a jacket. My husband won’t be wearing one (tho he will be wearing nice clothes) so Andrew will have at least one other fellow similarly dressed.

2 Likes

Thank you Sionned—that could lighten the load!

Cheers,
Mari

1 Like

I hope I don’t upset @CatrinLliarJones by saying this because I know she would love a full on ball gown and tux event but smart casual is the way I’m heading and I know a couple of the other guys won’t be wearing jackets either.

(I’m hoping that someone says they’ll be wearing jeans to be honest … :wink: )

4 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Andrew is really very smart, but it makes a big difference not having to carry more than necessary when we are schlepping gear around airports and train stations—especially when we are going hiking too, so have boots and cags and packs and poles…

I am just so excited at the prospect of meeting you all and really looking forward to the magical weekend—naturally we want to honour the great organizers and spirit if it being really special. Full ball gown? Not quite, but coordinated woolly socks with my frock and pearls :joy:

Hwyl,
Mari

3 Likes

I’ll be wearing jeans

4 Likes

I know. :grinning: I’m 95% sure I will be too. I want to kind of match with what my wife is going to wear and it works best with jeans. It actually works best without a tie also, so we’ll see.

4 Likes

I don’t even own a tie or a formal jacket. My idea of smart is wearing a shirt instead of a T-shirt. :laughing:

4 Likes

Bore da wonderful party goers!

Just a quick bit of enlightenment with regards to clothes.

Is is true that this will be the poshest SSiW party we’ve ever had, after all it is the big 10! It is also true that I will look for any opportunity to wear a posh frock and sparkly shoes. But it is also true that SSiW has always been friendly, welcoming, all inclusive and accommodating - a place where every one can be themselves.

We decided not to opt for a strict evening dress/tux function as we knew that this would make many feel uncomfortable and incur unnecessary costs for guests.

Therefore our dress ‘guide’ is smart, but come in whatever makes you feel comfortable and helps you to enjoy the evening.

Aran and Beuno will be in a shirt and tie, waistcoat and jacket - which means they’ll spend much of the evening in shirt, tie and waistcoat. Angharad and I will be in evening gowns. My mother will be in a sparkly top and trousers ensemble and my father in a suit and bow tie.

To give you an idea of the venue - we are hiring the theatre at the Galeri. The room will be fully draped and professionally lit with their starry backdrop. It will be set up in a banquet style and the tables will be decorated - hopefully giving a sense of occasion and luxury and making our guests feel special.

Our aim is for the whole evening to be memorable, for it to feel like a momentous occasion and have a sense of sparkle. We want each and every guests to really enjoy themselves, to feel relaxed and to have fun amongst friends.

I hope this helps.

9 Likes

But it’s still OK for me to wear dinner suit and bow tie, right? :worried:
I don’t want to stand out like a rather magnicent sore thumb. :smile:

8 Likes

Well since I don’t own any sparkly comfy joggers or sweatshirts, I guess I’d better stick with the long frock and a particularly-sparkly headband :joy:

3 Likes

I’m looking forward very much to a selfie with you in your dinner suit and me in my sparkly frock. :grin:

4 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you in your gladrags, Siaron! :heart:

1 Like