SSiW iOS app just updated

OK, so I’m pretty useless with iOS devices. How do I tell it to update? Or do I have to uninstall it and reinstall a new version?

EDIT: I decided to try deleting it and Testflight and installing the latest version from App Store, but it’s still doing the same thing - behaving just like before, turning off when the screen goes dark, but with the timer not moving along properly when it is playing. If I click on pause, the first click makes the timer jump to where it should be, then another click is needed to actually get it to pause.

So the thing to do is re-install TestFlight, and then re-install the beta… sorry! Give me a shout when you’ve done that and let me know how it’s behaving.

1 Like

I’ve done that, and allowed it to replace the version I already had installed of the SSiW app.

The first thing that happened was that it popped up showing me the page to subscribe for Premium Content. I checked in Settings and I was logged in as me, so not sure why I saw that. I saw it once yesterday as well, when I had the normal version installed.

I went to Level 2 Challenge 25 and it downloaded straight away. When I started it playing, the timer bar moved along slowly as it should. I allowed it to play until the screen went dark, and yay, the voices continued on. I clicked on the home button and it carried on smoothly as if it hadn’t gone dark at all.

I then tested Level 3 Challenge 2 where I was having problems yesterday, just to be extra sure, and that worked fine as well.

3 Likes

Hi @Deborah-SSi

If the lesson the App happens to be pointing at when you start it up isn’t downloaded, I have found you can get the Premium content message…and in this situation, if you download the lesson (or change the lesson the App is pointing at to one which is downloaded) I have found the problem goes away.

I have let @lewie know about this one…it doesn’t happen every time so there is some sort of an electronic foot race going on…,between streaming the lesson and a check on subscription status (my theory).

If that wasn’t the situation in your case it would be interesting to know in case there is something else going on.

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

That does sound like what I found as well - diolch.

2 Likes

It’s a good theory, but there’s no footrace, as you cleverly put it, since there’s no separate check to see whether you are subscribed. The app just asks for access to a given audio file, and it’s either granted or it’s not. If it’s not granted, and the error message indicated an authorization problem, then it pops up the Premium content message.

Unfortunately, I’ve not so far been able to reliably reproduce the problem (well, at all, actually), so don’t yet have a good idea what the problem is. With any luck, I’ll have more time to spend on it soon.

1 Like

Hi @lewie

I hope things are good with you. What you say is very interesting - I will reply by pm.

1 Like

I’m having problems with the iOS app if anyone can help. It won’t play the challenges or if it does it plays for a few minutes then won’t start again. I’ve reinstalled it but it’s still the same. Thanks.

What challenges are you working on? This will just help narrow it down if the problem is with the audio files

1 Like

I’m working on 10 and 11 level 1 .

Diolch! Hugely helpful. I tested some other challenges and didn’t see any issue, but those two indeed are behaving oddly. I haven’t gotten 10 to do anything, and 11, well it said it was ready to play, so I hit play and nothing happened… so I set down my phone to tend to a bunch of other things that came up, and after about 5 minutes, the challenge started playing! I wonder if it’s a network issue of some sort … will investigate.

3 Likes

I have a problem with the App on my iPhone. When I play Challenge 1 it shows up as being 5:49 long. It carries on after that and plays the full Challenge. However, if I stop it after 5:49 it won’t start playing again. I’ve tried this with Challenge 2 which shows up as 5:18 and has the same issue. I also have the app on my iPad and it works fine and shows the proper lengths of the Challenges. It’s a small issue as I can use my computer and iPad to do most of the stuff but it is handy sometimes to catch up when I’ve only got my phone with me. (I’m using an iPhone 11 with iOS 13.4)

I’ve got the same problem using the IOS app. The challenge can take ages to play and sometimes a challenge will show as lasting just a couple of seconds and all I hear is the introductory music! Can’t proceed. I use an iPhone 8.

I’ve deleted the app , reinstalled and no change.

Screenshot sent to admin by @peterbrooks:

I believe that whilst it doesn’t change the incorrect display of the duration this suggestion does allow the challenge to be played but let us know either way - click here

So sorry, folks. I’ll be getting a new release out that will fix this problem soon. In the meantime, if you are having troubles with a lesson, please follow Rich’s advice at the link just above.

Looking forward to the new release to fix the problems. Another problem currently is even if I can get the challenge to play the >> and << don’t allow the challenge to wind back or forward.

Ok, I’ve got a new beta test that re-introduces the old behavior of downloading audio files as the default. There’s a new option on the Settings tab to enable streaming if you like (it’s off by default). While you are there, you might want to flick on “Auto Play after Download” - it gives you an experience pretty close to streaming.

If you are having troubles with the streaming, please try the beta - or just continue manually downloading files for a bit. I’ll try to get this version released very soon if all goes well.

Here’s the link if you wish to try the beta:

I am having exactly the same issues with challenges only showing up as being a few minutes long.