SSiW[sold out]Party in Caernarfon - 29/04/17 (follow for info + activities)

You have no idea how excited that makes me! I’m very unlikely to be able to come to Bootcamp in Wales, but Bootcamp and a party here would be fantastic beyond belief! :slight_smile:

1 Like

On top of the Lingo Newydd mags (24 issues, 4 years’ worth) I’ve got the first 3 issues of Mellten, the Welsh comic, for whoever wants them.

1 Like

Is it worth me bringing duplicates of Lingo Newydd?

4 Likes

I suspect there are a lot of people who have never seen it Huw, it is such a good magazine and a great entry into the world of reading I would say yes, definitely.

4 Likes

Thanks, Geraint - will do.

2 Likes

OK, here’s my plan for the Saturday for anyone who is interested in stretching the weekend out a little.

Meet outside The Black Boy pub in Caernarfon at 2.30pm have a pint or a coffee, chat and get to know each other. Weather permitting, take a leisurely walk down around the Castle walls and along the Menai (interesting viewpoints and photo opportunities). Possible stop at the Anglesey pub for another panad? Walk round castle walls and down past the harbour. Walk up to the Maes in Caernarfon (more photo ops). Visit the ice cream parlour at the top of Palace Street. Walk down Palace Street and visit the Welsh book shop, Palas Print - here’s also a Welsh hand made chocolates shop on this street which is worth visiting.

We can then walk back down Palace Street and back in the direction of Doc Victoria where the Galeri and Premier Inn are, and part company until the evening, as I will have to come home to change! :wink:

Does this sound like a workable plan?

I’ll let you know if I have any ideas for the Sunday! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Sounds good to me, Catrin. If your plans firm up, I’ll take the earlier T2 “Greyhound” from Aber which gets in to Caernarfon Bus Station at 12:53. Otherwise, I’ll catch the one that gets in at 16:50.

2 Likes

you missed off ‘and buy a copy of my book’.

I’ll be a definitely maybe for this

3 Likes

Go for the earlier one of you fancy it, I’ll be there early to mid afternoon to book into the hotel.

3 Likes

I reckon our little group of “dim-bwtcampers” (there are a few of of us staying on Pen Llyn from Weds-Weds in our own unofficial “mini bootcamp” and coming to the party) will be around from early afternoon, looking for sgwrs Cymraeg too. Would be great to meet up with anyone who is coming along earlier than the evening.

5 Likes

My mother-in-law has booked a lovely holiday for the week of the party so has left us with no babysitter :cry:. My wife, the amazing woman that she is, has insisted that I still attend the party while she stays at home for the weekend. So, as I will be alone, prepare to be blagged. :wink:

2 Likes

Probably won’t make the afternoon meet up, so will be meeting everyone for the first time in the evening (although I have stumbled my way through a few chats with Catrin, so I will know someone!) Looking forward to meeting you all. Please be kind to me. I’m hopeless when I’m nervous (Catrin will vouch for that) and I will be very self-conscious in the presence of so many seasoned SSIers.

1 Like

If I manage to get off work early then I will try get to The Black Boy at 2:30pm for a panad but reckon it’s more unlikely I will get an early finish than likely

Don’t worry @franhunni I will be just as nervous as you are :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great! See you there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooooooooooh, 16 days to go!!!

Here’s some updated and more detailed info on the party.

See this above message for information regarding our post party Saturday afternoon meet up.

See this message for some fabulous parking info from @siaronjames !

The party will begin at 7pm at the Galeri in Caernarfon. As you walk in you will find the public bar - a great place to relax, meet and greet. The party itself will be in Stiwdio1, down the corridor to the left of the bar and through a door on the right (not difficult to find).

Stiwdio1 will be arranged with round tables - please sit where you wish, there are no formal seating arrangements. Wine lists will be available on the tables and the bar will be open all evening.

@gruntius has very kindly volunteered to make name tags for all guests. So please look out for the smart gentleman with the impressive beard to get your name tag soon after you arrive.

The hot and cold buffet will be served at 7.30 followed by birthday cake and Prosecco toast about 8.30 - 9pm. This will be followed by tea and coffee.

Our special guests for the evening will be Meinir Gwilym and her partner Bryn, Nia Parri and with the exciting addition of Manon Steffan Ros! I’m sure that if you have any Meinir Gwilym CDs or Manon Steffan Ros books that they will be happy to sign them for you - as long as it doesn’t take up all of their evening. :wink:

There will be a book exchange table in Stiwdio1, see this message for more info.

There will also be a photo corner filled with interesting and silly Welsh themed props. We encourage you to indulge us by taking several amusing photos and selfies with the props and posting them on Twitter with the hashtag #PartiSSiW17. :joy:

Please feel free to tweet and use the hashtag #PartiSSiW17 at any time during your weekend - it will be interesting to read them back and it’s a great way to involve those who can’t be there for any reason.

Also, we will have prepared a lovely free raffle hamper. All guests names will be put in a basket and the winner will be drawn later in the evening.

As we have done in the past there will be an informal and fun awards ceremony.

We encourage guests, should they feel inclined, to move from table to table to get to know other learners.

In the past we have had open mike sessions and have encouraged learners to contribute in any way they want. We are not doing this in any formal way this year. But there will be a mike and if you wish to contribute anything at all to the evening, please get in touch with me by PM and we can discuss further.

I haven’t yet made any formal plans for the Sunday - I’m still thinking about it. But if you are around on the Sunday and would like to extend the weekend a little then put your hand up so we can see how many people are interested.

Diolch yn fawr iawn!

If you have any further questions then please let me know. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:177, topic:6163”]
smart gentleman with the impressive beard
[/quote]I prefer impressive gentleman with the smart beard but comme ci, comme ça. :joy:

I was thinking of just having some sticky labels and a marker pen and scrawling the names on as we go, nothing special. I’m thinking of colour coding the labels for Welsh speakers and non-Welsh speakers so we all know at a glance whether to try out a “ti’n iawn” or not. :blush:

I’m really crap with names so it will help me out more than most I would think.

3 Likes

“Impressive gentleman with impressive beard”, I’d say :smile:
Would you be offended if I brought my left-over Eisteddfod badge? I met some very interesting people wearing it. :smile:

3 Likes

Brilliant idea, but I also want you to wear one of mine on your forehead. It’s ok though, it’ll probably be hidden by your tie by the end of the evening. :joy:

Ooh, by the way, it looks like I kicked off the #partiSSiW17 on twitter this afternoon. :blush:

3 Likes

As well as the Lingo Newydd issues to supplement Geraint’s I shall bring a couple of Cartoon based Welsh learning booklets by a very 70s Heini Gruffudd (“Welsh is Fun” and “Welsh is Fun-tastic”) Politically correct they are NOT :blush:

If anyone expresses an interest here, I’d also bring a small (14cm x 10 cm) Bibl Cyssegr-Lan Darluniadol. Its tooled leather binding is in poor condition and the printing requires good eyesight but the illustrations are fine and there are maps of the “Holy Land” at the end. I can’t see a date but I know from its family origins that it must be getting on for a century old. (In case you are wondering, I have a duplicate from the other side of the family).

Even though I’m an atheist, I’d want it to go to someone who would value it for its original purpose.

3 Likes

I’m preparing for the party on and off today and tomorrow, getting decorations ready, baking the cake (total of 3 baking disasters so far) and checking and re checking lists. Looking forward very much to seeing you all, raising a glass and chilling out a little. Here’s a sneak peek of what’s going on…

3 Likes