Tatjana - progress reports

But no no no you’re not! You’re having a very similar experience to everyone else, you just judge yourself more harshly. So I’ll say it again - you’re doing superbly. Forgetting is a vital part of learning, anyway… :sunny:

You’re in a very good company of William Shakespeare and Vladimir Mayakovski, who weren’t ashamed of inventing new words at all:)

3 Likes

Wooo, @stella, tihis is but too big honor … Thank you.

I hope all can understand what I want to say anyway. :smiley:

1 Like

Well, the guilt is mine. I didn’t repeat Course 2 Lesson 24/25 and Course 3 Lesson 24/25 two days ago as instructed but I am slowly repeating them now. I thought I’d do them all and then report back but to my very unpleasant surprise my confidence strucked back to me in whole pace and power. Finishing Course 2 Lesson 24 just a minute ago prooved me I’m not even a bit closer of being (real) Cymraeg speaker.

Percentage? 7 % people! 7 % only and to be more precise from 120 phrases you need to say only 8 I did right and even those were not right in total.

Owowow, this is not what I had expected from this revision, really. After all those conversations i had I expected my revision should be at least somewhere about 20 % or so and not only 7.

But, let’s compare those things. When I first did Lesson 24 of course 2 I’ve made it for 1 % better what means 8 %, when I did the first revision it was as it is now, what means 7 % and when doing 2nd revision it was 8 % again. so I somehow can establish I’m stepping on the post I stend, not going further nor back too much.

I’m not frustrated about this (not yet) but I am disappointed though, realizing now even more then any time before I actually am using even this little I rememberd from Course 2 and Course 3 totally different way and am actually not doing myself a favour with speaking though. Now I more then ever ralize my speach is way limited and simple and (now I believe this) more often then not actually totally wrong … but I’m not sure I hold that much knowledge in my poor brains to go any further then talking simple and pure with no shortenings and too much advanced stuff. As always half of words are totally strange to me and they appear like I never would hear them at all. No, it’s not moaning or complaining, but just pondering thoughts … And I know, no one is guilty for that but me …

Well, I just wonder will I ever be able to do those Lessons more then approximately 10 %? or to put it in more practical way … would I ever remember that much to use all those (for me) way too complicated structures presented in Course 2 and 3. Even more alarmant fact is that in Level 1 one learns a lot of things we could learn in Course 2 and 3 so I should do beter thant that since I’ve repeated Lessons 24 and 25 with time gaps inbetween already for several times.

Ummm, well, Lesson 25 of Course 2 for me tomorrow. Yes only Lesson 25 because, to be honest, I’m not in the intensive mood just right now …

dan ni’n medru siarad am gwrs hyn mis nesaf (du a gog) :smiley:

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Which matters more to you, Tatjana? Being a Welsh speaker, or getting high marks on all the lessons?

So all the conversations you’ve had in Welsh don’t prove that you’re a Welsh speaker, because your results on one of the most difficult lessons haven’t improved as much as you wanted?!

You need to see the difference between playing/winning a word game, and being a Welsh speaker… :sunny:

2 Likes

Well, it’s actually not about the marks but the fact that I just forgot all those words, structures …In all conversations I had I don’t remember I’d ever try to remember to use them, just as they wouldn’t be there, just as that I wouldn’t learn them

Well, but I tend to alter these repeatings a but. I’ll do all lessons 24/25 Southern to disposal, even that from Course 1 - well this will be next periode I am about to do so.

Of course being Welsh speaker! Well, @aran don’t worry, this is not moaning kind I had before, this is just pure pondering my thoughts. I’d really like to grasp those structures which are, you admit yourself, really tough and that’s all, but I’m obviously not as good in real practicing as I am in pure speaking … some improvisation and it goes somehow …

I’m actually not even engry upon myself now, I’m just, let’s say a bit disappointed upon myself but … yah, I won’t stop here, why should I though?

1 Like

Did you get that book ‘Mindset’ yet?

I’d like to encourage you to see this in a different way - instead of presuming that YOU are ‘not as good’ at one part of the journey (and immediately taking it for granted that other people are better than you), why not consider the possibility (actually, it’s a probability!) that the drilling in the exercises is much harder than having a real conversation, so that we can build your linguistic muscles up as much as possible until having a conversation becomes easy…?

That’s what’s actually going on, and that’s why the system still works even when people are only getting about 10% of the phrases ‘right’.

Finish this revisit, and then forget about them, and come backto them in another two months… :sunny:

2 Likes

Yes, @aran, I did, but to be honest, I didn’t start to read it yet. For quite some time now reading long texts isn’t quite my specialty. My eyes get tired quickly. I might intsall a reader to my tablet or get me an audiobook if it exists though.

Yes … drilling in the exercises is much harder … This is exactly what I felt yesterday … Well, it was rather quick but I already have thrown “the load” off my shoulders. :slight_smile:

So it shall be …

1 Like

It was lovely to chat. You were perfectly understandable. Pat yourself on the back. You deserve it!

4 Likes

My hands are too short for that… - hehe :slight_smile:

On the sirious note: Diolch yn fawr iawn Elizabeth. It was lovely to chat with you too. I understood you perfectly and even background noise didn’t disturb our conversation what concerns me. :slight_smile:

EDIT
Well, I didn’t ask yet … anyone for skype practice this week?

1 Like

Nos Wener, chwech o’r gloch, am bedwar deg munud?

Dw i’n mynd i’r sinema i weld Spectre, y ffilm James Bond diweddaraf.

Hwyl,

Margaret

2 Likes

Chwech o’r gloch dy amser di? Ma hi’n iawn gyda fi.

Fy amser fi.

Gwych! Nos Wener, Chwech o’r gloch dy amser di wedyn.

Didn’t ask yet … anybody for Skype this week? 7-8 pm my time or 9-10 my time?

I finally finished what @aran suggested - C2L24/25 and C3/L24/25

So, since I’ll sound as a parrot, only statistics here and comparrison.

This time it want like this:

• C2L24 = 7 %
  • C2L25 = 19 %
  • C3L24 = 8 %
  • C3L25 = 2 %

If you remember the first time I’ve done them it was

• C2L24 = 8 %
  • C2L25 = 12 %
  • C3L24 = 8 %
  • c3L25 = 4 %

I’ve done C2L24/25 twice more and the results were

• C2L24 = 7 % for the first time and 8 % for the second time
  • C2L25 = 12 % for the first time and 10 % for the second

The rest you know written at the beginning of this post.

I’ll just add that when I did all those lessons now again it was like I’d do them for the first time. I didn’t remember almost nothing and it didn’t seam like I’d go trhough this or learn any of those structures any time before. As you’d see I’ve even stagnated with C3L25 if only for 2 % but all is a bit too low percentage no matter being it 4 or 2, all the same.

Overall “impression” of the last repeating of all 4 lessons is 9 %

And that’s it …

Going back to new lessons of Level 2 now but I have impression I don’t actually remember what I’ve learnt before.

@tatjana, from what I’ve read around the forum you CAN speak Cymraeg, certainly much better than myself.

I wouldn’t worry about the percentages at all. I don’t know what my percentages are or worry about them. I just move on when, after a lesson I can sit back and go ‘‘Yeah, that was good’’.

1 Like

Well, I actually don’t worry and care so much about the percentage then the fact that I don’t remember any of those forms I’ve repeated in those 4 lessons even if I’ve actually learnt them. They’re always new to me whichever time I come across them. I also don’t use them in my speach as I rearly (or even never) remember them.

To be honest, my spoken Cymraeg is prety simple as if I would still be a beginner …

But, yah, that was just a pure report of my (un)success rather then any moaning or something like that.

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

Tatjana, get something to drink and CELEBRATE - that is a HUGE jump for one of the most difficult sessions at all.

Don’t worry at all about C3L25 - all the different short forms in there will keep on tripping up your % measuring - but every time you go through it, you get more exposure, and will find them easier to understand when other people use them - which is the aim.

But anyone who can get 20% on C2L25 is a functioning Welsh speaker and no mistake… :sunny:

1 Like