The 'Please add me to the SSiW map' thread šŸ—ŗ

Bore da @Sionned . Please can you add me to the SSIW learners map?

I live in Bodicote, UK (OX15).

Diolch yn fawr

Helen :smiley:

4 Likes

Croeso, Welcome, Helen to the Forum! Any problems, put a question in one of the threads and someone will try to answer! Have a look at FAQ, if you havenā€™t already. ā€˜Tiny questions with quick answersā€™ is useful. Use the search icon (Big letter Q on top line) to see if someone has already dealt with the subject! Everyone wants to help!

1 Like

Diolch @henddraig. Iā€™ve attempted to learn Welsh previously but this year Iā€™m determined to do it! Only completed SSIW challenge 1 of level 1 so far so early days but enjoying it. Iā€™m writing a blog about my ā€˜in pursuit of Welshā€™ journey, hereā€™s the link if anyone wants to follow it:- https://inthepursuitofwelsh.wordpress.com
See you on the forum soon!
Helen

2 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m new here and still figuring out how to use the forums. I havenā€™t figured out how to direct message people, so Iā€™m hoping if I leave my request here to be added to the SSiW map, that will do the trick. (I understand that Sionned is in charge of that - so thank you in advance!) Iā€™m located in Reading, MA, USA (01867) and would love to be on the map. I do see there are a handful of people in Massachusetts, so hopefully this will be a start at connecting with others in the area who are learning. Diolch!

2 Likes

Helo. @brennan if you put the name like that with the @ attached it will alert the person. @Sionned checks this site frquently, so sheā€™d have found your message. I just happened to find it first! Everyone is very helpful. Look down list of threads to see subjects already in discussion. Use the query (big Q on top line) to search for what you want. Or just start a new topic. If the program thinks it exists, itā€™ll tell you, but it isnā€™t always very accurate! Croeso! :sunny: you can put emojis in by entering : and then typing, say, lau which will offer you laughing! :laughing:

2 Likes

I actually receive notifications any time anyone posts in this thread, so just adding a post here is just fine. Iā€™ve added you to the map, @brennan; if you would like me to adjust the location any, just let me know. And if you click on any of the links in your area, youā€™ll get the forum name for the person whose marker it is. Some of those are old ones from the old forum and may not show up here, but if it is a person who has the same name on this forum (or has only ever been on this forum), you can use the search function to look for their profile. Just type in the name in the search bar and if they are still here, their profile will come up. From there, you can private message them, if you like.

Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

I tried this and just got a list of their mailings, not their profile. Did I do something wrong or have things changed? @aran, @Kinetic @tatjana ???

With this:

@Sionned meant you type the forum name into the search bar (magnifying glass) on the forum and not on the map or elswhere.

For example: if you see ā€œtatjanaā€ on the map you go to the forum, type the name into the search bar which appears with clicking on magnifying glass and the software will automatically give you the results while you type. First theyā€™ll be the links to the topics ā€œtatjanaā€ has posted in, leading you to exactly the post search tool found for you and down below the list of topics there will be the list of members with particular name (word) involved giving you some suggestion to who this member might be. If you donā€™t see the right ā€œtatjanaā€ one you click ā€œmoreā€ if there would be more of them (me - haha) and youā€™d get the whole list of members dropping down the search box.

For the screenshot weā€™ll experiment with the name ā€œpeterā€ rather then ā€œtatjanaā€ as I am almost certain only one am here with such name (written with ā€œjaā€ not ā€œiaā€). Iā€™m searching for the name peter and get what Iā€™ve discribed above.

Clicking on ā€œmore topicsā€ throws you to the list of posts whch contain word ā€œpeterā€ in any form. There you can also see who posted the post and except of what it is written in it.

Clicking on the ā€œmore peopleā€ (members) shows you the list of members right down from search toolbar as a list of members. If there are more members found as the window could show, you have to scroll down to see the rest. Clicking on oneā€™s name or icon sends you directly to their profile. The rest you know already I believe.

Oh, yah, but you can get some ā€œmissleadsā€ in the search too, like this one which member is actually McPeters surname and itā€™s written in the text ā€¦ However, more or less you get the handy findings from this list.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

@henddraig, @Sionned, thank you so much for your helpful replies! Hopefully over the next couple of weeks Iā€™ll get a chance to really poke around here and get comfortable with how everything works. (Iā€™m excited to be here, but also realistic in knowing that Iā€™ll be a bit sporadic depending on work and other obligations.)

1 Like

Helo Sioned (and world). Please can you add me to the map? Iā€™m in Newton Abbot, Devon, England. Thanks very much.

2 Likes

Helo @Lloeren this is the best thread for saying ā€˜hiā€™, A load of people like to help if you have any questions! So, Croeso and Hwyl fawr!

1 Like

Hwyl @Sionned Iā€™ve just joined the forum and would like to be added to the map please. Just started level 1 first challenge too! Iā€™m in Leicester LE2 3DP. Diolch

3 Likes

Croeso @Maryol! I guess your picture was taken on hols, or Leicester has changed since I went to Star Trek conventions there! Forum folk are very helpful! After looking round the Forum, if you have unanswered questions, just ask! Someon will answer!

1 Like

Diolch @henddraig The photo was taken on Harlech beach. The town hall square in Leicester sometimes has a pretend beach but canā€™t compete with permanent beaches!

2 Likes

Hi @Sionned. Iā€™ve just joined the forum even though Iā€™ve been learning for almost 18 months. Please could you add me to the map. Im in Flint, North Wales.

4 Likes

Hi there,

Can you please add me to the map. Iā€™m in Winchendon, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant of the Milky Way, Universe 2B.

Diolch,
Dylan

2 Likes

Hello @Sionned

I was previously registered in the following postcode CF39 9AD.

Could I please be moved to SY23 1LZ as Iā€™ve just moved in this week :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Lucky you! More chances to speak welsh everyday! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why oh why is virtually all, if not all, of Ceredigion labelled as in Shrewsbury, England? It is just plain wrong!

1 Like

Because postal codes are for the convenience of the post office in delivering the post, and are not divided up along regional boundaries such as counties, unitary authorities, or countries.

The post office is not saying that Aberystwyth ā€œbelongs toā€ Shrewsbury in any political sense - the SY postal code presumably just indicates that post to Aber is most conveniently processed by some postal building associated with Shrewsbury.

2 Likes