The SSi Growth Club

Brilliant, thank you so much - er, I mean, um, merci beaucoup! :star: :star2:

I certainly think we can prove that! No immediate scientific links to hand, but I think you’re going to find out that the second new conversational language is in many ways easier than the first :sunny:

Gavin, I hugely appreciate your support, and take your point entirely. We can already dig out a ‘donation’ link to Paypal - I’ll fiddle around and try to get a link to it in this thread (although it might end up not happening until we get back from County Durham a week on Monday) :sunny:

Your desire to support what we’re doing has just done exactly that… :thumbsup: :star2:

4 Likes

31 posts were split to a new topic: Other chat from the Growth Club thread

The billing form doesn’t appear on Google Chrome. I had to use internet explorer.

As I already make extensive use of Welsh, Spanish and Dutch, can’t wait to start on new languages and had the brilliance of the SSi method help me countless times I’m more than happy to contribute.

I really believe in what your doing so here’s to a bright future!

3 Likes

That’s odd, I’m seeing it okay in Chrome. @kinetic - could you have a go at figuring out what might have broken it for Ian? :sunny: And Ian - diolch o waelod calon i ti :sunny: :beers:

@JustinandEirwen - shouldn’t be too much longer :fireworks:

I don’t have a subscription of any kind yet, but was planning to do that this week now I’ve finished my travels and have time for Level 2, so would I need to buy both or just the Growth subscription?

I can certainly spare 4 pints a month for such a good cause. (A sign of my recent student status that I still consider everything in terms of how much alcohol you could get for the same price…)

2 Likes

Now that takes me back! I can still remember the first time I realised that as a fully employed person, I no longer had to finish every single pint, because at a pinch I could afford another one some other time…:wink:

I think we’ve said that if you’re in the Growth Club, you get everything - so we stand by that, although it makes me feel a little awkward about the lovely people who were already subscribing. But either way, your support is hugely, hugely valuable and inspirational for us :star: :star2:

Tatjana - no, sorry, we don’t integrate with Paypal on the subscriptions at the moment - we may have to sort that out one day, but they really are a nightmare.

A wee bit late to the party but I’m in. :dollar:

1 Like

It is indeed. I use Chrome in development, so I’d be rather surprised if it didn’t work there :slight_smile: The form isn’t actually strictly a part of our website, it’s generated by some JavaScript provided by our payment provider - @ianblandford, I don’t suppose you have any Chrome plugins which might be disabling/blocking things?

1 Like

Not sure, i have just updated to windows 10, so don’t know if that would make a difference

1 Like

Hapus iawn to join the growth club - just subscribed! The only downside for me (apart from shelling out more money each month, of course) is that I may now just get distracted by SSiSpanish (or potentially other languages to come) when I am really concentrating on Cymraeg :smiley: I have already weakened a few times and managed a whole Spanish challenge whilst hoovering the house. It made the housework go a bit quicker though so I shouldn’t complain.

All the very best @aran with the new ventures and I hope that this growth club initiative gives you the extra backing you need. SaySomethingIn is inspirational and innovative in so many ways and deserves all the support it gets and more.

5 Likes

It was all working fine for me by the time I got to try again (in Chrome btw), so thanks @Kinetic for sorting it out so quickly.

One minor point: the “cancel subscription” button is very large and evident and I wonder if it could easily be hit by mistake. I hope there is a “do you really mean it”? question built in for such eventualities?

And a slightly off-the-wall point: I wonder if you could divert the odd £100 of the growth fund into a premium bond. I know the chances of a big prize are vanishingly small, but at least you never lose your money, and there are 12 chances a month year(!). (It’s an investment, not a gamble…). Well, just a thought… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a confirm dialog before cancellation, don’t worry :smile: Glad it’s working for you now anyway!

1 Like

And, I presume, you can always re-join for that matter … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Certainly can. You can, in fact, reactivate a cancelled subscription without having to re-enter card details, if you want :smile:

2 Likes

Problem solved … (if anyone tend to worry about such things.) :slight_smile: @Kinetic you are a (tech) “law”! :slight_smile:

EDIT
I finally got from babbling stage to doing things one and commited my vow to Growth Club with share of 10 GBP with possibility of “upgrading” in the future … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Four days, and we’re already up to £290 a month in the Growth Club - seriously, I cannot even begin to thank you all enough. By the time we hit 1k, we’ll have L2 Welsh (northern and southern) and Spanish finished and published in a couple of months - or even less, since we can start buying some of Jeff’s time already.

You’ve already made a remarkable difference - and I have no doubt but that we will look back at this and see it as the beginning of a real change of gear for SSi.

:heart:

@gruntius, @jonmcleod, @mikeellwood - diolch, diolch o waelod calon! :heart:

Is there anyone in here I haven’t thanked?!

@ianblandford - yes, all sorts of definite neurological benefits from intense activity like this - I can point you at some good books/articles if you’d like :sunny:

4 Likes

@ianblandford - yes, all sorts of definite neurological benefits from intense activity like this - I can point you at some good books/articles if you’d like

Cheers, that’s be great.

I so wish I could support this venture. Times are hard in Greece at the moment and I don’t have much work, so I am unable to subscribe at present. I hope that the recession will not last forever, though! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I really like SSIW and it has given me hours of entertainment. Have mangaed to change my phone contract to make up the difference for the growth club.
Who needs to chat on the phone when they could be learning welsh? :slight_smile:
(Was quite interested in the brain leakage thing as well!!)

4 Likes

@Millie - thank you so much for even thinking about it! It’s obviously tough and challenging times out there right now, so there’s no way we’d want to add any pressure - your good wishes are more than enough :star: :star2:

@jenny_white_378 - wow - I’m pretty much speechless that you would go to the trouble of cutting other costs to be able to support SSi - I can’t begin to say how inspirational that is. Diolch o waelod calon.

We’re up to £350 a month now, which is already a gear change for us - I’ll have another round of making sure everyone’s heard about it once the kids are back at school, and then it’ll be full speed ahead with mastering audio files and getting a Kickstarter campaign together :sunny: :sunny:

3 Likes