The SSiW Annual Party 2018 - June 2nd - JOIN THE HANGOUT!

Me too, of course, that goes without saying. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yr Atom closes at 4.30pm.

Thereā€™s also Pantri Blakeman, up quite a steep set of stairs, near the bus station. I canā€™t find their closing time though.

Iā€™m leaving partner and plant at her parents, near Caerloyw, and then driving on ā€“ about a couple of hours, according to Google Maps, so leaving after lunch would probably mean arriving towards 4pm. I would be delighted to tag along with whatever may be happening :slight_smile:

1 Like

The group from QuĆ©bec will be there at 11am if anyoneā€™s around that early to meet up with them.

1 Like

Just checked. Pantri Blakeman closes at 3pm Monday to Friday, but at 4pm on Saturdays.

2 Likes

Weā€™re looking at around 80 people attending the party this year, so itā€™s going to be great fun meeting everyone!

The plan is for the doors to open at 6.30 with the party kicking off at 7pm. The location is the Halliwell Centre, Trinity St David University, College Rd, Carmarthen SA31 3EP.

They say this about parking: Please note that there is limited parking on site and a pay and display system is in place at Ā£ 1.50 half day Ā£2.50 for the whole day, you can pay by cash or mobile app but the car park is actually a reasonable size so I canā€™t see it being a big problem.

Before the party:

There is the option to meet up with our friends from QuƩbec at 11am in Pantri Blakeman, but that will be too early for many of you travelling distances.

@karengo is planning to visit the National Botanic Garden of Wales during the Saturday, so if anyone is interested in that, best plan is to send a PM to Karen.

My parents have postponed their visit, so Iā€™m now a bit more available to meet up with people. If anyone wants to meet in the afternoon and have a wander around Carmarthen, I suggest that we meet at Yr Atom at 2pm, and we can have a dishgled/panad and go for a walk for an hour or so. PM me if you want my mobile number to keep in contact.

After the party:

There was a suggestion that people might like to visit Parc Dinefwr on Sunday. Itā€™s a fantastic place with the ruins of a castle built by Lord Rhys and the princes of Deheubarth, acres of parkland with fallow deer and an ancient breed of white cattle, and Newton House, a stately home where the rooms are not roped off and you can touch and examine things. (If anyone has seen my photo on Facebook, thatā€™s where Iā€™m trying on a tophat in the butlerā€™s room :smile:)

But, it is located just outside Llandeilo - about 30 minutes drive from Carmarthen - so it depends on whether people want to stay around to do that. I would have 3 spaces (4 at a squash) in my car for people without transport.

Or, if you havenā€™t visited the Botanical Gardens on the Saturday, that would also be an option.

6 Likes

There are also Aberglassney Gardens, Castell Carreg Cennen, Ferryside beachā€¦ and much else.

3 Likes

Aha! Someone that knows the area better than I do - all suggestions welcome John!

1 Like

Anyone travelling from the east who wants to swing into Swansea Iā€™m looking after the Siop Siarad in TÅ· Tawe until 12:00 and then catching the next train to Carms with a plan of meeting up where ever people are by that point! :slight_smile:

Parc Dinefwr! Newton House! May you have warm, SUNNY weather for that visit . . . :slight_smile:

Llanstephan ? Castle. Also Llanelli coastal path. Pembrey Park is nice, but a bit roadworky at present. Thats where I am now.

Plenty of narrow gauge and miniture railways around if thats your thing.

Gower, Tenby, etceterah etcererah. :grinning:

O ie, Gwili Railway is one. Thatā€™s quite a nice outing.

1 Like

So, just to confirm ā€¦ pre-party meet will be in yr atom from 2pm onwards? Is that correct? Iā€™ll not arrive until 3 at the earliest I think. Looking forward to it though.

2 Likes

Yes @gruntius Iā€™m planning to be there at 2pm and to hang around to greet people that arrive. Perhaps when a little group has formed they can wander off and explore the centre of Carmarthen, and Iā€™ll wait for later arrivals. Iā€™ll probably have to leave around 4pm though to get home again and change for the party. Itā€™s 30 minutes between Llandysul and Carmarthen.

3 Likes

We are still ok to park in the Uni are we Dee, please? Happy to pay. Just mobilty considerations :blush:. So we might just go straight to Party. To avoid double journey.
Btw how many ate attending? Do we just sit anywhere? etc. No panic to answer this, Dee. Fri or Dat will be ok. Thanks. John.

Iā€™ve not heard otherwise from the Uni so I would assume youā€™re fine to park there.

There are around 80 people coming in total, and I think there will be 8 to a table, but weā€™re planning to encourage you all to move about and meet different people over the course of the evening anyway :smile:

2 Likes

Great, thanks, Dee

Is there a dress code then @Deborah-SSi?

1 Like

We usually go for ā€œsmart, casualā€ as the dress code :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And hereā€™s a heads up for those of you who canā€™t make it - weā€™re planning/hoping to have a Hangout running during the party, so at least you can drop in on us for a while.

The link will be posted here once weā€™re up and running - if you havenā€™t joined in a Hangout before, it seems to work best either in the Google Hangout app, or using the Chrome browser. Firefox and MS Edge definitely DONā€™T like it.

Hopefully see lots of you tomorrow!

3 Likes