The SSiW Welsh Book Club šŸ“– šŸ“š šŸ‘“

I thought that I would give ā€œPeter Moore Y Gwaethaf oā€™r Gwaethafā€ a try, although it is not my favourite kind of book, as it is in Stori Sydyn. I tried Gwales, but it was unavailable. Temptation took over at that stage, and I somehow find that I have 8 books coming in the post. This was meant to be a low-spend month so that I can pay the dentist, but never mind.
I am expecting
Meddyliau Eilir by Eilir Jones
Perygl yn Sbaen by Bob Eynon
Dal y fynd, Chwynnu, Cicioā€™r bar by Sioned Williams
Llechi by Manon Steffan Ros
Oes Heddwas?, Mynd fel bom by Myfanwy Alexander.
Most (all?) of these have been described above, so thank you.
Sue

1 Like

Oes Heddwas is the first of 4 with Mynd fel Bom being the 4th. Itā€™s not a series as such but youā€™ll see characters developing if you read the other two in between.

2 Likes

Here are three great books by Dewi Prysor: Brithyll = Trout (stolen), Madarch = Mushrooms (the magic kind) and Crawia = the kind of slate you see used to make fences (stolen, twice). They tell the hilarious adventures of a colourful crew of characters. Warning! :warning: The language in these books is bad, and the behaviour is worse, but there are scenes that will have you crying with laughter. :joy: Youā€™ll likely learn some new vocab that you wonā€™t find in SSiW, or any other course for that matter! :joy: All three books are lively, funny, and well worth a read!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, thatā€™s useful info. It may be some time before I get round to reading them.
Sue

1 Like

:+1:

Cwcw - Marlyn Samuel

Marlyn is releasing her 5th book, 5 Diwrnod a Phriodas, this week so I wanted to read this first. This is her 3rd book and the 4th one that Iā€™ve read. Confused?

Translated from the back cover ā€¦
ā€œSheā€™s your sister!ā€

ā€œHalf sister. I hardly know the girl! And Iā€™m not keen to get to know her either, understand.ā€

Two sisters meet in their dadā€™s funeral. The two are so different to each other, itā€™s hard to believe that theyā€™re half sisters. So will they grasp the chance to get to know each other, or will they remain strangers for the rest of their lives?

In my opinion another enjoyable read from Marlyn Samuel. Iā€™m now very used to her writing style and her sense of humour makes these a great way to release the mind from serious every day issues that us adults have to endure. Lowri and Seren are the daughters of a recently deceased serial adulterer who, in the past, has done the dirty while married to the mothers of them both. They meet in their dadā€™s funeral but, due to their completely different backgrounds, donā€™t exactly hit it off at first. Lowri is a high earning attorney with a nice house and seemingly perfect life, Seren is a motorbike riding, leather wearing, straight-talking type of woman. But you canā€™t chose your family.

The same as I wrote for Cicioā€™r Bwced, Llwch yn yr Haul and MilionĆŖrsā€¦ This is a grown-upā€™s book so not an easy read like those aimed at teenagers or learners but I wouldnā€™t say it was difficult either. Marlyn uses straightforward, simple language thatā€™s very accessible so I wouldnā€™t think it would be impossible even for beginners and certainly ok for intermediate readers.

1 Like

Iā€™m delighted to say Iā€™ve finished Y Stafell Ddirgel gan Marion Eames. Delighted because itā€™s overā€¦

Itā€™s rare for me not to recommend a book, but honestly, I think this one will work for a pretty select audience, specifically those interested in Quakerism and religious persecution in the seventeenth century.

The book tells the story of Rowland Ellis, a squire near Dolgellau who converts to Quakerism, which changes his life forever as his friends and family are persecuted for their beliefs.

Unfortunately for me itā€™s written in the vocab of the period so I was wading through Acts of Tolerance, the commonwealth, the Light within, bearing witness, taking oaths, seizure of property, suffering persecution, Papists / Baptists / Quakers / other sects, people being dauntless / presumptuous / meek / tranquil. And I just couldnā€™t get through all the vocab to enjoy the story.

I donā€™t think that it helped that itā€™s a mid twentieth century historical novel, as theyā€™re really different in style to contemporary tastes. People are persecuted and bad things happen, but then you just move onto the next chapter, usually after Rowland admires somebody for their tranquility and faith in the face of such suffering. Maybe if I were reading it in English Iā€™d find it intensely moving and appreciate his inner struggle and personal growth, but Iā€™m not a good enough reader and I really just couldnā€™t get into it. Instead of relating to a universal story of faith, I was bogged down in trying to understand what was being said. I only finished it because Iā€™m stubborn.

I feel a bit bad to be so negative about it as I know itā€™s a classic, but I recently heard an author comment they they had tried to make their recent book one people wanted to read, ā€œnot like Y Stafell Ddirgelā€. So I donā€™t think Iā€™m the only one to feel this way.

And on that note, I think thatā€™s me done with the first language TGAU prose texts. Although I havenā€™t enjoyed every book, Iā€™ve enjoyed the project as a whole. I was surprised how much they differed in complexity, from the extremely readable to this beast. My favourite is probably still I Bleā€™r Aeth Haul Y Bore by Eirug Wyn - that genuinely moved me. If youā€™re regularly reading books for native speakers in Welsh, donā€™t be afraid to give some of these a go. Itā€™ll broaden your horizons and boost your confidence.

Now Iā€™m off to read something funā€¦

6 Likes

Cai by Eurig Salisbury. This novel won the Prose Medal at the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol, 2016

Cai%20cover%20sml
Cai is a student in the art department at Aberystwyth University. He hopes to continue his post-graduate research into the work of the reclusive artist Aeres Vaughan who lives in a large house in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately Caiā€™s application for a grant is turned down, possibly because he wants to write his thesis in Welsh. Help arrives unexpectedly in the form of an offer of funding from a man called Esell who represents a private foundation. Cai is soon invited to Plas Helygog to meet Aeres Vaughan. There, with the help of another Aberystwyth student Ffion whose father lives nearby, he starts to uncover the dark secret behind some of the paintings hanging in the house.

I know Aberystwyth well, having been a student there myself many years ago and I have visited many times since. I also happen to live not that far from the fictitious Plas Helygog. The locations are well described and Eurig Salisbury conjures an atmosphere of suspense. Cai is suitably obsessed with his subject and Ffion is drawn into helping with his research.

I felt that the story sagged in the middle. There comes a point where nothing seems to be happening, other than Cai looking at paintings, searching through old documents and piecing together letters written by Aeres Vaughan which reveal that her nieceā€™s death affected her badly. In fact I actually put the book down for several months. However, if you push on through the dull bit, the end is swift and dramatic as the details of the mystery are finally revealed.

The book is suited to confident readers, but after looking up a fair bit of vocabulary at the start relating to art, painting, sketching etc, it didnā€™t seem too difficult.

2 Likes

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed ā€œCysgod Y Crymanā€ (Shadow of the Sickle) by Islywyn Ffowc Elis. I thought the subject matter (shift in society after WW2) and the language would slow me down, but the story is so gripping it barely lasted me three nights :upside_down_face: I could imagine this as a TV drama, with the scenes unfolding before my eyes (a bit like Brideshead Revisited!). Having read another book in the ā€œCam at y Cewriā€ series - ā€œWilliam Jonesā€ by T Rowland Hughes (about hard life in the quarries and mines) - I thought Iā€™d pass on my hearty recommendations. The novels in the Cam at y Cewri series have been adapted for learners, without losing their true essence, so you can enjoy the classic literature without struggling. There are helpful notes at the bottom of each page so youā€™re not constantly reaching for the dictionary or trying to work out the sense of unfamiliar phrases. Theyā€™re very, very good!! :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

On that, I really recommend the poetry anthology in the series. Poetry normally isnā€™t my thing, but Iā€™ve really enjoyed this collection.

2 Likes

I enjoyed your review, by the sound of it far more than you enjoyed the bookā€¦

2 Likes

There is actually a study guide because itā€™s a TGAU text. For anyone interested in the themes I might recommend reading that instead!

1 Like

Itā€™s useful to know what books NOT to buy!
Sue

2 Likes

On which note I read Blasu this weekend, by Manon Steffan Ros. Oh my, that was a warm relaxing bath and a bar of chocolate after the blincinā€™ Stafell Ddirgel.

Iā€™d had a copy for a while but had been putting it off, because for some reason I had it in my head I found MSR a ā€œhardā€ author. Well, I couldnā€™t have been more wrong. Iā€™ve obviously improved as a reader since I came to that conclusion and it was pure bliss to read. Like coming home after battling through cross country in the wind and the rain.

At least from a language perspectiveā€¦ From a story perspective there were lots of tears!

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation of Blasu. I also somehow had the feeling that Manon Steffan Ros was ā€œhardā€, but it sounds like a good book to read next when Iā€™ve finished Y Plygain Olaf. Also my reading skill have probably improved since I bought the book and then put it to one side.

I really donā€™t know where youā€™ve all got the idea from that Manon Steffan Rosā€™s books are ā€œhardā€! :rofl: Iā€™ve found them immensely readable and enjoyable, even in my early days as a Welsh reader. The dialogues when the characters speak are easy to follow and also helpful as a learner. In addition to novels for adults she has also written for the ā€œStori Sydynā€ series which are short and aimed at encouraging people to read in Welsh, and also for teenagers (such as Pluen). These are a really good place to start with reading her work and will leave you feeling more confident in your reading and wanting to progress :slight_smile: Sheā€™s one of my favourites as I donā€™t need to keep reaching for a dictionary and the stories are captivating. :slight_smile: I can be persuaded to part with these two if any one would like to make me an offer. Theyā€™re so good, Iā€™ve read them twice already! :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s because the first one of hers I read was Llyfr Glas Nebo, which is very dialectal. I enjoyed it, but it took me a few chapters to get in the zone. And then Iā€™d picked up Llanw but also not slid right into it so put it down again.

Moral of the story, never say never! Keep calm, keep reading, and keep coming back to things!

2 Likes

Iā€™m with Caroline on this one one, sorry Cetra :rofl:I really struggled with my first MSR book, Y Stelciwr which is another title in the Stori Sydyn series. It probably didnā€™t help that Iā€™d only read a couple of Mynediad books at the time and was very early in my Welsh learning journey. It also didnā€™t help that I didnā€™t like the story but I persisted with it sporadically whilst reading other titles by other authors. Everyone was raving about Llyfr Glas Nebo so I duly bought that and left it on the shelf to gather dust, fearing to go there after my earlier experience. When I did I was surprised how much easier I found it. I got through it fairly rapidly and I enjoyed reading it (for reading experience that is, not necessarily the content). I tend to use the library (lucky me living in Wales :grin:) or buy from charity shops so now tend to pick up anything and give it a whirl. This thread has been brilliant for suggestions/reviews BTW. For someone who is not an avid reader Iā€™ve really pushed myself to read Welsh books. Since starting to learn Welsh Iā€™ve read more and used the library more than at any other time in my life and for me itā€™s right up there among the best things Iā€™ve ever done. Iā€™m also now reading more English books as well. Itā€™s not been easy but itā€™s a definite win on so many levels so Iā€™ll echo/paraphrase Carolineā€™s words - daliwch ati!!

3 Likes

Iā€™m actually loving hearing people share their procrastination and worries. I know I do it when I I post, but itā€™s so easy to only show the books ticked off the list, the ā€œachievementsā€, not the messy feelings and frustrations along the way.

2 Likes

Books started but not yet finished? At least five, plus a few where I have dipped in and looked at the first page.
Sue

2 Likes