The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

That’s the strength of the Welsh economy. :wink:

3 Likes

A colleague of mine mentioned he was giving away some of the books he’s aquired over the years so I asked him if he had any suitable for learners. He has given me some which, although not directly aimed at learners (some are aimed at children though), he thought might be suitable.
If anyone would like one or more of these, just let me know and if you don’t happen to be close enough to Caernarfon to pick them up I’d be happy to post them to you wherever you are.

1. Chwedlau Gwlad Groeg - Juli Phillips
  2. Storiau Deg Munud - Elina Owen
  3. Cipio’r Cerddor - Hilma lloyd Edwards
  4. Trwy Awyr Wenfflam - J Selwyn Lloyd
  5. Y Saethau Duon - J Selwyn Lloyd
  6. Straeon . dot . com - various, edited by Gordon Jones
  7. Llygad Y Ddrycin - J Selwyn Lloyd
3 Likes

Ffyrdd y Wlad - Welsh Whisperer

A entertaining and humorous book by the Welsh Whisperer. It’s not quite an autobiography, more like a collection of anecdotes from his career as a welsh country folk singer. The language is fairly straightforward and easy to understand. I actually found it easier than some level Uwch books for learners I’ve read. It’s only 80 pages long, including plenty of pictures. Also contains the lyrics to some of his most popular songs. :articulated_lorry: :tractor: :man_farmer:

5 Likes

I heard about the Amdani series last year. I understood that 20 new books were published at various levels of learning. I have not bought any yet as there are 4 publishers and I found it difficult to know which would be right for me and could only find a couple of books with each publisher. (:roll_eyes: I am not good at this.)
Does anyone know if there is one list of these new books, complete with the relevant levels and which of the 4 publishers have them? In my search I found another older book but also under the Amdani name so I am a little confused. Though it doesn’t take much to confuse me these days :joy:

The first post on this thread

gives a link to a description of the books on parallel.cymru.
Sue

4 Likes

Brilliant, thank you, I will have a browse later. :hugs:

Cheers @hishev
I can sing along to lori Mansel Davies now. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’ve always been on the look out for Cymraeg Science Fiction. So I was pleased to discover: "Mari Wyn’ by Sara Ashton and published by Y Lolfa

It’s set in a dystopian, climate-change ravaged, future Blaenau Ffestiniog; if that hasn’t got your excitement levels through the roof, this possibly may not be the book for you.
At a mere 170 pages , it my be good for those stepping up from books aimed at learners. It is in Northern dialect. A nice touch is that the English spoken is reported with Cymraeg phonetic spelling.

4 Likes

I should have contributed to this thread more before. May I make another recommendation for those ready to leap beyond novels for learners and the wonderful Stori Sydan books?

Cicio’r Bar by Sioned William, tells the stories of three different students at Aberystwyth University in the 1980s. You don’t have to have gone to Aberystwyth University to enjoy the book, but you will perhaps enjoy it more if you did so! lots of drunkeness and heartache as you would expect!

2 Likes

And how do we work out that it’s set in the future?

:wink:

4 Likes

Well it could be a parallel universe? Maybe I guessed it was the future as the seas had risen and obliterated coastal communities.

There is a bit of a clue. It says so on y Lolfa’s web site. Credit card takes another hit. Thanks, @Y_Ddraig_Las. It also says the reading age is 12-18. I think that means “much too difficult at the moment”. I doubt if there is anything in English that I could read now but couldn’t read at 18. Never mind, I’ll add it to the pile intended for reading one day.
Sue

1 Like

It says ‘set in 2029’ on the Y Lolfa webiste, which will be the future for the next 10 years, it was published in 2015 if I recall (I don’t have the book to hand).

It makes sense now that it’s a Young Adults book, as Mari is a teenager. Maybe YA books are generally a little easier for learners. Age guides weren’t particularly helpful in English, I expect the same is true in Welsh. It says it’s part of a series, I may need to explore this series!

1 Like

My point being mainly that it would need several direct nuclear hits to make it noticeably worse… :wink:

1 Like

:astonished: but it’s a lovely town.

1 Like

It is - I’m deeply fond of it. But it’s got some real structural problems with poverty, and is probably the clearest example of a damaged, post-industrial town in the north of Wales.

Anyway, it turned out not to be quite as punchy, clear and immediate a joke as I’d hoped…:wink:

4 Likes

I think we both got the joke - but a comment along the same lines from someone living in southern England seemed inappropriate.

1 Like

It had me wondering as I first assumed that you had read the book and that I had perhaps missed something important in the words I still don’t know!

1 Like

I now have “Mari Wyn”. It arrived less than 24 hours after I placed the order. Full marks to Y Lolfa.
Sue

2 Likes

I got it :grin:

2 Likes