Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Forgive me siaronjames, I can’t remember how to tag your personally!! Maybe you could remind me??? Thanks for your comments, very helpful xx

1 Like

@claire-watkins, all you do is add the @ symbol in front of the persons name.

@Darthcider Thanks, please let me know if this has worked…

@claire-watkins, worked just fine.

1 Like

@Darthcider, can you also answer why it says 5 Minuter by my name (Like yours does)? Is it because I’ve achieved the 5 minute challenge?

Yes, that’s what the 5-minuter means, and the colours of the speech bubbles change according to other ‘tasks’ which are explained here Pink, red, green, blue and beyond... what do they mean?

2 Likes

@siaronjames Thanks, thought I’d already uploaded those sentences but have had a right faff! Have recorded them on one app, need to now plug my phone into the computer then upload to clyp.it then copy link across to form. Will sort it tomorrow. Just not enough minutes in my day some days!!

3 Likes

What is the difference between frustrated and frustrating?

For instance, i can’t seem to figure out the difference between saying
'you are frustrating’
you are frustrated’

In my head they both read
Ti’n rhwystredig

Ti’n rhwystredig. You are frustrating. You frustrate someone else. You are active.
Ti’n cael dy rhwystredig. You are frustrated. You are passive.
Ti’n teimlo yn rhwystredig. You feel frustrated.

Probably a bit clunky and I think @garethrking would have something to say about it if he were awake at 04.45, but some of us lead sad lives.

I am sorry for contradicting, but the dictionaries that I have access to (including Gareth’s) all say unequivocally that rhwystredig means frustrated.
The GPC gives the rather clunky rhwystredigaethus for frustrating, but I would probably use a construction with the verbnoun rhwystro instead.
Thinking about it some more I think rhwystredig can be used in impersonal statements to mean frustrating:
Mae’r traffig yn rhwystredig - The traffic is frustrating
But usually when you find someone frustrating, you want to say that you feel frustrated by them, rather than a general attribution of character.
Some more insight in this matter is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Geiriadur yr academi gives Rhwystrol as frustrating (adjective)

Dim problem @Hendrik

There are a few other -edig words that also have the double -ed/-ing meaning - notably siomedig = disappointed and disappointing. Context always makes it clear, of course.

By the way, I’ve also heard ffrwstredig for frustrated/frustrating - happens to sound awfully similar to rhwystredig, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

I’ve been doing a past paper in Welsh, and am failing to clarify in my mind the following:

Does gen i ddim syniad pryd mae’r trên yn cyrraedd.

In this sentence, why is it pryd and not pan? Diolch.

My understanding is that it’ll be because there’s an implied question here, whereas using pan would give you a sentence meaning something like: I didn’t have any idea at the time the train was arriving

2 Likes

Thank you - in particular for the example. That’s made things quite a bit clearer in my mind. : )

1 Like

I think I’ve heard “Enw fi yw” for “My name is”.
Is it possible that I heard (and remember) it right? :laughing:

Yup, the whole thing is “fy enw i yw…”, but you get “enw fi yw…” when you apply speech-shrinkage :wink:

1 Like

Oh one of the things I like best of Welsh language is its amazing speech-shrinkage potential! :grin:
I think I’m going to remember this one. :wink:

1 Like

A or B
I seem to recall "Neu A neu B’. from the 90s. Now, Um reading “naill ai A n eu B”. Which should I use in actual speech please? Or should I just use emphasis with the single neu?