Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Sounds plausible… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello!

Does anyone know a Discord-Channel for Welsh speakers?

Would anyone who knows what a discord-channel is please tell me, as curiosity may otherwise do to me what it did to the cat!

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’m with henddraig - what’s a Discord-Channel? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know there is one for all celtic langauges which then has a Welsh channel (or whatever it’s called :smile:) here’s the code: KWeDsHt

@aran and @henddraig - it’s a chat thingy, I’m not very familiar myself so that’s all I can say :smile:

2 Likes

Do you mean this one https://discord.gg/qdTSWPb ?
I joined this channel, but there aren’t many Welsh speakers/learners

Discord-Channels are kind of like Teamspeak. It’s a server where people can meet up, talk and chat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sort of like the Forum? @Novem does this discord thing mean anything to you? I believe some people chat yn y Gymraeg on Facebook or twitter???sorry @Cookie, I’m the wrong generation! Think Nain!

1 Like

Oh, so the codes change? Or there are different ones? I’m very new to discord :smiley:
Yeah, I meant that one :stuck_out_tongue: Are there not enough Welsh learners? I think I saw some conversation there today :slight_smile: Have you tried going to the #Cymraeg-Welsh text channel?

@henddraig - It’s sort of like the forum, but instead of it being neatly (or somewhat neatly) organised into topics, you have just one “topic” that moves a bit faster and with shorter messages. Like a group conversation :slight_smile: (I think)

2 Likes

Yeah I’m the one spamming that Channel :smiley: The other text channels are way more alive

1 Like

Ah :smile: Well, then I haven’t heard of any, sorry!

I notice that @Y_Ddraig_Las makes an appearance in the Cymraeg_Welsh channel, as well as @Cookie

3 Likes

Hi, Paul. It’s just accent. The question comes up regularly on here, so you might find some interesting stuff by scrolling up or searching. In the mean time, here is a clip of Jonathan Davies pronouncing it “Cymrag”

1 Like

Maybe it depends which valley? I certainly know it as ‘eye’ from Abettawe/Llanelli , but possibly from time in the north! I associated @Iestyn’s pronounciation witn Gwent, but he lives in Llandysul!

1 Like

But he used to live in Caerffili. I think.

1 Like

Aha! All is now clear! Guess where my Gwent relations originated!

Hi all. I often listen to tommo on radio Cymru on the way home from work and he always says something that I can not make out. Just before someone picks the number on the the phone in competition, he says something like ‘con I oft te’. Can anyone help on this? Diolch

That’s probably '‘Co ni off, te!’ - like ‘here we go!’…:slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ve got to love Tommo. Some time ago I made the witty (or so I thought) comment about avoiding him on the radio. Sorry if anyone took it seriously :frowning: I find him to be funny and ok to understand, possibly due to his other job as the pitch-side commentator at Park-y-Scarlets (rugby stadium), where he reads everything out in Welsh and then in English :slight_smile: I’m sure I walked past him one night, trying to get his car out of the locked VIP compound! Somehow, it didn’t seem an ideal time for me to try out my Welsh on him.

1 Like

I recently heard a married couple whom I know reasonably well in ‘heated discussion’ and from the bits I understood it sounded like she was using 'chi rather than ‘ti’
So the question is, if someone who you know well shouts at/argues with you using chi not ti, does that mean that they really are very annoyed with you? (Or, in my desire to evesdrop on a conversation greater than my understanding of the conversation!)

1 Like