Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

[quote=“henddraig, post:2319, topic:3153”]
Releaved :smile: [/quote]
Ooh, you have new leaves?!? (Sorry, I couldn’t resist!)

2 Likes

Diolch eto Aran,

I take your point about voice and inflexion conveying the meaning too–in fact when the cat next door comes mooching she manages to get her point across perfectly that way without speaking a word of Welsh or English :crying_cat_face:

Hwyl,
Marilyn

2 Likes

Thanks Aran. I think I’ll mostly use this as a carrot to help me press on and finish Level 1 asap, although that gives me some helpful things right away for my pidgin parenting-welsh – “mae isiau e ni fynd nawr” "=? “we need to go now” whether it’s quite right or not.

I realize now I encountered “ni” briefly in Lesson 7 of the old course, the extra one about conversations, “mae isiau i ni siarad sysnaeg nawr” “I need us to speak english now”. I’m sure there’s a lot more to learn about using it but I’ve heard second language parenting enough to know that it ought to work even if it’s not 100 % right.

1 Like

Yes - you can always replace chdi with ti, but you CAN’T always replace ti with chdi :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sorry to confuse the thread by answering a February question, but I was brought up in Barogoed (well, Gilfach, actually), and know the answer to this one… It’s not what you think…

Bargoed was the name of the railway station on the Rhymney Railway, which was built just above Pont Aberbargod (You can still see it just next to the “new” road bridge at the bottom of Aberbargoed Hill). The new town that got the railways station was called Robertstown at the time, if i remember rightly.

Pont Aberbargod is named for the place where the Bargod Rhymni runs into the Rhymni river.

The Bargod Rhymni stream (which comes from Fochriw, via Deri) contains the word Bargod in the meaning of a boundary, and corresponds to the Bargod Taf which runs down “Cwm Bargod”, the next valley over again, but both streams start close together in between Rhymney and Merthyr, and were presumably at one stage considered the boundaries of the Taf and Rhymney areas - possibly in terms of the Medieval cwmwds or similar.

There was also the additional confusion of the south end of the enw town being built on the land of the Gilfach Fargoed mansion, so the railways decided to take a halfway hose between Aberbargod and Golfach Fargod, and call it Bargoed, with the added change of spelling to suit other local hotspots such as Hengoed (pronounced locally as hengod, but actually referring to an old wood).

4 Likes

Argh, now my head is running round in an open loop trying to think of examples… I might have to put some 80s music on just to get something different stuck in my head…!

Great, I think that’s the best approach :slight_smile: And you’re right on the money with ‘mae eisiau i ni fynd nawr’… :star2:

1 Like

Well you can’t use chdi in the preterite, for example - you can’t say Be’ wedest chdi? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ooh, I just tried, and I absolutely couldn’t. How rather lovely.

[tries to pretend he knew perfectly well what the preterite was…]

6 Likes

Is “Lle wyt chdi” in the same category? And if so, is it more a matter of assimilation?

Ww, yes, that doesn’t work at all… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m tempted to ask for the rules, but I strongly suspect that the best advice again will simply be to listen to lots and lots of authentic Welsh and simply assimilate them unconciously to the point where you just “say what sounds right”!

4 Likes

As a general rule of thumb, I would say that “chdi” is not used when it’s got words around it that expect “ti”.

In both the examples above, you have a word that has “run” to accomdate the “ti”. Ble wyt ti has “wyt” (there would be a (®yd)ych for chi, for instance), Beth wedest ti has another change. I ould add “dy object di”, as in dy gar di, dy gath di, but I know that just as we say “cath ti” in the south, you hear “cath chdi” in the north, but I don;t think you’d ever hear “dy gath chdi”.

I am open to correction on the latter point, and open to a grammatical explanation of the former, though I suspect it will include words I don’t understand.

4 Likes

Hopefully you won’t mind be popping into ‘Pobl y Cwm land’ for a moment, but on 3rd April’s episode around 13 minutes in Garry comes through the door and the subtitles say “give us two minutes, will you?” but oh my word I replayed it and replayed it, got family to listen to it and then replayed it again and again and I’m still scratching my head as to how he said it Welsh. It sounds to me along the lines of "y dau funud a ni ni-ni ni-ni" but it could well be that he’d regressed to an episode of Mork and Mindy for one brief moment. Any offers very gratefully received!

I’d guess you’re looking at some variation on the general theme of ‘dyro ddau funud i ni wnei di?’…

2 Likes

Can “Hwyl” mean “Hello” as well as “Goodbye”? just a greeting that I was given by someone from Lampeter today. On the other hand, I can have that effect on people sometimes :smile:

1 Like

Perhaps with an oni in there as well, as in oni wnei di ?

Can I ask a new question? I was wondering why you say “ar y teledu” but “yn y dafarn”. They come in level 2. Thanks if anyone îs watching!

“on the telly” and “in the pub” if I’m recalling correctly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The simple answer, as always, is: because :smile:
It is not all that different to English, though: on the telly, in the pub - does that explain it?

Drat! @Richmountart beat me to it!

4 Likes

And that’s all down to 7 months of intense SSiW! I’m enjoying learning a language like never before!

2 Likes