Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

My experience in the south tends to be “i fe?” Or “on’d yw e?”

1 Like

you’ll also hear ‘ond yw e’ in the south (just to throw another thing into the mix!) :smiley:

There is a whole thread on Rownd a Rownd . Look for it on the Q search on the top line. It runs to 408 postings, but you could dip in and out!!

1 Like

Bit of a mix-up - ‘ond ydy’ sounds northern, ‘e’ is southern.

‘Ond fydd e’ - as above, really it’s ‘onid fydd’ -> ‘oni fydd’ -> you’ll often hear just ‘fydd’ (or sometimes a kind of ‘nfydd’).

Diolch. I always knew I was a mix up, but didn’t realise how deeply that is true. I know fo and o but always say fe and e, unless I stop, think, decide which is most appropriate and change. I suspect all that pausing is worse than being mixed up, but I could be wrong!

1 Like

You never have to change how you say it. Can use either everywhere and be understood. First language speakers don’t tend to change depending on who they speak to, so learners don’t have to either.

3 Likes

Oh, I’ve been reading that religiously since I started watching it religiously :slight_smile: I did wonder if I was better posting in that thread, but I figured the isio/moyn thing was relevant here.

I met someone last year who was very RP English - he sounded like a BBC continuity announcer from the 1950’s, but first language Welsh, and he was probably around 25. I guess if you’re mam iaith and you learn english, you could pick up a posh accent from whatever source is teaching you.

Oh, yes! Like the Maharaja’s sons and other offspring of Chiefs, local Kings etc, who went to Eton!! Or had an English Nanny, as in Anna and the King of Siam!!

Funny how reading this kind of thing can suddenly make you doubt things you’ve never even thought about! Would someone mind confirming if is ok to use ‘ar gyfer’ with time, like this?

“Oes gyda ti gynlluniau ar gyfer dydd Llun?”

Diolch!

1 Like

Hollol iawn… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - because this isn’t talking about duration of a period. Apart from the two instances I mentioned, ar gyfer really IS very common, and correct. Also doubles for i quite often, when this means ‘for’:

Mae gynnon ni rywbeth i chi
Mae gynnon ni rywbeth ar eich cyfer chi
We’ve got something for you

3 Likes

Sorry @garethrking, I didn’t really mean to tag you into action! It was a bit of an unnecessary question actually - just having one of those moments in the learning process. In fact now that we’re here, I wonder if there even an alternative to ‘ar gyfer’ in the phrase ‘dy gynlluniau ar gyfer yfory’?

2 Likes

I would certainly go for that as first option, I think (remembering though that I’m not a native speaker - but it feels fine to me) - and I think am would be fine there as well: dy gynlluniau am yfory

2 Likes

You’d certainly hear ‘dy gynlluniau am yfory’ in casual speech…

2 Likes

Thanks both! Think you should enter Dysgwr y Flwyddyn… :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m game… :wink:

4 Likes

That would be the funniest TV in years! Them asking you how you use your Welsh! :imp:

1 Like

It would be good if I came second, wouldn’t it? :grin:

1 Like