Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Y Fro Gymraeg is the Welsh speaking part of Wales. Y Fro can be both that and the Vale. So depends on context. More likely the former

3 Likes

[quote=“aran, post:3299, topic:3153”]
How close to each other are they? It’s very common for translators not to remember that they’ve translated the same phrase a different way already, if they’re not right next to each other. [/quote]

They are actually one right after the other. The form has two family prices - one for families with two parents the other for families with one parent (each with all children under 16) and these are the additional information on them. If they had even been across the page I might have not noticed but they are, indeed, right next to each other!

You would think an organization like Cadw would do a better job … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nope, you’d need ‘mae o/hi yr un sbit’…

That sounds like a translator getting interrupted, or interrupting themselves for a coffee, or getting bored and feeling like a change - but yup, not high marks on the consistency front… :wink:

2 Likes

I was raised to avoid repeating the same words in essays. If educated the same way, the translator maybe did not consider that they might be seen as a model for learners and worded the sentences inwhat seemed the nicest way?

So I think I’ve figured something out, but I’d like to know that I’m actually right in my grammar.

Dw i’n hoffi (xx) = “I like (xx)” (but a more literal translation is “I am liking (xx)”)
Hoffi i (xx) = “I like (xx)” (or “I like (it)”)

Am I right? I’m really hoping I’m right, because if I’m right, it means Welsh is starting to make sense! :smiley:

1 Like

This might be ‘hoffwn i’ - I would like? :slight_smile:

If it’s ‘hoffa i’ - then mm, technically exists but can’t imagine anyone actually saying it (although you can never rule out strange stuff down south…;-)).

4 Likes

Just wondering what the correct word for to “recognise” someone would be . I have always thought that to know someone is “nabod” and to recognise someon is to “cydnabod” them but I was told by a couple of people that to say "I recognise her " would be “dwi’n nabod hi”

I’ve always used ‘adnabod’.

2 Likes

[quote=“gruntius, post:3312, topic:3153, full:true”]
I’ve always used ‘adnabod’.[/quote]
And that’s what Gareth King’s dictionary has for recognize (a person). It also says that cydnabod is to recognize (a fact).

3 Likes

So is that the same as ‘to know’?

‘Nabod’ is to know a person or place.
‘Gwybod’ is to know a fact.

‘Adnabod’ is to to recognise a person or place.
‘Cydnabod’ is to recognise a fact.

Does it include recognising places too?

3 Likes

[quote=“gruntius, post:3314, topic:3153”]
Does it include recognising places too?[/quote]
Not in that entry, anyway. Perhaps Gareth King will chime in here with some additional clarity?

1 Like

What I know is that ‘nabod’ and ‘adnabod’ relate to a person/people, and ‘gwybod’ and ‘cydnabod’ relate to facts. I’ve heard that ‘nabod’ includes places too so was just surmising that that might be the same for ‘adnabod’. We’ll see. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He is a lovely, lovely person who is for ever helping us and, I am sure, when he has time, he will willingly elucidate the different ways of recognising people and places and of knowing them, but he is not, as far as I know, psychic, so asking @garethrking with the @ may help him to know our problem! (pretty please! :smile:)

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty good overview. You will also often just hear ‘nabod’ as ‘recognise’ - the line between knowing a person and recognising a person isn’t the kind of black and white thing that often matches neatly between languages…

5 Likes

In the modern spoken language this is essentially as correct as it is simple.

Nabod is indeed for place as as person:

Dw i’n nabod Paris yn dda - I know Paris well
Dw i’n gwybod mai Paris ydi prifddinas Ffrainc - I know that Paris is the capital of France

Similarly adnabod:

O’n ni’n adnabod copa’r Wyddfa o bell - we recognised the summit of Snowdon from afar

Cydnabod means ‘acknowledge’, but this is indeed what ‘recognise’ means when talking about a fact:

Mae pawb yn cydnabod mai’r Wyddfa ydi’r mynydd ucha yng Nghymru - everyone recognises (= acknowledges) that Snowdon is the highest mountain in Wales

17 Likes

Thank you, always happy to have intuition confirmed. :smile:

2 Likes

Oh, ok so I’m not completely right on my grammar yet. Good to know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Random question: Is Cwm Elan pronounced in a similar way to Elland? (without the d).

We Someone was compiling funny bloopers but I can’t find that thread. One from me from a couple of weeks ago.

Talking about the brother and sister you will be singing at our wedding I said:

Mae gynnon nhw lysiau hyfryd (They have lovely vegetables)

Instead of mae gynnon nhw leisiau hyfryd (They have beautiful voices).

I would be very happy put a pea in the pot for that one @Iestyn @Deborah-SSi

7 Likes

I’m sure you’re not the first to mix those two up! :smile:

2 Likes