Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Does anyone know if Jonathon Hill (ITV Wales News presenter) is Welsh speaker or is learning Welsh with SSIW? He signed off the other night with ‘hywl am y tro’ which made me wonder if he had been listening to Aran. (I say Aran as I have no idea if Iestyn says the same for the south)

I don’t know about whether he is learning or not, but a lot of the news readers say “Hwyl am y tro” on English language channels.

In the South I used to hear “Da bo’” or Da bo’ chi" but I haven’t hyeard (sic) it a lot recently. Is it dying out?

1 Like

Yes, I still hear Da bo’ a lot. Admittedly, mostly out of my own mouth :slight_smile: . No, seriously, I think it’s still common around here (Swansea/Neath).

1 Like

Iestyn says “Da bo” on the Southern version of the course. IIRC, the sign off is usually:

Iestyn, “Da bo”
Cat, “Hwyl!”

I should add that it’s also how I often say goodbye at the end of our daily meeting at work… despite being the only Welsh speaker present.

3 Likes

I did search for this before asking, but couldn’t find quite what I was looking for:

Does “gyda” resist mutation? I had the sentence “Dest ti gyda phartner” on DuoLingo today and it occurred to me that another word in that position (i.e. straight after the subject of the sentence) would usually mutate. Is this because it’s from a word that originally began with a C or something? I have seen reference to “cyd â” around, but I might be clutching at straws there.

1 Like

I just looked at the examples in Glosbe. There seemed to be a mixture of it causing p to become ph and of it just staying as p🤔

If you do look, ignore the comment about the y in gyda being the clear sound. The SSiW thread that you mentioned, suggested that the clear sound is only for Northern accents.

Sorry John, I meant that mutation of Gyda itself (into Yda, for example) rather than the aspirate mutation it causes.

1 Like

Ah OK, I noticed it being mutated into chyda. Possibly only in the literary dialect though. Ateb chyda gyfarfod -Reply with a meeting, whatever that means :grin:

You are right. It wont mutate twice in speech, I don’t think. I mean it wont mutate twice from Cyd a via gyda to yda

Ah, well that it can also be chyda might indicate that my suspicion about it originally starting with a C is correct. Thanks!

2 Likes

When do you use wrtho ti vs i ti? Same with wrtho fi and i mi? Sorry about spelling as I am still doing mostly audio.

1 Like

Hi @Wren

Ok, so that is a good question…some verbs have a preferred linking word (preposition) and some have more than one which change the meaning depending on the combination.

I’m not sure how far progressed you are on the course but dweud - to say - is a good example:

On i’n dweud wrtho fe - I was telling him

So you will get a feel for which ones go with which and which have choices.

I hope this helps.

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer. I have just done Northern Level 2 Lesson 21.

So would it be:
I’m going to tell him. Dw i’n mynd i ddeud wrtho fo.
I’m going to tell it to him. Dw i’n mynd i ddeud fo iddo fo.

I’m sure I’ll pick it up. I just keep saying i ti or wrtho ti and then Aran says the other one at the moment :joy:

1 Like

Occasionally in writing you’ll see “a chyda” but normally in speech you just hear gyda.

As you say, it’s already mutated so doesn’t mutate again :slight_smile:

Yes. Perfect :+1:

Rich :slight_smile:

I would still use “wrtho fo” here as it’s coming from “ddeud” and it doesn’t really matter what’s in the middle … though I’m not a natural northern Welsh user :smile:

2 Likes

@Wren i agree with Dee here.

Deud - wrth
Gofyn - i
Siarad - efo (or any form of with, â/gyda/efo)

1 Like

I noticed a BBC catchphrase page showing the linking word for different verbs. I can’t seem to find it now :thinking:

Also - one for SE Walians -
At the moment, Y Wenhwyseg twitter account is mentioning the use of “gen i” as well as the Southern “gyda fi” in the Newport area. Does anyone still here this please?

Also, while we are on, what about “Wi” for “Dwi”?